Very difficult Alexander start IMM/Fractal

King Pluto

Emperor
I'd be interested to see how you guys handle this Alexander start. I win a little more than half of my IMM games, but tough starts often overwhelm me. This start is a real peach. See the screeny and save below, I put some game details in the spoiler. Give it a try and post results if you dare!

The start:
Spoiler :

For game/opponent details:
Spoiler :
You start with Shaka to the west and Hammurabi to the east. Both settled their first cities in my face. Sury has a TON of land to expand into almost unopposed in the east.

For resource info:
Spoiler :
The good news is we have horses. The bad news is Shaka and Hammy both have Copper near by.

Attachments

• Impossible Alex BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    38.9 KB · Views: 38
I'd like to hear other opinions on where to settle.

I think i would try to grab the gold with a 2nd city rather than the capitol. I don't really like the idea of having 4 desert tiles, and a plains incense in the cap's BFC in addition to working the food poor gold tile. Another food source down near the gold would be nice for a 2nd city.

There's also a decent chance that the plains tile 2W has a strategic resource since everything else is forested. I don't remember the details of how balanced resources work, but isn't it likely that there's more than 3 resources in the BFC? Settling 1NE on the ivory would lose that tile.

SIP? Settle 1NW on the plains hill for the extra hammer and to possibly leave more room for a gold city?

I settled 1SE. Gives the capital the gold, 2x5 food tiles, and 2x riverside grassland. Not worried about the wasted desert tiles, the game should be more-or-less won by the time I want to be working more than 5 tiles in the cap with whipping.

It's arguable, but i think i would SIP, because of no wasted turn and the fresh water bonus.
Although it would be nice to settle on the PH and grab another food ressource and some hills, but that's a huge gamble for 1 turn lost and no fresh water anymore.
The gold city could share the wheat, if there is no other food ressource down there making it a better 2nd city spot.

This is actually looking to be a very tough map!
Personally would SIP to save the turn as city two can grab the gold. :)

Remember that 3rd ring resources are accessible from turn50 due to capital culture.
Depending on the other spots to settle, Gold might be best fitted for city3.

SIP looks strong. 1SE, 1NW, 1NE... not so sure about those moves. I can see the advantages in settling 1SE (saves a settler, lots of time) but long-term... eek!

I am on another play-through now where I survived the early DoW from my neighbor. I got 7 cities squeezed in and it looks like I should be able to win. Not sure how much is due to prior knowledge, but I'm still interested in other reports!

I SIP'd, the capital was fine for me. I figured I could get the Gold with another city, either with its own food or by sharing the Wheat.

I agree with SIP. It shouldn't take long to get the gold up and running with another city since it can borrow the wheat and grow in 5 turns.

Game is won IMO in 550BC:

Spoiler :
I settled 1SE figuring that working the gold ASAP is the smart move. Not the greatest city long-term but I thought a faster start was more important, as gold+elephants already has me thinking construction beeline. Turns out I was right to accelerate things short-term. Opening was Ag->AH->wheel->HBR->archery->BW->writing->aesthetics. AH reveals numerous horses.

Second city settled to grab horses/stone (possible mids?) in first ring while being able to share pigs with the capital. This city will also have gold to work whenever it gets a border pop. This is the first city because it can get horses, immediately work the pastured pigs, has lots of forests, instant production, can work riverside cottages with the capital as well.

Third city settled to grab corn+horses to the south-east, with marble in its second ring. This city has the ideal capacity to put some hammers into HAs, whip, regrow fast, whip again (should be able to produce 3 HAs in 10 turns like this without going over the happy cap or working unimproved tiles). Behold the glorious 3 city empire:

This actually is about as good as a setup for HA rush will get IMO.

I have seen nothing but archers from Shaka so far, he has settled copper north of me but it should not be connected to the rest of his empire. By about 1200BC I have a growing stack of HAs waiting on my border with him. Then an impi appears. No longer viable considering he must have 2 sources of copper and the impis extra movement means they'll just slaughter my HAs.

I change targets, it'll have to be Hammurabi. His city closest to me has improved iron as indicated by a 5h plains mine. This means I can cut his access the first turn of the war and, if that was his only metal, easily remove him from the game. The turn I'm ready to declare, he even moves all his archers out of the city to accompany a settler, leaving a lone swordsman. I waste no time:

1000BC attack date, pretty decent considering I settled 2 more cities, all of which got barracks and two of which also have stables.

His capital falls next:

Food poor, but the plains cow and farmed grassland will allow it to work both golds. With 4 gold tiles at my disposal, the recovery should be painless. It's a quick romp through his territory. I think that the plains iron 1w of the first city I took was his only metal, I faced just a handful of swords and axes, not a single spear.

First GG born the same turn I capture Hammy's third city, an excellent production site. As you can see I have IW. Justinian got to alpha first and offered me IW and what was left of writing (2 turns) for HBR. I accepted in a hurry. You can't trade HBR for alpha while alpha is a monopoly tech unless you have over half of it self-teched anyway. The trade offer means Justinian is researching HBR himself anyway, as he tends to do. It gets writing in faster at a time when the tech rate is in a bit of trouble, and it reveals already improved iron in my first captured city.

Somewhere in here I also razed a fourth Babylonian city as soon as it was settled. Only a single archer, zero fortification bonus obviously, junk location, didn't want to leave it and have to possible lose an HA or two later on just to raze it.

At this point Hammy has 1 city which I can capture at my leisure. With writing in I open borders with everyone and immediately start sizing up this situation at the Khmer border:

Copper I can pillage on the first turn? Me at 1.4x his power rating? Small stack already conveniently in place to the south? Say no more, I'm going for it at 750BC:

In the end I face only one spear and a few swords/axes, I believe that copper was also his only source of metal.

So there you have it. At 550BC I've nearly finished off a second target, both of whom had one source of metal that I could deny on the first turn of each respective war. Shaka shares some border with me but there was no early DoW (or even plotting) from him, and we now share a religion (as well as zealot Justinian, who is score leader). Shaka is second to me in cities.

I have enough city capture gold and income (working both gold tiles in Babylon) to get me aesthetics in 4 more turns. I have marble and stone, and Justinian and Stalin are both plotting war (and it won't be against me). The strategy is obvious: trade aesthetics for alpha asap, get Shaka to pleased and/or bribe him on someone. Probably use a (late) first GScientist to bulb math as there is no particularly strong bureau capital spot, and tech rate will be low for a while. Build 'mids either for failgold or rep scientists. Build GLib, numerous other marble wonders for failgold. Go straight for construction. Kill Shaka. Win map.

In fact if I do it right this might be my fastest victory yet.

edit: sorry if the thumbnails are spoiler-y. I'm too lazy to upload the images to another host.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0173.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0173.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Civ4ScreenShot0174.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0174.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 302
  • Civ4ScreenShot0175.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0175.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 307
  • Civ4ScreenShot0179.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0179.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 308
  • Civ4ScreenShot0178.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0178.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 300
  • Civ4ScreenShot0177.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0177.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 302
  • Civ4ScreenShot0181.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0181.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 291
  • Civ4ScreenShot0183.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0183.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 291
  • Civ4ScreenShot0184.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0184.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 295
  • Civ4ScreenShot0185.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0185.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 315
Did the same thing as you ben-jammin :)
Spoiler :

I sip'ed, found a good production site to the north and a city to work the gold in the south. From that, beelined HBR but instead killed Shaka off. He only had one source of copper which I destroyed on the first turn of war. He slaughtered a couple of my HA's with his Impi's though but I just took his cap and copper city. He has one city left before I go for Hammurabi :)

It's a start I don't like for the only reason that you have to rush settlers real fast.
Shaka always expand like crazy and will dow you, no matter what.

What is it, Pangaea?

Top Bottom