War early economy later strategy

norman1994civ5

Chieftain
I am still working on my strategy. What do you guys think about this strategy where I build two cites and build them up for the first fifty turns. Then I start to build up My army. AT turn 100 I Start to attack the closest civilization to me and once I defeat them I take out the second civ. Now i am on about turn 200 and have about seven cities. I then start to focus all on my science and culture. Here is a video in my lets play to kind of show you where I am on this strategy. Do you think this strategy works? check it out and tell me below. thanks.

Link to video.

Of course it works. Land shape, civ, difficulty level and ressources around will determine at which speed you need to start the whole thing . Sometimes you can build 3-4 cities around the turn 50 and get 3-4 extra cities before the turn 80. Is it good? It depends of your recovery capacities.

Anticipate what you will need for the next 20-30 turns each time you decide a big action. There is some situations where a kind of victory, civ, land and difficulty show that it's better to stay tall with 3-4 cities and focus on economy and defense instead.

In this type of "warmonger" strategy I like to have 3 proper cities and then go to war... Pretty easy actually, no need to actually even build a settler ... buy one and get one from Liberty policy You could easily take out several enemy Civs capitals by around t100.
At this point if you have three of your own cities plus a few conquered puppeted capitals then your economy is probably in good shape, even if you do have a sizeable military

Your fourth city (better to buy a settler in an annexed city close to your next target civ probably) could be settled close to an enemy civ and on a resource you perhaps don't have such as iron or perhaps on a luxury resource so you could do upgrades for composite bowmen, warriors. Perhaps at this point you only have 3-4 civs left to conquer. Have a few catapults around as well

Top Bottom