ViSa General Discussion

Great new mod! Definitely puts the focus on specialization a lot more than before.

One question (at this point): What are the 'bases?' I'm talking Army Base and Navy Base (and I think Air Force Base). The description says that they are a boon to the local economy, yet they are +15% maintenance -- meaning that they increase the cost of running the city? And it says that they are required to train units, but do I assume that a Drill Sergeant is required to actually do that?

Finally, it adds to the healing rate of units, yes? And you can only build so many -- what is it, 1 per 3 barracks? So I'm wondering if they should be built in the outlying cities that are more likely to be attacked and/or a haven of retreat for combat forces. Or maybe in the inner cities to train units in safety and as a 'last resort' place to hole up in case of disaster. Hmm...

Thanks for any clarification!

-- WC

I enjoyed Visa2 and especially liked that when I ticked 'raging barbarians,' I'd get lots of barbarian warriors and archers attacking early on and--even better--barbarian cities forming in the mid game. I just tried Visa3, though, and got only animals for barbarians. No human units and no cities. :( Is there any way to get my barbarians back?

Thanks,

loseth

P.S. I was playing with raging barbarians, huge map, warlord difficulty and 25 civs, but only one city per civ (settlers disabled).

I enjoyed Visa2 and especially liked that when I ticked 'raging barbarians,' I'd get lots of barbarian warriors and archers attacking early on and--even better--barbarian cities forming in the mid game. I just tried Visa3, though, and got only animals for barbarians. No human units and no cities. :( Is there any way to get my barbarians back?

Thanks,

loseth

P.S. I was playing with raging barbarians, huge map, warlord difficulty and 25 civs, but only one city per civ (settlers disabled).

I'm playing ViSa 3.1, normal barbarians, and I have been attacked by lots of units; in fact, I just conquered a level 16 barbarian city, and I note from the messages that barbarian cities are building Great Statesmen. All I can think of is that you have so many civs and units running around that their aren't enough empty spaces to breed them, or, you simply are too early in the game. They should be there!

Alondin, Master of the Obvious

Barbs are definitely there. In my current game, they have erased at least 4(!) emperor civs - crazy suckers.

As the two previous posters have stated, Barbs are certainly in the game.....but a lower difficutly level will reduce them.....

And Animals come first, then Barb units.

Great new mod! Definitely puts the focus on specialization a lot more than before.

One question (at this point): What are the 'bases?' I'm talking Army Base and Navy Base (and I think Air Force Base). The description says that they are a boon to the local economy, yet they are +15% maintenance -- meaning that they increase the cost of running the city? And it says that they are required to train units, but do I assume that a Drill Sergeant is required to actually do that?

Finally, it adds to the healing rate of units, yes? And you can only build so many -- what is it, 1 per 3 barracks? So I'm wondering if they should be built in the outlying cities that are more likely to be attacked and/or a haven of retreat for combat forces. Or maybe in the inner cities to train units in safety and as a 'last resort' place to hole up in case of disaster. Hmm...

Thanks for any clarification!

-- WC

I can't say that the modcomp from TheLopez was merged or setup 100% as stated in the original thread, but the info is in there on it.

Thanks for the answers guys. It's quite late in the game now and I've found some unexplored islands that still have no barbs, so perhaps it's the difficulty level.

P.S. When I was playing Visa2, I especially liked playing with a 'New World/Old World' map, where all the civs would be on one continent, and then you'd have to find the new continent (which would be full of highly conquerable barb cities). Can anybody tell me which map this is and if it comes with Visa3?

EDIT: It's Terra, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. Too many civs again, I suppose.

I've found out recently that libraries produce 1 culture point.

Is it a change for visa_3.1 or is it a bug ?

Can it be changed back by editing an XML file ?

Thanks

Simkodavid,
Libraries producing only 1 culture point was intentional
for game balance (I opposed it but they usually laugh at me! ;) ).

I would expect you can edit the XML file, buildings should have it.
Haven't looked though.

Alondin, Master of Breaking Things (aka playtester)

I can't say that the modcomp from TheLopez was merged or setup 100% as stated in the original thread, but the info is in there on it.

From the version information:
- Removed commerce bonus from base since it confuses the AI. Reported by
Lanthanide

So looks like it got removed from the original modcomp but the description never got changed.

Thanks Alondin

Now that I know why, would someone be kind enough to tell me how ?

How to modify the culture points received from a library ?

Thanks

A number of buildings and techs need further reduction....I got quite a few but the game gets very out of balance going into the Genetic Era :(

I really don't encourage anybody that doesn't already know how to mod to play with the ViSa files....and we don't support anybody changing the files for themselves (others using ViSa or part of ViSa in other mods get some support though).

But here it is, just change the 1 to a 2 or whatever number you want
Code:
			<ObsoleteSafeCommerceChanges>
				<iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
				<iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
				<iCommerce>1</iCommerce>
			</ObsoleteSafeCommerceChanges>

Not sure if this is Visa or the new Warlords patch or just my install, but two map scripts are behaving funny for me:

Terra -- Regardless of the number of civilisations I choose, it seems to always place some civs in the New World.

Inland Sea -- Just tried this one, but the sea wasn't inland; rather, it was divided into two halves, each on one side of the map.

Anyone else having similar problems?

I actually had the same problem with a game I was playing. It placed 3 civs on one continent and the remaining 7 on the other continent, though I played on a large terra map. But it is something that is new to this version of Visa as far as I know, since with the previous one I have never seen it.

I know it's not VISA related, I have a qestion regarding the inability of razing the last city of an AI.

Was it introduces with Warlords or Warlords 2.08 ?
Is there a workaround ? (you can guess I don't like it)

Last but not least, thanks TAfirehawk for your help regarding culture points, it's working fine now.

Thanks

I have been trying to combine alot of these mods for awhile...not happening. Thanks so much for making such an awesome package!

I DO have a question though. Sometimes I'm forced to take a city, when I really want to raze it. Why is that? Is there any way to stop it, or to destroy a city?

I tried adding in a "destroy city" mod, but it made things glitch.

Thanks!

I have been trying to combine alot of these mods for awhile...not happening. Thanks so much for making such an awesome package!

I DO have a question though. Sometimes I'm forced to take a city, when I really want to raze it. Why is that? Is there any way to stop it, or to destroy a city?

I tried adding in a "destroy city" mod, but it made things glitch.

Thanks!

The last city of a Civ can't be razed.....talk to Firaxis :)

Odd.... when I play online with my friend, we always razed entire civs if they're being jerks. That was Warlords 2.08 with EDU.

I wonder why we could do it before?

EDIT: Or do you have to take at least one of their cities?

Odd.... when I play online with my friend, we always razed entire civs if they're being jerks. That was Warlords 2.08 with EDU.

I wonder why we could do it before?

EDIT: Or do you have to take at least one of their cities?

Good question....I always thought it was a Firaxis thing, but maybe not.

I'll test it a few times, and get back to you in here later - if it is Visa, any idea of how I could incorperate a City destroy mod? I wouldn't mind one anyways.

Oh! And while I remember - why did you guys remove Improvements Outside Borders, just out of curiosity?

Top Bottom