Vassals sabotaging my empire?

My last game I played as Hammurabi and while going for domination, I ended up eventually capitulating Mansa, Cyrus, Hattie, and Frederick. Mansa and Cyrus were still furious with me throughout the rest of the game, Fred and Hattie were annoyed. After capitualting them my empire was still constantly having improvements sabotaged every turn, when my only opponent left was shaka, who had killed the other civ and was quite powerful. I figured even with all my vassals furious and annoyed with me I could still safely spend all my EP on Shaka to stop him from spying on me, but I think it was my vassals all along who were still sabotaging me AFTER capitulating. Has anyone else experienced this? Or know if the AI vassals are programmed to still spy on you after capitulating?

To discover which evil civ is plaguing you, keep a very close watch on the EPs that they have allocated against you; normally, these figures rise every turn, and a sudden big rise shows antagonism or, at certain stages, the construction of SecBus and IntAgs. On the other hand, a sudden drop means that EPs have been used against you: in other words, that was the villain.
It's not only Shaka that does this. I always, but always, have the same problem with Pericles, who I meet with distressing frequency. That is, unless I can wipe him out early.

never knew I could track enemy Ep...
Anyway, talk about sabotage, my vassal countries ALWAYS defy my resolutions...
makes me sick...
I left them 1 city with 3-4 population, and that generousity keeps costing me resolutions... Shouldn`t they comply with me?

Maybe next time it's better to finish them off, even if just for the absurd your-city-wants-to-join-your-vassal-nag :p

Can anyone think of any advantages to keeping such a small vassal?

never knew I could track enemy Ep...

Just mouse over the leader's names in the score panel - do not click. This brings a popup showing (among other things) a line "Ratio with <your name> X/Y"; X is their EPs against you, Y is yours against them. Or if you have the BUG mod, mouse around in the Glance page under Foreign Adviser to see just how everybody stands in relation to everybody else, EP ratios included.

Maybe next time it's better to finish them off, even if just for the absurd your-city-wants-to-join-your-vassal-nag :p

The main advantage is time, to get him out of way faster so you can move on to your next opponent. Expecially if the vassal is relegated to a few offshore islands.

At least, that's why I take them.

I think that having a vassal nation grants you a small boost in hapiness, and it adds some maintenance costs for your empire... That is why I accept, but they can be annoying, and I hate those asking to join an empire... if you said no once, that should be enough, period.
I once clicked just at the moment that question popped up and lost a city to my vassals :cry:.

PS thanks a lot Bushface

I think that having a vassal nation grants you a small boost in hapiness, and it adds some maintenance costs for your empire... That is why I accept, but they can be annoying, and I hate those asking to join an empire... if you said no once, that should be enough, period.
I once clicked just at the moment that question popped up and lost a city to my vassals :cry:.

PS thanks a lot Bushface

Yeah, those pop-ups can quickly become unbearable. Go into options and click "disable pop-ups" or something. It'll kill off all those messages.

Thanks for the tip on the EP , its pretty easy to figure out who is sabotaging me now.

On a side note the reason I always have so many vassals is they are good for maintaining and upgrading large armies due to the AI's bonus. When going for domination or conquest I always have lots of obsolete units and not enough gold to upgrade, so I gift them all to my vassals and tell them where to attack.

Top Bottom