Very basic mod problem

Bringa

King
Hey guys,

I want to tweak resource frequency in Beyond the Sword a little to adjust them to my liking. Now I know the approach I'm pursuing here (make a mod with a changed CIV4BonusInfos.xml) may not be the best way; I probably want to mess with a mapscript. The thing is, I also have rather stringent requirements as far as mapscripts go; basically I need to be running a mirrored map (since I'm trying to set up for fair-as-possible 1v1 multiplayer). I have a beautiful mapscript for that (LD's mirror inland sea, further modified by Shizanu), but that mapscript is running vanilla resource placement for the most part. I don't really want to write up a whole new resource placement subroutine if I can just tweak a few iTilesPer or iPlayer values.

Now here's the problem I run into:

* I made a whole fresh new mod folder, copying the .ini from one of the existing mods and adjusting it for my needs. It's very small and I don't think there should be a problem with it, but just in case, here it is:
Spoiler :

[CONFIG]

; This mod is only for single player games
SinglePlayerOnly = 0

; Set to 1 to disallow use of WorldBuilder scenarios
IgnoreWorldBuilderScenarios = 0

; Allow public maps to be used with this mod
AllowPublicMaps = 1

; Mod Image file
ImageFile = 0

; Name of Mod
Name = ResourceRebalance

; Description of Mod
Description = Generic Mod

* In that new directory, I created the proper subdirectory structure: Assets\XML\Terrain

* Then I copied the CIV4BonusInfos.xml from BtS into the Terrain folder.

Starting like that gives me an XML error:
Spoiler :

Failed Loading XML file xml\Terrain/CIV4BonusInfos.xml [...] Element content is invalid according to the DTD/Schema.
Expecting: {x-schema:CIV4TerrainSchema.xml}iAiObjective.

Line: 25, 13
Source: <iHealth>0</iHealth>

Just to restate this: this is a 100% unchanged CIV4BonusInfos.xml from my Beyond The Sword Assets\XML\Terrain dir.

So I think, okay, maybe I need the whole folder. So I copy the entire Terrain folder over. This now triggers an error in an XML file in the Buildings folder. So I copy that over. Now I get an error in the Gameinfo folder. And finally when I copy that over, I get a CtD during mod loading.

In case this matters, I'm using the steam version of Civilization IV. The source directory from which I'm taking these XML files is:

C:\Program Files\steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Assets\XML

So I'm a little stumped here. How hard can it be to run a minimal mod that only changes one of the original XML files? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

You must have somehow taken the XML from the wrong civilization folder, because the error says, that there is something missing from the file, and this is a tag which was added by BtS.
Please check again, if you not maybe did take files from vanilla civ or warlords.

yup, expecting AIObjective and instead it got iHealth

* Then I copied the CIV4BonusInfos.xml from BtS into the Terrain folder.

No you didn't. BtS doesn't have it's own BonusInfo file, it uses the one from Warlords. There were no changes made to bonuses so Firaxis didn't include that file in BtS.

It is possible that this is a steam related problem! I am 100% certain I took the bonusinfos from my Beyond the Sword dir, but I suspect steam has a weird way about organizing those dirs. I do remember there being a Beyond the Sword directory INSIDE my Beyond the Sword directory. Am at work now, but will check again tonight. Thanks everyone!

I am 100% certain I took the bonusinfos from my Beyond the Sword dir, but I suspect steam has a weird way about organizing those dirs.

Well that could be then. I know however that the original release has no BonusInfo for BtS. I had to track it down when I wanted to make changes to it for my game.

Cool! So you just used the one from Warlords and that worked for you?

Cool! So you just used the one from Warlords and that worked for you?

Yes. No changes were made to bonuses when BtS was released so there was no need to add that file. As long as it's in the proper Custom Assets folder, the game doesn't care where it came from.

Top Bottom