[VIDEO] A New Intro Movie for Civ V

coffee junkie

Tech Hippie
NEW CIV V INTRO MOVIE

Hello everyone !

First, this is not a mod but a very simple modification everybody can use if wished ;)

I re-create a new intro movie for Civilization V, shorter, multilanguage ( because with music only )

Almost all images @ Firaxis of course ;)

to use it ...

- on Mac :

ctrl-clic on Civilization V ( the Application ) > Show package content
Content > Home > Civ5_Opening_Movie_en_US.mov

( or Civ5_Opening_Movie_fr_FR.mov or Civ5_Opening_Movie_de_DE.mov ... or whatever name you have depending your language )

Rename the original movie you use and keep it at the same place ( it is not advised to suppress any original file of the game ! ) Example : Civ5_Opening_Movie_fr_FRENCH.mov

Rename now the new movie intro provided ( Example : Civ5_Opening_Movie_fr_FR.mov ) and close everything ...

Launch your Civilization V and that's it ! You get a new intro movie :)

If you get a message as "you don't have permissions ... etc ..." don't panic : just change the permissions of your game !

ctrl-clic on Civilization V ( the Application ) > Show package content
Content > Home

select Home, cmd-i, scroll down and change all permissions to read and write, including all elements inside ... Don't worry, it doesn't affect your game ;)

- on PC :

EDIT ...

Added the movie in .wmv2 format ( 81 MB - uncompressed ) but if someone prefer another format to eventually convert in a better way on PC ( like .wmv3 that I suppose to be better than simpler .wmv2 ) just ask :D

same bat link, same bat place ;)

- Preview :

There on YouTube : New Civ V Intro Movie

- Download :

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17466

- One file in .mov format is uncompressed
- One file in .mov format is .rar compressed
- One file in .wmv format is uncompressed

- About :

The movie is the same size than the original from Firaxis : 1280 × 720 and it has been encoded in H.264, Linear PCM and 720 HD

The duration is : 1'50"

:coffee:

My critiques with this are the same as I had with the original Civ V intro.

1) The images, in my opinion, should be in chronological order, starting from ancient times to the later eras.

2) Try mixing the text with images that come after it. Having a bunch of text just one after another defeats the purpose.

Great music, though.

It seems to be the excellent music of Game of Thrones.

The MOD I am working on. ;)

You are working on such a mod ? Indeed ? Great ! :) Contact me by PM, we could maybe collaborate ;)

My critiques with this are the same as I had with the original Civ V intro.

1) The images, in my opinion, should be in chronological order, starting from ancient times to the later eras.

2) Try mixing the text with images that come after it. Having a bunch of text just one after another defeats the purpose.

Great music, though.

I don't see the problem with chronology but mixing more text and images is an idea already at work ;)

Excellent ! A Game of Thrones mod :D

And there's already an intro for it ;)

@Putmalk : well, I do see what is your point with the chronology but as it is narrated, it is logical, and it is also logical in a civilization point. You travel first, build stuff to honor your gods than a civilization, later go to war and finally look at the future. Moreover, the images themselves would be strange the other way ... the Vikings are not on vacation ... clearly going on a new land and thus, having the pyramids after make sense in a build way. Imagine it the other way around, would be a bit strange :
water -> earth. earth -> water :/
Travel -> Construction. Construction -> Travel :/
Hence the last image on a building camp in the original intro.

I say chronology to preserve the theme of empire building.

Fellows, thanks for your reviews :) but can somebody tells me what is the type format of the intro video on Civ V for PC please ??

Fellows, thanks for your reviews :) but can somebody tells me what is the type format of the intro video on Civ V for PC please ??

Windows Media Video 9 (WMV3)

Ouch ! WMV3 5 :crazyeye:

I can convert many formats, including WMV2 but WMV3 :confused:

Anyhow, going to upload the movie in .wmv2 format and if someone prefer another format to eventually convert in a better way on PC ( like .wmv3 that I suppose to be better than simpler .wmv2 ) just ask ;)

Please indulge me : with only Civilization V on Mac, any little thing become a bit harder to share with as many users as possible ! ;)

EDIT : .wmv movie added :)

Interesting idea, but I skip the opening video as quickly as possible when firing the game up regardless...

I don't think chronology is the main issue here, it's an absurd notion that every one of these historical titles has to have the same little video from the stone age to the nano age, it's a big cliche and it has to die (and we should all do terrible things to it's grave while are at it). Let's form a phrase with videos showcasing this!

this
cliche
has
to
die
so
badly...

Although they do try to showcase different battles, time periods and use different narrative devices. I really like the approach of the Empire Earth movies, they know it's a cliché and try to do something fun with it in both videos.

A few observations though:
-The music despite being very good doesn't seem to flow well with the onscreen action, particularly as all the animations were made with the idea that they were going to be accompanied with a narration. No sound effects also makes it feel odd.

-The text you are using probably shoulnd't be all at the same time. Also you should follow the visual codes laid out by the Civilization logo, as you cannot introduce a new code that tries to compete with the logo (the logo or title of a product is and always should be the king).

-Remove all layer effects to the text. Try using just one effect at a time and with extreme restraint (or use no effects at all if posible). Again, observe the logo well, it can achieve a big impact without using much bling.

-As if you are writting an essay: "brevity is the soul of wit". For example Honor will do just as well to describe war instead of adding Blood, Iron, Glory and Courage, either of these will do, but all at once can be redundant.

-And finnally, compare both videos, ask yourself what did you brought in that is new or an improvement over the existing material, and what can be improved. Research other material, what do they do really well?, what mistakes do they make, etc. Try chopping up the original movie more and experiment with the pieces. For example Age Of Mythology and it's expansion pack The Titans: both used the same material, but they both have different videos.

original video
epansion pack video

Examine both, notice how the Expansion pack video is basically the original video, just better cut. Note the sound effects in the cuts, the rythm of the cuts and how it builds up to the battle much better than the original video.

It's awesome that you are doing this, I hope any of this helped.

Top Bottom