Vault Gates

WarKirby

Arty person
Playing as the Khadi. The Civilopedia entry for the Vault gate is missing :cry:

That's a pretty important one. I have no idea what kind of things I can get from the gates, or what I need to build to make them come. Can someone tell me about them? Or even just paste the pedia entry?

as far as i know you can get this goblin guys with meta magic affinity, somekind of willow-the-wisp thing which can teleport and has random spellspheres and djinns.
in my games i didn't get any djinns so they may have some other requirements than vault gates but i got the other practically right from the start.
the kahdi unique library raises the spawnchance if im not wrong.

Djinni require a particular choice of path for Kahd, I believe. The others work like the Sheaim ones in that they depend on buildings in the city - Library adds one, Mage Guild too.

Looking at the python (CvEventManager - look for "Kahdi Gates") it seems - no guarantees - that:

If you're Spiritual you get creatures more often, and they're "Strong.".
If you're Ambitious you can get Psions

The more Kahdi Gates, Libraries, Meditation Halls, Great Libraries and Mage's Guilds you have, the more creatures you can get.

You get Gnoslings.
If you've got a Mage's Guild you can get Thades.
If you've got a Meditation Hall you can get Djinns.
(Mana will help attract Djinns.)

(I guess Meditation Halls give Djinns because they're spiritual, and Djinn is a spirit?)

Only 3 different types of creature? hmm

The Sheiam gates have a lot more variety...

I guess I should start stocking up on metamagic mana to make those gnoslings actually worthwhile. Right now they're mediocre defenders and scouts, because strength 3 is too low to do much against rangers and axemen, which are what my enemies currently have.

Also, Khad doesn't have the spiritual trait. Is there some way to get it? What's the point in giving them a bonus based on that?

Also, Khad doesn't have the spiritual trait. Is there some way to get it? What's the point in giving them a bonus based on that?

Yes, one of their world spells gives the spiritual sprait. It needs strength of will.

The last time I played as the Khadi was in FF43, but I don't think any of this has changed:
You have two options for your worldspell, one of them follows Mammon and gives you access to the Monument to Avarice, makes Psions spawn from Vault Gates, and makes Khad start with Mind 1-3. The other follows Oghama and gives you the Spiritual trait instead of Ambitious, makes Khad start with random spell spheres, and greatly increases the Vault Gate spawn rate (300% is a number I think I remember hearing). Khad also starts with a promotion that, if I understand it right, makes him never stop gaining hero XP.
Only 3 different types of creature? hmm

The Sheiam gates have a lot more variety...
Remember that Thades get random spell promotions too, and they're disciple units so the Spiritual path boosts them even further. But you're right - Vault Gates appear to be intended to give you support units, rather than a full army like Planar Gates do.

Thades get random spells, yes. But only lv1 spells.

Some level 1 spells are fairly useful, many are not, and only one (summon skeleton) is capable of an actual combat acpplication. Most of the good magic is in lv2 (not lv3, ironically) and unless I'm missing something, thades can't learn channeling II.

This kind of seems like a problem. They give support units, not a full army. But the Khad have the same weakness as the Sheiam. They can't BUILD a full army. Not allowed to make champions, and many other high tier units.

If the gate isn't going to provide adequate replacement troops, and I can't build a capable army, what am I left with? spamming cannon fodder at the enemy?

Mages are very powerful on support, but they are just that, support. A mage with stoneskin might be able to stand up to an axeman, and maybe even a champion, but that's about it. Most summons can't be used to defend because of their short lifespan, either.

I'm seeing a flaw, here. Khadi seem like they're significantly lacking in late game military potential. Unless you spam metamagic nodes like hell. Gnoslings start with a mere 2 strength, and have 1 metamagic affinity. That's at least 2 MM mana required to stand up to a weaponless axeman. 4 for a weaponless champion. And once weapons come into play...

Where am I supposed to get 8 metamagic mana to make them capable of fighting champions? Such an arcane oriented race can't afford to focus so much on one mana type, when you need many to provide options for your adepts.

The other follows Oghama and gives you the Spiritual trait instead of Ambitious,

Gah, I missed this. That's even worse.

Ambitious allows him to get second tier arcane units quickly, which I'd definitely need. I thought the spiritual trait was given in addition to the others

I don't know about Khadi, never noticed him up to now :blush:, but I do have an objection about the value of summons for defence. As Amurites I find it very easy to defend with summons. You cast them and you have a small army defending you for one turn. Next turn, you cast them again. If you have enough mages, you can use half the summons to weaken the enemy stacks, and half to hold your lines for the expected reaction. A few fireballs and/or maelstorms also help greatly defensively.
Hek, mages with Combat promotions are the most useful units in attack and defence, being able to kill an enemy weakened by their summons.
So, as a frequent magic user, I suggest you keep creating mages. Death summons help greatly in defence(since they have fear), unless facing undead armies. Archmages with water III are also valuable in defence, since water elementals split on destruction(1 time in FFH, haven't summoned one yet in FF) thus making them capable of absorving 3 enemy attacks before complete destruction, instead of one.

To avoid micromanagement you group your mages according to the type of summon(s) you wish to cast and you have them all casting the same summon with one click.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Also, I have noticed the dimensional sphere introduces interesting hit and run tactics with "Escape" and "Teleport".

When I last checked, redeemed was capped at 100 xp.

Top Bottom