Wainy's Let's Play Deity - The Generic Conquest Victory

Great video series Wainy. Don't let all the criticism get to you. I think that sometimes people forget that one of the best things about a LP series is that it provides a forum to discuss the pros and cons of different strategies. No one plays a perfectly optimal game, but you get closer by trying different things and then talking about them.

This is exactly my philosophy. I'm unfortunately very tempted to give up on that philosophy and just show successful attempts, because of the tactless criticism I'm receiving from a vocal minority of viewers. What do you all think?

I personally wouldn't change a thing, but I wouldn't assume that only showing the successful attempts is going to quell criticism. Playing Civ at diety isn't easy, especially at a pace that is entertaining to watch. Add to that the fact that you are adding commentary, and obviously you're going to be more likely to play less then optimally. You're better off running the series as you feel comfortable. There's always going to be a Monday morning quarterback to second guess your decisions regardless.

This is exactly my philosophy. I'm unfortunately very tempted to give up on that philosophy and just show successful attempts, because of the tactless criticism I'm receiving from a vocal minority of viewers. What do you all think?

Don't do it. LPs are a great addition to the forum, and having some for any kind of play is very welcome.

If too much crudity is a problem, we'll now take a closer look at the civility in some threads.

Don't do it. LPs are a great addition to the forum, and having some for any kind of play is very welcome.

If too much crudity is a problem, we'll now take a closer look at the civility in some threads.

That would be welcome. Of course, the problem is on Youtube as well, but that's another story :crazyeye:

To hell with anyone who doesn't appreciate the work you put into making these LP's. I'm glad you started showing unsuccessful attempts so others can truly learn from others mistakes. This is the same Deity level we all play and most of the times its not perfect. I do enjoy a good successful game, but I'm glad you started showing both. I really do enjoy watching you LP's in fact I keep checking for new Ottoman uploads :) but I truly do enjoy your LP's Wainy. Don't let ***holes get you down. Sometimes I think people don't realise what goes into these things. You have a lot of people who really enjoy your LP's. Do them how ever you want and I hope you don't stop.

To hell with anyone who doesn't appreciate the work you put into making these LP's. I'm glad you started showing unsuccessful attempts so others can truly learn from others mistakes. This is the same Deity level we all play and most of the times its not perfect. I do enjoy a good successful game, but I'm glad you started showing both. I really do enjoy watching you LP's in fact I keep checking for new Ottoman uploads :) but I truly do enjoy your LP's Wainy. Don't let ***holes get you down. Sometimes I think people don't realise what goes into these things. You have a lot of people who really enjoy your LP's. Do them how ever you want and I hope you don't stop.

This. I 100% agree.

This... +1

:)

Love the videos, I learned a few things and just won my first Immortal game! Thanks. :)

Love the videos, I learned a few things and just won my first Immortal game! Thanks. :)

Glad to help ;). I hope nobody is too intimidated by the "OMG deity" factor. The gulf between emperor and deity (or even prince) is not as large as you think, and I'm not doing anything particularly fancy here (aside from research agreement optimization, which isn't crucial to deity wins).

Glad to help ;). I hope nobody is too intimidated by the "OMG deity" factor. The gulf between emperor and deity (or even prince) is not as large as you think, and I'm not doing anything particularly fancy here (aside from research agreement optimization, which isn't crucial to deity wins).

You're kidding.
So between King and Diety isn't that much?
What would happen if a flawless King player attempted Diety?

The principles and mechanics are exactly the same. Deity depends on proper execution of those principles and not getting bad luck

The principles and mechanics are exactly the same. Deity depends on proper execution of those principles and not getting bad luck

Basically this. A flawless king player would become a flawless deity player, but it's possible to win consistently on King with sub-optimal strategies (whatever that means).

Basically this. A flawless king player would become a flawless deity player, but it's possible to win consistently on King with sub-optimal strategies (whatever that means).

LOL I'm definitely a "sub-optimal" King player who sometimes has to revert to Prince just to retain some self-respect. My games usually start OK but somehow get bogged down in the mid- to end-game. But your videos are great w a i n y. I'm learning a lot from them. Not just the strategies but also stuff like using the ZoC to your advantage and even just from watching your general style of playing, which is much bolder and less uptight than my style.

Easy solution to that.
Let people know on the forums what LPs are finished and which ones aren't.
So the patient ones, like myself, can watch it all and the ones whiners can skip over unfinished ones.

Just ignore the vocal minority. If people can't offer constructive criticism without being civil then they should be banned from posting.

So I have noticed. On King, I really don't have a set tech pattern, all different strategies work. Gathering enough science seems to be my main goal, all the rest generally falls into place. On deity one mistake can cost you the game.

don't you have an outstanding RA with persia? it doesn't seem worth it to attack them when it's going to be done in like six turns? idk am i totally wrong about this??

im total garbage at domination games but it seems like a really bad idea to saddle your second city with so much costly infrastructure and then force it to stagnate, like the extra science you're getting from the library/university doesn't seem worth it to me. hell wouldn't you be better off using it to build a couple of settlers and a worker. i know you had happiness issues but they were p temp from taking cities.

Well, for a start I was surprised at the way you sent your warrior and scout out to explore. I know enough to get a scout out, but I would always pull the start warrior back quite soon and not contemplate doing anything else with him till I had a couple more units to cover the first cities, and this is on Prince/King level. Of course it's a balancing act but I can see straight away that I've been playing over-cautiously and wasting time, gold and/or production by building too many units at the start.

On the other hand, I've never been warrior-rushed the way Japan did to you in the first Ottoman game either, but that's all part of the situational balancing act. You admitted that you made mistakes where the Polynesians were concerned. That "win some, lose some" attitude is also helpful. It's very instructive watching a top player work on perfecting a strategy like that and not being afraid to lose a game in the process.

That's what I meant by a bolder, less uptight style of playing. Screw the detractors, this Ottoman video alone has been worth many games to me. I'm currently adapting the strategy with Denmark to get some early Berserkers. Not only am I having a great time with those bad boys, I'm also also on track for my first King domination victory. But I'd say that the approach to the game is just as important as the actual strategies, probably more so in the long run.

Top Bottom