[video]Poor guy......all he wanted was a pizza....

Azadre

One more turn...
Moderator Action: Link removed

The video shows Mark Jones, who is more than 6 feet tall and weighs almost 300 pounds, repeatedly striking Joseph Scarpino in the face and body as customers watched.

Jones was found guilty of felonious assault last week and was sentenced to four years in prison.

Scarpino suffered a broken eye socket and nose, a concussion and a chipped tooth in the beating.

The incident began when Jones' girlfriend cut in line in front of Scarpino.

Scarpino was on his cell phone and told his fiance it might take a little longer to get their pizza.

Jones' girlfriend got mad at the comment and created such a commotion that the manager tried to kick her out.

That's when Jones stepped in and hit Scarpino at least seven times.

Jones' girlfriend, Prestia Sims, is scheduled to go on trial next month for her alleged role in the incident.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This wasn't too far from me. Akron, OH is where it took place.

I’ve seen this video. The 300 pound man also seems to yell out a lot of racist obscenities but what’s worse is that nobody around helps the victim and they just allow the gorilla beat him without mercy. At least the worthless a$$hole was sent to jail for a long time.

Also I heard the victim was suing for 25,000 dollars worth of related medical expenses. I hope he wins.

Yeah I know but I would be to scared to help him and most of the people ther probably would have been too.

i saw it on ebaum

i felt bad for the little guy

only 1 way way to win over a guy that big, surprise!

smile, put your hands up like "i dont want no trouble"

then a fast and hard kick to the groin and run (whatever you do, dont look at your target area first to judge distance etc, it will give you away)

or a kick to the groin and after the victim bends over holding his nuts, a hard knee to the face and then run

Posted on Sat, Feb. 26, 2005

Woman says she's served her jail time

Accused pizza shop agitator says trial shouldn't follow plea bargain

By Phil Trexler

Beacon Journal staff writer

The Akron woman who prosecutors say triggered an ugly videotaped beating at a downtown pizza shop says she is sorry but doesn't deserve any more jail time.

Prestina Sims, 31, met with reporters Friday, a week after a judge released the videotape that helped to convict her boyfriend of felonious assault and propel local debate on social conduct.

In the tape, Sims is seen entering DaVinci's Pizza on South Main Street last July. She soon confronts a customer who complained she was cutting to the front of the line. Sims spat on a store manager who tried to throw her out and then pointed to the customer and ordered her boyfriend, Mark Jones of Akron, to ``take care of this white mother (expletive).''

Jones, who is 6-foot-4 and weighs 320 pounds, pummeled the customer, Joseph Scarpino, 28, drilling him with seven unanswered blows to the head as a lobby full of customers looked on in shock.

Scarpino, 6-foot-2 and 220 pounds, suffered a broken nose, a chipped tooth and a concussion. Jones, 35, was sentenced to four years in prison after his conviction last week in Summit County Common Pleas Court.

Sims, a mother of five, told reporters she is sorry about the incident and wishes the case would go away. She denied making the racist remark about Scarpino, although her words are clearly captured on the videotape.

She also said she felt the matter was put behind her last August when she agreed to a plea bargain with Akron city prosecutors. Sims agreed to serve six months in jail after pleading guilty to misdemeanor assault, disorderly conduct and criminal trespassing.

In October, however, county prosecutors brought a felonious assault indictment against her. She is scheduled for trial March 14 and faces two to eight years in prison, if convicted.

Prosecutors are expected to argue that in essence, Sims used Jones as a deadly weapon in order to cause serious physical harm to Scarpino.

``I would like to apologize... to Joseph. I didn't expect that to happen,'' she said. ``Every day I think about this incident. It hurts me and I know it affected (Scarpino).''

Scarpino could not be reached for comment.

Sims' attorney, Walter Madison of Akron, would not allow her to comment on what is seen in the videotaped beating.

Madison filed a motion Thursday asking Judge Brenda Burnham Unruh to dismiss Sims' case, citing the previous plea and claiming the new charges violate double jeopardy protections.

A similar motion filed by Sims' former attorney was denied Feb. 2, when Unruh agreed with prosecutors and ruled the plea deal with city attorneys does not prevent county prosecutors from bringing felony charges.

Madison said if the county officials were acting in good faith, they would have commuted Sims' sentence when the indictment was first brought, months before she finished serving six months in jail.

``What we have here is a person who had accepted responsibility now finding herself facing punishment a second time,'' Madison said. ``What I'm doing now, I'm asking the court to dismiss it because of constitutional issues that the state has acted in bad faith. We believe a case brought with an evil eye should not see its day in court. Ultimately, a deal is a deal.''

The tape has been played repeatedly on local and national TV, but Sims said she has not watched it. She said she can't change public opinion that blames her for the attack.

``I'm living this day by day. I do wish it would go away. I wish I could have my life back,'' she said. ``It's a scary feeling that my freedom is still in jeopardy.''

Phil Trexler can be reached at 330-996-3717 or ptrexler@thebeaconjournal.com

Posted on Sun, Feb. 20, 2005

Violent attack truly senseless

You're waiting for the justification.

You watch this videotape of the guy getting the snot beaten out of him in a pizza shop, and you're looking for some sign that maybe he deserved it, or at least did something -- anything -- that would suggest the beating made sense.

Strangely, you realize, you want there to be a reason the 6-foot-4, 320-pound man walked into the pizza shop at his girlfriend's behest and started wailing on a stranger.

That's a very strange thing, you realize -- to want a reason for this brutal act.

But the alternative is worse -- no reason at all.

And that's what it seems to come down to.

Last week, Mark Jones of Akron was found guilty of felonious assault and sentenced to four years in prison for pounding on Joseph Scarpino.

You know that meaningless cliche about ``senseless violence?'' This one sort of gives it meaning.

Look at the video. Scarpino was standing in line at DaVinci's Pizza in downtown Akron last July 31. It was 2:30 a.m. It was crowded. He was waiting for his order.

A woman, Prestina Sims, entered the shop and walked past the line to the counter.

Everyone understandsthat when there's a line, you take your turn. We don't like when this social contract gets broken.

Scarpino, who was on his cell phone with his fiancee, made some comment about this. Sims didn't like that, and unloaded verbally on Scarpino.

Despite her taunting, Scarpino held his tongue. A manager asked her to leave. She did -- and promptly returned with Jones.

She spit on the manager, then began screaming in Scarpino's face.

Most often in cases like this, there are two versions of the story and the truth lies somewhere in between. Not this time. Security camera footage eliminates that middle ground. It is not pretty.

Jones went straight for the face. His first punch appears to have nearly knocked out Scarpino. For the rest of the beating, Jones delivered half a dozen uppercuts to a doubled-over victim.

He broke Scarpino's nose, gave him a concussion, chipped a tooth and dropped him in a heap, where Jones tossed him around like a rag doll while looking for a dropped cell phone.

Scarpino's no small guy -- 6-foot-2, 220 pounds -- but Jones outweighed him by 100 pounds. Scarpino never got a punch in.

Maybe you'd feel better if there was justification. Sims' lawyer tried to create some. She said Scarpino, who is white, made a racial remark about Sims, who is black. But no witnesses -- and there were several -- confirmed this.

Jones tried, too. He said he believed Scarpino was going to hit the young lady. Yet Scarpino withstood Sims' verbal tirade without doing anything to escalate the confrontation.

Sims, in fact, made the first physical contact, repeatedly flicking Scarpino on the cheek before instructing Jones to ``take care of this white mother (expletive).''

So you're still waiting for the justification.

Because as ugly as all this is, there would be some degree of comfort in being able to say Scarpino deserved this.

But no matter how many times you replay the tape, it's just not there.

You've known the rules since you were old enough to understand. You get in line; you wait your turn. You get on the highway; you follow the rules. You sit in a movie theater; you keep quiet.

That's the social contract. You hardly notice when it's being followed, and you don't like when someone breaks it.

The beating of Joseph Scarpino is disturbing specifically because of the way it taunts that understanding. He got in line that night and followed the rules. Someone else broke them. And he got pummeled for it.

In civilized society, there are rules. One brutal violation proves their importance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The video can be viewed at: Moderator Action: Link removed . Warning: It contains extreme violence and profanity. David Giffels' column appears Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. He can be reached at 330-996-3572 or at dgiffels@thebeaconjournal.com.

I can understand why people might be afraid to try to hold back the attacker, butother wise they just stood there gawking after the big guy left.

This is why everyone should own a can of mace or some kind of pepper spray. It incapaciates the victim, even the big ones.

I don't blame people for not stepping in. The only thing I could think to do is smash fat Albert over the head with a chair, but then I'd go to prison.

Seriously, pepper spray is a very good idea for anyone (if you are a man and carry mace, don't worry you aren't necessarily gay). Seriously though, people are animals, and their is no reason that someone should be able to do this because of mere size. That is why weapons were invented, because the skinny but civilized "weakling" can have an advantage.

Hopefully that classy lady will get some prison time as well for spitting in the clerk's mouth. Those two are a match made in prison.

Mescalhead said:
This is why everyone should own a can of mace or some kind of pepper spray. It incapaciates the victim, even the big ones.

I don't blame people for not stepping in. The only thing I could think to do is smash fat Albert over the head with a chair, but then I'd go to prison.

Seriously, pepper spray is a very good idea for anyone (if you are a man and carry mace, don't worry you aren't necessarily gay). Seriously though, people are animals, and their is no reason that someone should be able to do this because of mere size. That is why weapons were invented, because the skinny but civilized "weakling" can have an advantage.

Hopefully that classy lady will get some prison time as well for spitting in the clerk's mouth. Those two are a match made in prison.

The problem wasn't that no one had any sort of weapon or black belt, the problem was that in a "lobby full of customers" no one wanted to step up to the plate. Would I have? Don't know. I'd like to think I would have. (And for the record, I'm 5'8" and a bit overweight at 200+ lbs.)

Had someone had mace, I think they would have used it. If not, well that is really quite pathetic, but I didn't see any Ahnolds in the joint. And as I said, is it worth picking up the nearest heavy object to use as a weapon (which would be necessary for any normal sized person to stand a chance) considering the fact that using it gets you a few years for assault? Everyone would like to think they would help, but that kind of stuff happens quick, catches you off gaurd, and turns on your fight or flight mode. And because the lower survival part of the brain is kicking in, self preservation is of #1 importance whether you like it or not. Of course if it were a loved one, then it could probably be overridden. Otherwise, you'd need to be pretty calm and diciplined to take decisive action in a quick situation like that one. Remember, we watch the video with a crowd, but seeing primal violence like that makes most feel alone and helpless. That is what comes from being civilized.

races are equal, but not same;

#of black people capable doing this >> # other color people capable of doing this

I don't know if I'd say "capable", sounds a bit too deterministic. But it is true that black on white violent crime is far greater than the reverse.

Mescalhead said:
Had someone had mace, I think they would have used it. If not, well that is really quite pathetic, but I didn't see any Ahnolds in the joint. And as I said, is it worth picking up the nearest heavy object to use as a weapon (which would be necessary for any normal sized person to stand a chance) considering the fact that using it gets you a few years for assault? Everyone would like to think they would help, but that kind of stuff happens quick, catches you off gaurd, and turns on your fight or flight mode. And because the lower survival part of the brain is kicking in, self preservation is of #1 importance whether you like it or not. Of course if it were a loved one, then it could probably be overridden. Otherwise, you'd need to be pretty calm and diciplined to take decisive action in a quick situation like that one. Remember, we watch the video with a crowd, but seeing primal violence like that makes most feel alone and helpless. That is what comes from being civilized.

I think that whacking the guy with a chair or broomstick or bottle or whatever would not get you an assault charge in that circumstance, you'd be clearly assisting in the defence of someone else against an assault.

I'd like to think I would have cracked that fat ass lardball right in the crotch if I saw him doing that. But I may have wussed out...

IglooDude said:
I think that whacking the guy with a chair or broomstick or bottle or whatever would not get you an assault charge in that circumstance, you'd be clearly assisting in the defence of someone else against an assault.
The ways lawsuits go you might not be arrested but they could probably sue you.

IglooDude said:

I wouldn't take the chance. Some scummy lawyer could turn it into a hate crime somehow. Or could base a lawsuit on using deadly force or some such nonsense. I am not saying it is definite, but I have heard some horror stories about people defending themselves and getting sentenced. I am wary of the legal system in this country, they take the "innocent until proven guilty" philosophy out on strange and illogical tangents. Especially when political hot-points like race are involved.

Mescalhead said:
I wouldn't take the chance. Some scummy lawyer could turn it into a hate crime somehow. Or could base a lawsuit on using deadly force or some such nonsense. I am not saying it is definite, but I have heard some horror stories about people defending themselves and getting sentenced. I am wary of the legal system in this country, they take the "innocent until proven guilty" philosophy out on strange and illogical tangents. Especially when political hot-points like race are involved.
Speaking of hate crime, I think they should prosucute this couple under the hate crime laws.

Top Bottom