Walls when Rexing?

Civologist

Chieftain
When REXing do you find it useful to build walls in your outlying cities early on? I'm running into some issues with double wars because multiple leaders are upset with my aggressive city placements. I usually dont have swords yet and there are only so many archers you can have defending a city before LOS is a issue.

i rarely build them but may buy one in a pinch if caught off guard. they are effective...the problem is opportunity cost that early. IMO it's better to head for early construction...CBs will clean up early rushes and you need coliseums anyway.

(swords are not needed for defensive armies...CBs and cities are your damage dealers, use warriors/spears/pikes for meat shields)

I am a REXer by nature. It seems as though the current AI (G&K) punishes you pretty harshly from a diplomatic standpoint if you settle more than the "average" number of AI cities. In some games, I have noticed the diplo hit for "we think you are overexpanding" has a very quick trigger, sometimes as soon as dropping the fourth city. My guess (and I am not a code-delver) is that it is somehow tied to the median number of cities per empire, and when you get over that by a significant margin, everyone (even Friends) starts to denounce you. So I now believe (at least until diplo is changed in a patch) that REXing should be considered a warmonger strategy. The days of going peacefully wide-then-tall are over, at least for now.

This has substantial ramifications for policies, beliefs, and UAs that are granted on a per-city basis and presents a pretty convincing case that Tradition is just as valid a choice as Liberty, even before considering the changes to those policy trees in G&K.

Back on topic, I build walls when I have time, but often like to have 400 gold on hand (standard speed) to rush-buy walls. Walls, especially with Oligarchy and a garrison unit, make a city almost unassailable by the AI unless they are 2 tech generations ahead of you. Also, puppet cities often build walls on their own. To me this makes Professional Army a doubly worthwhile policy for anyone waging offensive war -- bonus happiness for walls plus cheaper unit upgrades.

As far as defensive units are concerned, beyond ranged units it is useful to have a meat shield or two to clog up the defensive terrain and deny the AI access. Mounted units are also handy to exploit an enemy's rear or flank, but this is very map-dependent. When executed well, a horseman counterattack is simply awesome, and then you are in prime position to pillage your attacker's cities, steal his workers, and bring up your ranged/siege units to start attacking him in earnest.

During Rexing? No, i do not....
I prefer use terrain and unit placement in way that none of city-hitters ever be able to hit the city - by taking key defended possitions around cities so enemy will have less tiles to stand in order to hit city. Also i use Oligarchy even in REX games (yes, i rex with tradition+honor+stationed units+1 happy 2 culture per city with stationed unit) and station ranged units at borders.

Walls are pretty costly to build for something that is not allways usefull. However if a wall mean that you do not need to build as many units it can be worth it even if it is only for lowering the units cost.

There is a limit to how many safe tiles you can get for composite bowman behind your city. I think walls in the one city you know will bear the brunt of attack is a very good idea. They do bring alot of troops on diety hehe :)

I prefer walls of units over walls of stone. I don't usually build walls when going tall, so I certainly won't build them when going wide.

If you REX enough, then yes. Honor also has the happiness bonus for each defensive building. So you can get a x3 happiness bonus for each city with that.

yes... agree that if i build them then for 2 rex reasons - but not for actual defence - 1 for honor happy bonus - i take it as 12th sp pick and not during rex and then for Nauch wonder

Top Bottom