VS express 2010 setup?

Fnugus

Chieftain
Very simple question: How do I properly set up the project in VS2010express? I thought I had it, and it would compile, but gave no output file. No dll. No exe.

I created a folder named Stuff/CvGameCoreDll where I stashed all the clean files.

I followed this tutorial most of the way, but the step where it says to rename Release to Final_Release altered the settings available so that the NMAKE wasn't there. Leaving that as it was, I could compile in Debug configuration, but not final_release. Then I found some project files for VS2010 in this thread (at the bottom) and used them to overwrite the existing project folder. It would compile now, but still not give any dll or exe output.

So, I am in the lines of:
New -> Project -> General -> Makefile project.
Name: CvGameCoreDLL
Uncheck "Create directory for solution"

This puts me through to the Makefile Project Wizard.
I click next, and get a large set of empty fields, with one exception: the "Output (for debugging)"-field which has the value "CvGameCoreDLL.exe"
The guide I followed first asked me to empty all the fields. So what do I do from here?

I have exactly the same problem (didn't bother to take other project files, because the more complicated it gets the more probable is that I made a mistake somewhere).
There are also appearing project files in the working folder (my noob common sense says it's good but point from tutorial: "Click -Project- -Add Existing Item…-. The "Add Existing Item – CvGameCoreDLL" window will open. This folder will contain all of the source code files, the Boost-1.32.0 folder, and the Python24 folder. Select everything (use Ctrl-A) and click -Add-. You only want to add: all *.h files, all (2) *.inl files, all *.cpp files and the both subfolders. If you followed the instructions so far (i.e. deleted all unneeded files) CTRL+A will give you exactly this. If you – for whatever reason – kept some of the unneeded files, you need to deselect them manually." denies it).

Okay, so I got a little tired of waiting for a solution so I uninstalled VS2010 express and installed the 2008 version instead (luckily MS still has the download for that version for some odd reason: http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/)

That worked, I think. It compiled a functional dll for me, and by that I call it successful.

Top Bottom