VP locations at sea

robcheng

Sleep-deprived Addict
Dammit, why didn't I think of this early on during the C3C beta? I was just going through some mod possibilities for conquests and it occurred to me a great way to model naval trade routes that could be fought over would be to set up victory point locations at sea (I believe that the axis and allies' pacific theatre boardgame uses a similar concept). Whoever maintains control over those trade routes/naval VP locations could accumulate enough points to force nations to maintain significant navies in order to protect and/or capture these VP locations at sea, or at least consider this and balance the needs to acquire naval VP locations against funnelling all of one's resources into land warfare to capture land VP locations.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? Unfortunately, I don't think this would be moddable...I think you would have to stick the VP locations on little islands which is kind of an ugly hack. I guess you could do something like immobile naval princess/treasure units, but those would only be one-shot deals. Anyone have any other ideas about how to model naval trade routes?

Rob

The only idea I have had is through the use of the 'treasure' units described in the 'Age of Discovery' Scenario! It might be worth asking the Breakaway/Firaxis whether a VP location can occur in the open sea and/or ocean-cause your approach would probably be best!!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Using the PTW editor, I can put them in the water. Whether they work correctly and the AI knows what to do with them is a different issue.

Originally posted by Aussie_Lurker
The only idea I have had is through the use of the 'treasure' units described in the 'Age of Discovery' Scenario! It might be worth asking the Breakaway/Firaxis whether a VP location can occur in the open sea and/or ocean-cause your approach would probably be best!!

Hm. Wonder if you could use that to make a Battle of the Atlantic scenario and have the "treasure" units represent war materiel being shipped from the US to England...

Originally posted by warpstorm
Using the PTW editor, I can put them in the water. Whether they work correctly and the AI knows what to do with them is a different issue.

Yup and some of my best battles have included these victory locations(on custom maps).

Originally posted by Hunter

Yup and some of my best battles have included these victory locations(on custom maps).

I stopped using VLs almost immediately after PTW came out as I only play vs. the AI and the AI seemed to by and large ignore the VLs -- Your comments make me think this has been a major miss on my part ... ?

BTW -- and addressing the first post -- I generally put VLs in otherwise out-of-the-way-places like the Straits Of Malacca (Singapore) and the entrance to the Arab/Persian Gulf to represent SLC (Sea Lane Control).

Thanks,

Oz

I tried this (in PtW) and the AI does indeed ignore the VP locations at sea (but not on land) even when I give them tons of 'naval power' ships next to the VP locations. Quite a shame, since this would be a great addition to some of the naval mods. I guess you could still use this for MP games.

Top Bottom