Victory Status and F11 Disagree

Catt

Emperor
C3C version 1.22.

The population rankings shown on the demographics screen (F11) and the Victory Status screen either don't draw from the same data set or otherwise don't update appropriately. Below is a screenshot from the same turn showing that F11 identifies the player's population ranking as second in the world while the victory status screen identifies the player's top rival as having a smaller percentage of the world's population (i.e., player has the most population).

Steps to reproduce: load the game and check F11 and the VSS.

Observed result: different status as to percentage of the world's population.

Expected result: no inconsistency between population rankings from two different informational views.

Also attached is a saved game for verification.

I've noticed things like this in my games as well, but put not very much attention to it, since there are other, more serious bugs.
Anyway, while I am reading I develop the idea that it might be based on the time, when you check the F8 screen. As far as I understand the information of the F11 screen should be updated as soon as your portion of a given turn starts (internally).
This seems not to be the same point of time at which you are able to do your first commands /whatever.

To be honest, this seems to be a sign of bad quality and is annoying, but other things would be more important to be fixed (may I mention the sub bug / invisible units bug?). I fear, if they would concentrate on this, we would learn about some nasty side effects in the future :-\

IIRC, the source of the inconsistency is that the two values are calculated using different inputs. The f11 screen calculates population in number of people ( 34 million for example) and land mass in squares within your cultural borders.

OTOH, the VSS screen uses the sum of the size in citizens of your cities, which should most likely explain the situation. Also note that for territory, only actual land squares are counted in the VSS.

This can sometimes lead to situation where you lead in both categories in the f11 screen but are in second where it matters, the VSS.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by Commander Bello
Anyway, while I am reading I develop the idea that it might be based on the time, when you check the F8 screen.

It continues for several turns (I eventually stopped checking it). I suspect lbhhh has it right that the calculations are drawn from different data sets (but not sure why they'd go to the trouble to code different calcs).

To be honest, this seems to be a sign of bad quality and is annoying, but other things would be more important to be fixed (may I mention the sub bug / invisible units bug?). I fear, if they would concentrate on this, we would learn about some nasty side effects in the future :-\

Oh, I agree that it is a very minor bug and pales in comparison to many others. I'm just reporting it so that it's a known issue.

Originally posted by lbhhh
OTOH, the VSS screen uses the sum of the size in citizens of your cities, which should most likely explain the situation. Also note that for territory, only actual land squares are counted in the VSS.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty confident that the VSS screen also counts coastal tiles within one's cultural boundaries as a percentage of tile ownership -- this is how domination limits were always calculated and the Dom victory still comes at 66% in the VSS.

Originally posted by Catt
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty confident that the VSS screen also counts coastal tiles within one's cultural boundaries as a percentage of tile ownership -- this is how domination limits were always calculated and the Dom victory still comes at 66% in the VSS.

You're right. The VSS counts coast but not sea. The F11 screen does count sea, hence the difference. Bamspeedy's article in the War academy clears up this point.
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3acad_demographics.shtml

I think we finally got it figured out.

Top Bottom