v43?

Numerous and quite noticeable AI improvements and bug fixes.
Flabbert rewrote worker AI.​
Me - AI use hunters much more aggressively and effectively​
Me - AI now understand the value of many more building stats, like hammer output (was a big there); so it won't seem to avoid hammer buildings.​
Me - AI now sees value in placing a city close to enemy borders (it didnt before and would therefore not settle adjacent to foreign borders before this change).​
Me - fixed AI unable to upgrade units if the immediate unit in the upfgrade tree had gone obsolete, i.e. if the second or more advanced upgrade was avaialble the AI wouldn't be able to upgrade the unit.​
Many misc small things​

Me:
New city tab which holds a brief history of what the city has produced the last 5 turns it produced something.​
Reduced value of map trading, and fixed possible integer overflow case in trade code for gold amounts offered by AI.​
Reworked unit selection cycling (cutting the exe mostly out of the picture).​
Rewrote unit sightline code/logic for more interesting/complex sightlines and increased max unit sightline range from 5 to 8.​
Fixed bug in the unit sentry action that made units wake up when they shouldn't in some cases.​
Reordered unit actions quite a bit, i.e. promotions are all at the end now.​
Commanders area of effect is now visually represented on the map.​

We have fixed numerous CTD's, freezes and general bugs as well as technical improvements to code structure, caching and performance.

Blaze
Rewrote culture mechanic for plots @Blazenclaw can give more details on it.​
Fixed realistic culture not working after conquering a city... I think.​
More cultural levels.​
Added small unit upkeep to subdued animals, 0.2 gold; 0.5 for tales.​
Increased animal yield by x5 from record tale and combat arena unit actions.​
Made taxonomy folklores buildable by city.​
Updated influence driven war and emergency draft (not sure in what way)​
Flabbert - removed strom and tornado features and events from the game.

Raxo has done xml work, no idea what specifically though....
Oh, he nerfed unit awards from goody huts.​

dsmabell - German translation and probably text fixes

Misc text fixes/improvements by Blaze, Raxo and me (I only fixed text issues in dll code)

N47 - Clicking on city in domestic advisor list opens the city screen.

Last edited:
Only a few minor tweaks to civics themselves. IIRC Raxo cleaned up the pepper2000 additions for the last 5 Eras.

EDIT: I have not had the time to put in some of the tweaks I'm working on for the Medieval to Industrial Eras, this past summer and this fall. Maybe when things calm down here this winter, I can get them added in.

Yeah, I ensured that replacements aren't worse than replaced buildings, and toned down modifiers on regular buildings.
I adjusted obsoletions (probably bit too leniant with that emergency replacement on obsoletion) and requirements so you can always build thing until thing itself obsoletes.
Not sure if those things were actually in V42.1

Did some streamlining to resource providers too - there were way too many "provides X" that could exist concurrently - it could get little spammy, in trade screen, and buffed corporations too much.
Now amount of resource X for manufactured items is amount of cities at max, so 20 bones if you have 20 cities for example.
Civ4BeyondSword 2022-12-12 20-22-20-08.png
It works flawlessly since no one pointed it out until now. You can see this may be needed/required to build Resource - X on buildings, so people were reading tooltips.

42.1 was released quite a while ago. Mine is dated May 17, and I'm not sure how long it was out before I downloaded it.

As you say, the current SVN is also 42.1, but that's just because there hasn't been a public release since.

Wait, but the player's guide only mentions a v42 ?? (Compare with v41.2...)

Also, hadn't it been agreed to update the SVN = BETA version to the next (sub)version immediately after a stable version got released to prevent this kind of confusion for the players ?

(Also, since just after a major release would be the ideal moment to introduce more or less game and save breaking changes, and any hotfixes to stable could continue to use the old major version... wait, was v42.1 a hotfix ?)

Wait, but the player's guide only mentions a v42 ?? (Compare with v41.2...)

Also, hadn't it been agreed to update the SVN = BETA version to the next (sub)version immediately after a stable version got released to prevent this kind of confusion for the players ?

(Also, since just after a major release would be the ideal moment to introduce more or less game and save breaking changes, and any hotfixes to stable could continue to use the old major version... wait, was v42.1 a hotfix ?)
We only release minor version numbers shortly after a major version number release if and only if critical bugs in the major release gets fixed before any big changes has been made; and we usually do it as a patch rather than a full rerelease.
Since v42 was released many months ago, the next release will be a major version number increment and the flag tooltip will then say v43.1.BETA for SVN version after the version that will be on modDB.

But, along with abovementioned issues, isn't it weird that the beta branch follows a stable version release, instead of preceding it ?
The SVN preceded using Github. And was always before Github the "beta" branch. It still is. Github versions, iirc, are for team members to update with thru their additions and subtractions to the mod. Very similar to what the SVN was used for long ago.

But, along with abovementioned issues, isn't it weird that the beta branch follows a stable version release, instead of preceding it ?
It does both... i.e. SVN is always BETA, it is currently BETA and it will be BETA after the v43 release as well.
To be honest, it's pretty insignificant stuff, so I don't really care what version number it has at any given time as long as it increases with every change, and never decreases.

Congrats on v43 !

Now, to reiterate, save-breaking changes are NOT "pretty insignificant stuff" : will the next SVN 11552 that breaks saves still be called v43.1.BETA ??

IMHO, to make it clear for those who are not constantly keeping up with the development of the mod
(and also to make it easier in the future to check when the previous save-breaking changes were implemented),
SVN 11552 (if it's indeed the one that breaks saves) should be called v44(.0 or .1).BETA.

Last edited:
Congrats on v43 !

Now, to reiterate, save-breaking changes are NOT "pretty insignificant stuff" : will the next SVN 11552 that breaks saves still be called v43.1.BETA ??

IMHO, to make it clear for those who are not constantly keeping up with the development of the mod
(and also to make it easier in the future to check when the previous save-breaking changes were implemented),
SVN 11552 (if it's indeed the one that breaks saves) should be called v44(.0 or .1).BETA.
I think 43.2 would suffice, if "save-breaking" is due to some minor features getting rebranded via code, as opposed to introducing some big in-game changes.
Not all updates are also upgrades, lol.

P.S.: In general, a major release is going to attract people, that's why it's IMHO important to have the breaking save changes for the beta version to be released in parallel, because now I'm in the awkward position of having to recommend to those people that might care about running the beta version to WAIT until the save breaking SVN is available (which just happened with Nookrium a few hours ago).
And (checks SVN thread), that would have been a wait of more than a month, at which point a lot of people might just forget about it.
(Or worse : be annoyed at being stuck in a game with a potentially unstable/unbalanced beta version they have invested a ~month into they can't get updates to. Next time they will just stick with stable, and you're going to lose beta testers.)

Top Bottom