War is Inevitable: AoI 4.0 Japan

==1906 and the Russo-Japanese War==
Spoiler :

Central America declares war on the United States despite the latter’s conquest of Hermosillo.

Week 5, the Turks demand tribute despite Japan’s ascension to a great power on par with Germany, France and Russia (as seen in the power bar charts). They are naturally shut down.

The United States goes to war with Cuba and Hispaniola.

Week 9, the United States seizes Mexican Guadalajara. Now that they’ve broken the main lines of defense in the north of Mexico, they’re free to take practically the whole country.

Week 13, Britain goes to war with Persia; with Britain fighting the resurgent Chinese at the same time, India’s fate will be interesting to watch.

Week 17, Argentina goes to war with Uruguay.

As the world is currently quiet as we prepare for war, have a World Map. We also send a regular shipment of 1000 gold to Mexico to help it resist American incursion.

Week 21, Austria-Hungary goes to war with France, while the Americans finish off the Hispaniolas.

All troops are in position. Week 25, the Russians are tricked into declaring war on Japan, thus allowing Japan to depict itself as the victim of a Russian conspiracy to dominate the Pacific.

Almost immediately, Russia sees that it has walked into a trap: it loses 5 Battleships and several smaller vessels around the world.

Meanwhile, ships proceed to shell Vladivostok; the Port of Vladivostok wonder, which generates a Civil Engineer every 13 turns, is a casualty of this as it provides defense against naval bombardment. As Japan already has more than enough workers for its needs, however, it’s not a huge loss.

Despite its importance to Russia’s military and economy, Vladivostok is in shambles when the American military finishes with it, though its population remains surprisingly intact. The Trench Garrison outside the city fares no better, and they are picked off without a fight via the use of Japan’s secret weapon – Chlorine Gas.

At the loss of one Cavalry unit, Vladivostok is taken. Russia is severely weakened by the taking of the city, but Port Arthur and Mukden are a must before peace can even be considered, so as to buy valuable buffer space between Japan and the rest of Russia.

With 4072 gpt (research has been turned down in light of the Polar Exploration) before negotiations for allies begin, we leave with 3061 gpt. The alliance? Every single nation on Earth. Russia is completely diplomatically isolated. Japanese war planners also use the Russo-Japanese War as proof Japan has the resources necessary to unite the world against a common foe, something it will exploit come the Amero-Japanese War. In the meantime, the Russo-Japanese War simply becomes known as the “Great Russian War” around the world and the “Great Patriotic War” in Russia itself.

Week 29, Russia sinks a transport that was out of port. As it wasn’t carrying anything, however, it pales in comparison to the loss of Vladivostok and much of their fleet. No Cossacks are visible, however, leaving Japan to conclude the Russians just simply do not have that much manpower left after so many wars.

Week 33, we not only charter a successful expedition to Antarctica despite our war, but turn Siam into the heart of the international rubber trade. The former gives two free techs, while the latter increases happiness, production and culture.

We also notice the fall of Baja California to the Americans, putting a major obstacle to “Operation: Falling Stars,” or the planned invasion of the United States. It is instead decided that British Vancouver will be taken to use as a forward base for an invasion of the West Coast.

The fall of Khabarovsk eliminates the Russian threat in the northeast, and is the beginning of a long, drawn out campaign to wipe out the Russian East Coast. Meanwhile, raids on Port Arthur eliminate some of its defenses at the cost of one Cavalry.

==1906 Part II==

Spoiler :
Week 37, France and Russia sign a peace treaty. No matter; France is brought back in at a cost of a mere 72 gpt.

The Fall of Port Arthur puts Japan one step closer to its goal of a secure frontier with Russia.

Next, the Horse Artillery Batteries prove to be kind of crap, but they do manage to nonetheless reduce the defenses of Mukden to an acceptable level. It is revealed the city’s defenses are primarily made of Home Guards, rather than anything significant.

As forces whittle down Mukden’s defenses, a spy in St. Petersburg relays to us Russia’s forces. What sticks out is that they have 7 Cossacks, 86 Infantry, 60 Maxims, and 43 Home Guards. They also have 36 City Guards, but those are so spread out they are of no consequence. It becomes apparent that Russia is lightly defended, with its artillery sparse and most of its fleet gone; it only possesses 1 Battleship, 2 Torpedo boats and 2 Cruisers.

Mukden is taken with no losses, and while it is vulnerable to a one-turn strike by Cossacks, the fact Russia has so few puts Japan at ease. War planners consider taking Chita Oblast, which will require an extensive overland campaign (but would put hills and forests between Japan and the rest of Russia), but the focus for now is on the Russian Pacific.

Week 41, the last Russian battleship is sunk off the Japanese islands by the air force.

Sakhalin is taken in Week 45. While some military strategists suggest limiting northward expansion to the southern half of the island, the government will have none of that, and gives the order for transports to deposit a horde of troops outside Nicolajevsk. Another group proceeds to travel westward along the Trans-Siberian, blocking Russian troop movements while also growing near to Chita Oblast.

Nicolajevsk endures a fierce bombing, one casualty of which is the Russian Naval Academy; that the Russians do not have any Naval Infantry shows their complete lack of competence with said units’ use. It becomes apparent that Japan’s naval vessels are not all in range due to a minor oversight, however, and so to avoid needless deaths, an attack is not ordered.

As 1906 draws to a close, analysts acknowledge Japan as being superior to Russia in wealth, power and influence.

==1907 Part I==

Spoiler :

Week 1, Nicolajevsk is seized, and the Russian Far East continues to unravel as a large army approaches Chita Oblast. It is noted that the Russian Cossack force has more than doubled, to 16 Cossacks. Fortunately, they are so tied up that it is isn’t anticipated they’ll be much of a threat.

Week 5, Chita Oblast falls with some difficulty (but no units lost) due to the fact the Horse Artillery Batteries are subpar. Fortunately the Airships save the day, reducing defenses enough that Japan is able to seize the city, thus putting buffer between it and Russian forces. Just in time as well; 9 of Russia’s 15 Cossacks are near the city,

Week 9, Japanese scientist Umetaro Suzuki develops the world’s first vitamins. His discovery is well-publicised for the glory of Japan. (In real life, says the Civilopedia, Suzuki discovered vitamins but his findings were overlooked, with a Polish scientist discovering the same vitamin two years later and coining the term “vitamine.”)

The Russians begin making a hasty retreat, seeing the writing on the wall and knowing that the Far East is lost once Chita is taken; all nine Cossack divisions are slaughtered at no losses in the “Chita Massacre,” as the Russians come to call it. Out of courtesy, we do send the Russians a telegram that we have no further designs west of Lake Baikal, thus allowing them to focus exclusively on Europe if they so wish. Japan is far from war weary, but the specifics of a campaign to push across Siberia would be a headache, given that the distance between Chita and Khampa is too great for airships to bomb the latter; this would mean reliance on ineffective Horse Artillery. By the time any offensive managed to reach Khampa, the alliances would have expired.

A spy is planted in Washington, who reveals the Americans to have 10 Cavalry and 140 US Infantry. They also have 47 Battleships to Japan’s 77. Japanese war planners are confident that at least a small victory can still be obtained over the United States, and that once the Russian campaign is finished, a quick war with the British will secure Vancouver (and possibly more of Canada) before Japan turns its sights southward for the US West Coast.

Magadan’s fall leaves only Petropavlovsk as a major Russian port on the Pacific Ocean, and troops are already deployed outside it mere days after we take Magadan. Rather than kill the Civil Engineer group outside the city, we decide to let them live; Russia could use whatever laborers it has left, after all.

Petropavlovsk falls with no losses. The Russian Pacific is now an oxymoron. With Russia’s possible threat eliminated on both land and sea, Japan makes no further aggressive overtures, best demonstrated in how the Civil Engineers of the conquered countryside are allowed to flee.

With the Russian War over in practice if not on paper, Transports and vessels begin sailing east towards Vancouver. The British arrogance will be exploited so as to trick them to declare war on us, and from there, we may quickly take the city and build up for the first Nippo-American War.

Week 21, another Anglo-French War breaks out, while La Plata betrays us by signing a peace accord with Russia. More interestingly, Spain declares war on France, as do the Mahdists.

Our update ends with Japanese forces en route to Vancouver. The American battleship present there must sure be glad it’s not on the business end of the massive armada.

Link to video.

==1907 Part II==

Spoiler :
Week 25, Mexico signs a peace treaty with Britain, but not with the United States. Dumbasses.

France declares war on Portugal, thus putting it at war with all of Iberia.

Week 37, Spain declares war on Britain, while Italy and Scandinavia go to war with Spain.

It’s a really quiet edition due to Britain not playing into our hands, so let’s have a Tour d’Japan!

Chita Oblast has been revealed to be an incredibly-productive city, already at 108 shields even without all the mountains around it mined and railroaded, or without full improvements! Vladivostok, by contrast, has 112 shields and Mukden 121. Overall the Russian cities are fairly productive, and Japan’s horde of workers finally have a job that is sure to last them a while.

They will also be tasked with doing Russia’s job in extending railway communications to Kamchatka and Magadan. With shipyards, mines and railways, these two cities should at least be moderately productive.

You can’t see it, but Tokyo has a fleet of ten airships inside it; together with the Satsuma stack outside our borders there, this is the “Home Defense Force,” which has the express purpose of taking out any American fleets that approach while the main fleet stays harbored outside Canada; the Americans are not to be taken lightly, and so we’re preparing for our assault on their country years in advance.

You will also note the high amount of raw materials I have placed around the Japanese coast. Seems wasteful when I could cash them in for VP and money, right? Well, I’m actually slowly gaining a lead on the VP race due to my extra locations, while I have excess raw materials from the conquered territories also being shipped back on a regular basis. Finally, this was done for a reason: at the time, I thought the AI can’t land with the raw materials present, thinking it counted as an amphibious assault.

The Trans-Chinese railway was a gift of Japan to China supposedly. In reality, it allows us to deploy troops/raw materials on one end of the railway (which extends all the way into southern Vietnam) and ship them to the other. This saves us the time we’d otherwise waste transporting them by ship; each area has its own local Steam Transport fleet for this reason.

Far to the south, we’ve set up a partial blockade of Australia. The reason? It is hoped a British navigator will innocently try to go through Japanese territory, thus allowing us to make the “remove your forces or war” demand, which they will naturally reject, thus allowing us to break our alliance and peace treaty early.

And finally, the glorious Japanese East Indies. You’ll notice almost all places are at one turn production; this is almost always due to constant rushing. How do I afford this? Well, there’s a few tricks that come together for this beautiful symphony of Keynesianism. For one, I make sure my science meter is always adjusted so that I keep to the 4 turns per tech schedule, while also maximizing savings; you’d be amazed how much money you save if you scale back your research meter when you’re 1 or 2 turns away from getting a tech. While it’s not worth much now given my sheer size, in the early game a great way to build up your treasury is to sell rights of passage to smaller countries for a lump sum or per turn payment; it can easily be an extra 50 gpt or more per turn.

And finally, perhaps one of the most useful rushing strategies is used – rush the cheapest unit first. You see, the game doesn’t just apply a penalty to every rushed shield, but an extra penalty to the first rushed unit. You can thus rush a cheap unit, then switch over to a much more expensive unit and rush that at a relatively lower cost. Case in point: If I try to rush a 600 shield Maxim Gun, I will pay 4800 gold. If I rush a 10 shield Steam Transport, I will pay 80 gold, and then can rush the Maxim for 2360 gold. In essence even the most expensive buildings and units can be had for 50% cheaper this way around. To top it off, I also take into account the current shield production and the cost of whatever I’m rushing – rather than rush a 200 shield improvement in a 100 shield per turn city, I will rush the cheapest unit (usually the Steam Transport), then a 100 shield unit, and then switch to the 200 shield unit; the 100 shield production will finish the rest by next turn, and thus I pay to rush 100 shields but still get a 200 shield unit. It is an awesome way to save buckets of money and yet get fast results.

So, that’s how I remain so productive, with my intermingling of rushing micromanagement and my careful financial planning. Since most of my cities are coastal, I get the Steam Transport available, which can be rushed before I switch to something else, greatly increasing my savings. In many cases this has proven quite useful – Kagoshima has only been 250 shields per turn usually yet churns out a 300 shield unit because I rush a steam transport, then a 50-shield unit, and switch to the 500 shield unit. It gives me fast results at almost no cost.

Now then, back to the usual course of events!

…which isn’t much, as usual. So uh, time to stall.

Mexico is almost completely gone, though we’ve intensified our payments to about 1200 gold each turn to try and keep them around as long as possible.

Not much else of interest. With our waiting for our alliance with Britain to expire, 1907 ends.

==1907 Part II==

And finally, perhaps one of the most useful rushing strategies is used – rush the cheapest unit first. You see, the game doesn’t just apply a penalty to every rushed shield, but an extra penalty to the first rushed unit. You can thus rush a cheap unit, then switch over to a much more expensive unit and rush that at a relatively lower cost. Case in point: If I try to rush a 600 shield Maxim Gun, I will pay 4800 gold. If I rush a 10 shield Steam Transport, I will pay 80 gold, and then can rush the Maxim for 2360 gold. In essence even the most expensive buildings and units can be had for 50% cheaper this way around. To top it off, I also take into account the current shield production and the cost of whatever I’m rushing – rather than rush a 200 shield improvement in a 100 shield per turn city, I will rush the cheapest unit (usually the Steam Transport), then a 100 shield unit, and then switch to the 200 shield unit; the 100 shield production will finish the rest by next turn, and thus I pay to rush 100 shields but still get a 200 shield unit. It is an awesome way to save buckets of money and yet get fast results.

So, that’s how I remain so productive, with my intermingling of rushing micromanagement and my careful financial planning. Since most of my cities are coastal, I get the Steam Transport available, which can be rushed before I switch to something else, greatly increasing my savings. In many cases this has proven quite useful – Kagoshima has only been 250 shields per turn usually yet churns out a 300 shield unit because I rush a steam transport, then a 50-shield unit, and switch to the 500 shield unit. It gives me fast results at almost no cost.

I must say that I am not a fan of this thing.

Increasingly there's so much to manage I just let a turn pass, let cities accumulate a turn of production, and then rush afterward to spare myself the headache. I still like to use the latter technique of only paying enough shields for it to be finished in one turn, however; no reason to pay 500 shields in a 100 shield city when I can just pay for 400 and let the other 100 be finished naturally.

==1908: The Beginning of the End==

Spoiler :
Week 1, Britain peaces out with Russia. It is hoped they’ll foolishly declare war so that we may exploit our local superiority to destroy them.

Go figure, the deals against the Russians are now concluded. Maybe the Brits are honorable folk, after all. …we still gon’ invade them.

Russia refuses to part with tiny Yakutsk, but we do get them to pay a hefty tribute in exchange for peace. They pay nearly 2% of their economy to us for the next 20 months! Bereaved of its eastern territories, its fleet almost completely destroyed, and with its finances in shambles, Russia is finally relieved of the burden that is Japan’s anger.

We find the British to likewise be bankrupt, to a tune of only having 7 gold in their treasury, whereas America has 8300+ gold in theirs. We deduce the Americans have probably confiscated most of the money we’ve given Mexico, and so withhold aid. We decide to aid the Mexicans in another way – providing another outlet for American soldiers in the north.

Pre-war reports put the Americans at 149 Infantry, 8 Cavalry, 50 Battleships, 20 Volunteer Infantry and 20 Volunteer Cavalry. Britain has 74 Battleships, 29 Canadian Infantry, and 23 Canadian Cavalry, and about one or two dozen Maxims, since it’s hard to tell which Maxim is in which area. If nothing else Canada can still put up more of a fight against the Yankees than Mexico can.

The decision is made to implement the Rogue State Strategy to greater effect, this time against Britain. Partially implemented against the Central Powers and then fully against Russia, it is assumed that Britain’s vast empire will come apart at the seams if faced with a global alliance.

While our peace treaty still has six turns to go, we want to relieve Mexico now, and microbe’s Trading Reputation article reports there is no rep hit for breaking a peace with no payments involved. Even if it does somehow impact our rep, we have so much money at this point and so few things we can trade besides alliances it won’t really matter anymore. We declare war.

Before we attack Vancouver, we go around the world seeking friends, starting with 3954 gpt. Our Russian enemies are now our friends, and are recruited for less than they are paying us in tribute. Most important, we get America on our side, thus ensuring that some pressure will be taken off Mexico and that the Americans will lose some troops as part of the confrontation. Best of all, the entire world is brought against the British, leaving us with 3065 gpt. Whereas financing the creation of a public enemy once put great strains on the Japanese economy, it is now an extremely simple task.

The Japanese long-term plan is simple. For the next twenty months, a Coalition will tear the British apart on every continent. Then, as Britain lies in shambles, we will switch sides and declare war on the Americans, rallying the world against them instead. Once we take Vancouver, we plan on sitting the war out barring picking off shipping here or there, which will allow us to build up our Canadian base so we may attack the United States when it is at its weakest.

The world at the beginning of the War of British Containment.

Our doomstack lands on the shores near Vancouver. Composed of a large offensive force as well as Maxims, it is designed to swiftly conquer the region and then fortify.

Vancouver is taken with no losses. It is debated to attack Calgary simply to secure Vancouver. Fighters and airships are flown in not only to assist in any future attack on the United States, but due to the fact the British RAF has 45 airships of its own to Japan’s 83.

With only 5 units guarding it, airships bombard Calgary so as to soften it up.

Calgary is taken with no losses, and a unit is dispatched to harass Winnipeg so that the Americans cannot block us from taking it a future date.

Winnipeg’s defenses astound us – 2 Maxims, 2 City Guards, 2 Canadian Riflemen, and best of all – 35 Airships! It is clear that if the British lose the city, they will suffer an enormous blow to their power; Airships aren’t cheap, at 300 shields a piece!

The bombing of Winnipeg begins, with Britain having 43 Airships total prior; they are too numerous for us to make a dent.

Week 17, Cuba declares war on America and is wiped off the map in the same turn.

Japanada bodes to be left with only two cities based on the American doomstack approaching Winnipeg.

Which prompts a human wave tactic to take the city before the Yanks do, so as to secure our position in North America. 3 Elite Cavalry are lost, but Winnipeg falls and the British lose 35 airships (total value of 10,500 shields) in one fell swoop, much more than the 1,350 value of the 3 Cavalry. Rather than waste troops trying to take the rest of British Columbia with Dawson, it is decided to sit back and consolidate the gains in Canada.

Week 25, Spain breaks ranks and makes peace with Britain. As Japan has the resources and economy to sustain wars with the British and Americans alike, we bring them right back in; we won’t allow the British to know peace until London itself is in ruins.

While we are tempted to attack the Americans en route to British Columbia, certain our Airships would be ample enough, we do not risk it.

==1908 Part II: Preparations for War==

Spoiler :

Close to 40 US Infantry and 13 US Cavalry are trekking through Japanese Canada. The end of the Right of passage with the United States is paying dividends, as it hurts their ability to rapidly deploy against the British presence there.

Week 33, the Turks declare war on Persia, despite having made gains in India. If nothing else it provides the Turks with the opportunity to unite Islam. The Balkans meanwhile go to war with Italy.

The British Raj is shown to be unravelling, with losses to the Turks, Chinese, and even the Portuguese. While Japan is not contributing troops itself, it is providing artillery support against the various coastal cities, softening them up for the incompetent armies of the other powers.

Week 37, France breaks ranks and makes peace with Britain; they are brought back in.

All sorts of sea traffic is visible between Hokkaido and Canada. The Americans don’t even seem to notice, much to their own undoing; these fleets are carrying Maxims, Cavalry and Howitzers to Vancouver, where they will eventually be numerous enough that Japan will be able to strike.

Week 41, The Mahdists make peace with Britain and are dragged back into the war. We do not tolerate treachery. Now that the Mahdists are no longer useful for our anti-British agenda, we’re also hopeful they get wiped off the map so as to eliminate one more diplomatic liability.

Better yet, Week 41 has the Ottomans take control of much of the Indian coastline. Rather than help the Turks further, we send our fleet southward to shell Ceylon, where we land an expeditionary force scrapped together from what we have left in Southeast Asia. May as well join in on the destruction of the Raj, neh?

Of our 106 airships, most are located in Vancouver. 25 US Infantry and 6 US Cavalry are within striking distance of their 153 Infantry and 16 Cavalry. If Britain strikes now, the blow would be enormous. Unfortunately, the United States reasons that it doesn’t need a war and so doesn’t press the issue. Regardless, it does trap much of the American force within British Columbia, thus preventing them from mustering their full military might against Canada. We will just have to kill them when the alliance expires.

While we are disappointed by a lack of a war with the United States, we do manage to still take Colombo, thus giving us a springpad to launch an invasion of India.

Week 49, Brazil and New Granada go to war, sparking a dual for control of South American politics.

Down in Australia, Perth, once a proud metropolitan area of 9 million (44 pop units) people, is now a mere 10,000.

Pleased with their handiwork, the Japanese High Command orders all naval vessels to move northward along the coast and gradually slaughter the Australian population so as to leave it vulnerable to invasion in later years.

==1909: World War II Part I==

Spoiler :
Week 5, we cut the flow of new units to Canada. What we’ve sent should be more than up to the task of destroying the United States West Coast, especially with the nasty “surprise” we have in store for them.

Week 13, Persia and the Balkans sign peace with Britain. Nullified instantly, of course.

Week 17, we research the “Great War” tech (how appropriate), which grants us much more expensive Infantry, but they are better defenders than Maxims.

Week 21, push finally comes to shove. The Americans having been pushed into “Cautious,” they no longer take our crap and declare war. Little do they know this was exactly what was desired of them.

Link to video.

Shelling begins on the city of Seattle. With the vast hills and forests between it and San Francisco, it will make an ideal border.

With Seattle claimed with the fall of one Cavalry division, attention may be focused on more pressing objectives.

No less than 47 of America’s Infantry are within Japanese Canada’s borders, and the order is given to slaughter as many of them as possible. Cavalry kill 15 of America’s Infantry, all with no losses. In the span of but 48 hours, America goes from comfortably on the road to world domination to grieving tens of thousands of American lives lost, all because of the hubris of their leaders.

The remaining 33 Infantry find themselves a prime target for 37 Howitzers and 23 Mountain Guns. Despite the sheer number of artillery involved, they are not redlined. Fortunately they are still at half health and too slow to make much of an advance in the rugged terrain of Canada.

The Americans are left reeling nonetheless, but the people of the United States, as the sole beacon of liberty and democracy in the world, can surely expect aid from around the globe…?

Nein. The Japanese go from 3247 gpt to 2264 gpt just to bring every nation on Earth barring the Brits against the Americans. It is not known how long the Brits and Americans will keep on fighting now that they might realize they’re both lunch for a Japanese monstrosity, but any agreement between them will amount to little – the entire world is against them. World War II is declared to begin in 1909, the wider Third Anglo-American War and Second British War merging with the Nippo-American conflict. This “WW2” designation is somewhat of a historical license, however, given that the “Axis Powers” of Britain and America are also at war with each other.

Week 21, the Americans do not even bother to attack; they simply shuffle units about through Japanese territory, not daring the face us head on.

Their mistake; a Civil Engineer group completes a road that will allow for a direct strike at Minneapolis, while of the 34 Infantry present in American territory (many of them vulnerable from last turn’s bombings), all but one are killed killed with 1 Cavalry lost. 3 American Gatling Guns are also purged. 3 Corps emerge in the battles against the Americans, as if a future sign from Providence that the end of the American Empire is nigh. The sole surviving division is allowed to retreat towards Dawson so they may relay the story of how tens of thousands of American troops were so easily dispatched, as well as to avoid the logistics of sending armies to British Columbia.

Britain’s grasp on India slackens even further with the fall of Ahmadabad. Karachi is their last port city in the entire subcontinent. With the Ottomans having taken Aden and Muscat, it is only the Perso-Turkish War that is keeping the Ottomans from conquering the whole of northern India.

Back in America, the bombing of a road between Winnipeg and the American territories to the east leaves Minneapolis as the sole direction Americans can come from for a one-turn strike. Once the city is taken, that threat will be nullified and Japan can readily absorb all incoming attacks.

The bombing of San Francisco redlines all 13 of its defenders, with Naval Infantry raiding and killing 6 of them with no losses. A small offensive force immediately begins to approach from the north.

The West Coast is in shambles, with only San Diego having been spared the wrath of the Japanese navy.

All shall be revealed; I'm actually up to 1913 in the actual game. :p

==1909: World War II Part II; Independence Day is Cancelled==

Spoiler :
Week 25, the Boers and Russians break ranks and sign peace with Britain; they are brought back in, as is customary. No peace shall be given until London is a smoking crater.

More importantly, we take San Francisco in the midst of July 4th celebrations at the cost of one Cavalry, which allows rapid access to both Los Angeles and Salt Lake City; the former is of particular importance as a port, and in that taking it will open the gates to San Diego and Phoenix. San Francisco is of great importance due to having the Industry resource, which allows all the various homeland builds. Our cities in Canada are thus infinitely more useful. Finally, it grants a Victory Point location, thus weakening America’s lead in the VP race.

Los Angeles falls only three days later.

And to conclude the Japanese blitzkrieg, as our German allies have come to call it, we take San Diego with no losses. The navy and land forces are too exhausted to push further, but the Mojave cities and Mexico are now within reach; the High Command makes a plan to seize at least Baja California to cut into America’s VP lead, while also to open the way towards liberating the Mexican coastline, which should take pressure off the Mexican government in Cancun. The fall of California is welcome news all around however, as it signifies a huge cut into America’s production centers and more or less guarantees Japan’s naval superiority in the Pacific. As the Colombians refuse to grant America access to their Panama Canal (constructed by the government there at enormous expense as a propaganda move), the United States must send all fleets it has around Tierra del Fuego, which is likely a deadly move due to all the enemies in the area.

The fall of Minneapolis shows that Japan’s victories are not just on land. A great deal of space is put between Japanese and American positions, and just to be extra secure, the railways leading into Minneapolis on the American side of the frontlines are destroyed, thus limiting their ability to strike. This also means that Japan has no reason to focus on the approach to Chicago as the supply lines would need to be rebuilt; the people of Chicago rejoice, naturally.

Reports say that America possesses 97 Infantry, whereas a mere few turns ago they had about 150+. The war has clearly annihilated much of their rank and file, and the once-mighty American military machine is starting to grind to a halt in the face of Japanese aggression.

Week 29, the British raid Ahmadabad with airships, raising the importance of the Indian Front; the opportunity to destroy the British air fleet is something that can’t be understated!

We respond to the raids on Ahmadabad by deploying our first World War I infantry unit against Karachi. The city’s fall more or less seals the fate of British India, as without ports, the colony is practically worthless. The Ottoman doomstack of 35 units heading towards Delhi makes us feel relieved we’re friends. With our local navy no longer of further use, it is sent to Egypt; it is hoped we can assist coalition forces in kicking the British out of Africa.

In the Pacific, an American battleship is sunk in the port of Honolulu.

It is presumed the Americans inflicted a loss on us somewhere, as battles weren’t shown, but if any units were lost, they’re swiftly avenged with the deaths of three US Cavalry.

Since we have 90,000+ gold, we decide to steal America’s plans and check up on their fleets.

…only 2 of the American navy’s battleships are present in the Pacific, and not even within striking distance of us just yet. Most of their ships are off harassing Brazil, the Caribbean, or South Africa. Many of the ships sit idle in Caribbean ports, in particular, thus making it look like we won’t be encountering any naval threats for a while. Once all coastal territories in the Pacific are taken, the fleet will likely split so that part of it may advance towards the American East Coast while the other will go assault Australia.

It is revealed the Americans have built up an extensive anti-air force, but fortunately they are all vulnerable to airship fire while they are grounded; we lose one Airship to destroy two fighters. Forces prepare for an assault to further cement Japanese dominance of the Pacific Rim.

==1909: World War II Part III; the Augustine Triumph==

Spoiler :

The decimation of US forces in northwest Mexico and the states of Arizona and Nevada is swift.

Santa Rosalia is taken by a combination of Cavalry and the Japanese Marine Corps showing their skills by rapidly arriving and picking off the local Col. Sentries so as to not waste more cavalry. Hermosillo is targeted next for the blitz.

Hermosillo’s Home Guards prove hardy, but are unable to kill any units before the city is taken. To secure railway lines into Mexican territory, Phoenix is the next city to be victimized.

With Phoenix, Nevada, Arizona, and parts of New Mexico are placed under Japanese occupation. The Americans can strike in one turn from Denver, but an adequate Maxim defense will render that a non-issue.

Mexico is shown to have only 4 Infantry units guarding its last city of Cancun; it looks like Japan arrived just in time, based on how few of the American troops are attacking the area.

The incredibly productive (110 shields) Salt Lake City is taken with surplus troops. The Rockies function as a natural boundary between Japanese forces in the area and Americans in Denver.

Just as the Americans feel it’s safe to come out, however, Thunder Bay is also overrun. A casualty of the Second Anglo-American War, the city has finally left American hands, but not how its British population had thought it would. There is a bizarre camaraderie between the British and American citizens of the city, all rising up against Japanese occupation. Despite the unruly locals, the city’s taking is invaluable, as it nullifies war with the rest of Canada. Rather than push into Ontario and Quebec, the Empire decides to leave the region as its natural frontier.

We see the effects of not disabling barbarians in the form of the ungodly amount of raw materials America has in the north. Ah well. Though speaking of raw materials, the absolute humiliation of the Americans results in the “Homeland Defense Wall” being decommissioned, with all the raw materials that compose it being exchanged for a sum of 64 VP and 800 gold. Similar defense walls are ordered to be deconstructed and the raw materials shipped back to Japan. We have 123 raw materials, most of them in secure areas (i.e. not India) and so it should be simple enough to ship them back home.

Week 29 has been incredibly fruitful, with the securing of our possessions and the seizure of no less than five cities. But Japan and its people must brace themselves for a more difficult task in the future…

==1909: World War II Part IV==

Spoiler :
Week 33, Argentina breaks ranks. Standard procedure. In a surprising show of competence, Germany takes Brussels from Spain.

We cash in so many raw materials we leap ahead of Britain and France in victory points, and have 1348 points to America’s 1379.

Quick supposed peace talks show the United States to only have 82 gold stockpiled, showing the sheer destruction this war has wrought on their economy.

An attempted American invasion of southwest Ontario is repulsed with no losses. America, on the other hand, loses 4 of its 6 cavalry divisions; their offensive capability has been almost completely wiped out.

The Baja Front is declared closed with the fall of La Paz. Full effort may now be refocused on pushing into Mexico and the Midwest.

Houston is declared the next target, as its capture would open the gates of the American heartland as well as cut off Mexico from American supply lines. It has 4 Fighters, and so many airmen are expected to be lost, but the city’s value exceeds the possible losses. America’s leaders are showing surprising intelligence with their erection of fighter biplanes, as it allows them to gain something of an edge over us.

4 or so Airships are lost, but they are easily replaced by Korea, Japan, and Russia’s industrial centers. Houston’s seizure is a huge victory, with New Orleans now a tempting target and Dallas being open to attack right off the bat.

Dallas is an easy prize with its small defenses. The High Command reasons it best to eliminate the Mexican front before pushing any further east – the American navy is quite formidable, and it will take everything Japan’s got to even the odds.

The Mexican people welcome the Japanese Marines are liberators, with no resistance in the city of Guadalajara. The Japanese government’s first move is to rush a Deep Water Harbor to save the people from starvation (and to allow Japanese settlers to eat as well).

Naturally, the Americans at Monterrey lost control of their bowels when they heard that a Japanese force had successfully taken the territory to their southwest. With it, the only direct rail line to Mexico City was also cut, leaving many Americans stranded in northern Mexico. With only three units in the city, it is no surprise that Japan soon pressed yet another attack.

The city was taken with no losses by mere Infantry; the defenders were too few and too poorly-equipped to resist even the much less effective charge of foot soldiers. Some of the soldiers were clever and fled the city for the more defensible trenches to the north, where the only two ways to approach it were from the city or from across the Rio Grande. Unfortunately for those in the trenches, they were subjected to airship bombardment (made much easier with the elimination of the Tejano air squadrons), followed by an up close encounter with what the Japanese called “Kurorinu.”

Week 37, word arrives the French have conquered Kampala and part of Tanzania from the Brits. It’s about time some progress was made by our incompetent allies. With regards to Africa, the Japanese flotilla that has made the establishment of Japanese Africa possible also arrives offshore from British Sawakin; it is hoped we can soften British Egypt up so that our allies may finish them.

Week 41, Bangalore is seized by the Chinese, ending the British presence in southern India.

Meanwhile, we take Mexico City, more or less ending the American presence in Mexico, with their sole remaining outpost being Villahermosa to the southeast. The Mexican government eagerly anticipates the restoration of their territory… but no such handover occurs. Instead, the Mexican Empire is declared from various Japanese-occupied territories, with the Emperor of Japan serving as a ceremonial head of state. Given the high corruption of the capital city (with nearly 1/5 of all shields wasted), the Mexican people don’t exactly complain about the new order.

With surprising rapidity, the Japanese forces show up near Denver and, thanks to the fast-moving Mountain Guns, the city is rapidly decimated. Airships had done the deed of bombing the city prior, destroying no less than five fighter planes. The American air force is losing fighters faster than Japan is losing bombers, and with a shrinking amount of production centers, the United States is facing mounting opportunity costs as it must decide between its air force, navy and army. The destruction of 1/3 of the American Civil Engineer Corps outside the city certainly did not help morale.

With Denver’s fall, the American heartland is now the only real place left for Japan to push into. The Rockies have been conquered, and the great cities of St. Louis and New Orleans are up for grabs. As soon as Villahermosa is taken, Japan will begin its final push to conquer the industrial cities of the United States. If the Emperor feels generous, perhaps he’ll allow the Americans to maintain control of their scattered possessions beyond their homeland (barring Ottawa, of course, which has a wonder which will allow us to upgrade units). Denver’s immense productivity and unbroken railway between Texas and California is another perk to the new city.

Week 45, Britain and America make peace. While this would not bode well for the Japanese forces, America has been so thoroughly decimated we doubt it will make much difference except for a few more units for us to kill.

Radio Tokyo makes a special broadcast for Mexican citizens with the fall of Villahermosa, representing the end of the American occupation of Mexico. The Mexican Empire’s existence is all but assured with the fall of the region, while Japanese forces may now focus their full attention on a push to the east. The city also grants Japan a port on the Caribbean, albeit with very low productivity. Once the basic infrastructure is set up, it will be tasked with building an expeditionary fleet to help Japan slowly take back the Caribbean.

Despite the complete chaos engulfing much of the World, Kagoshima still hosts the World Fair.

==World War II Part V==

Spoiler :

Link to video.

America has sent an Infantry and Gatling Gun against us, but Japanese Infantry pick them off with some artillery help. Even despite the closure of the Canadian Front, America lacks the manpower to launch a counteroffensive.

With Mexico liberated and all invasion forces disposed of, the green light is given for the assault on St. Louis.

St. Louis is seized with the loss of one Cavalry. The battle is enormously bloody due to the Japanese attacking from across the river, but regardless, the heart of America falls. 4 of the American airforce’s fighters go with it.

From St. Louis, it is possible to strike almost all of America’s industrial centers. New Orleans is shown to have 8 defenders, whereas Chicago has 11. The decision is thus made to strike at New Orleans. But first, forces will be allowed to recover so as to ensure the next assault is at full strength.

Delhi is taken with the loss of one Cavalry. Forces are ordered to mobilise to try and take Rawalpindi, not only to take the title of conqueror of the British in India for Japan, but also to secure its coal stockpiles for usage by Japanese India.

Week 49, Persia, Uruguay and Mahdiyah make peace with the Americans.

With no units lost, Rawalpindi is acquired, driving the British from India and all of Asia. It is a glorious victory for the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere.

India is carved up into several various spheres of influence, the unified Raj having been torn apart and the various princes now aligned to different overlords, if they aren’t replaced outright by new governors.

New Orleans is filled with Colt Machinegunners, but they are no match for the raw power of the Japanese Infantry Corps. A new Corps is spawned from the battle, and is sent off to San Francisco; it will be filled by a Japanese Infantry WW1 unit in a few turns once the city produces one. The WW1 Infantry unit is as strong as a cavalry unit and a better defender than the Maxim, making it especially useful for both offensive and defensive operations. 2 more American fighter squadrons are destroyed with the fall of New Orleans, their pitiful 25-unit airforce of little use against the 132-unit airship fleet of Japan.

Atlanta is chosen as the next target. It is defended by only 5 units, yet possesses 5 fighter squadrons and America’s entire Chlorine Gas arsenal. It also pushes the American border deep to the west, thus leaving several cities vulnerable.

Atlanta falls and America suffers a humiliating loss of both many pilots and some of its best artillery. The Americans continue to maintain a large number of Volunteer Cavalry and Infantry, but they are mostly abroad in Midway and Alaska (which are well-guarded by Japanese navies to ensure they don’t land anywhere) and thus are of little concern. America has a great future for the Japanese Empire either way, and laborers are given the task of replacing the field set aside for agriculture with mines and raw material extraction. A few million people will surely starve to death but what’s a few million more on top of the Empire’s existing death toll?

We pick off an American Infantry and Cavalry that were molesting Denver and Minneapolis. The American military has all but evaporated, with almost all of its offensive forces dead or stuck in backwater settlements in Alaska and Midway.

Outside the United States proper, troops are deployed near vulnerable Honolulu. But more importantly…

…the invasion of Australia has begun. With the British eliminated from Asia, kicking them out of the Pacific entirely is a noble goal. The people of Darwin do not even bother to resist, given how there’s only 10,000 of them left, and they allow the Japanese Empire to set up shop in the north. The IJN has already extensively shelled the west coast of Australia, with the High Command debating which area to secure first. It’s inevitably decided to take over the East, the heart of their production and also the part linked most by road.

Back in Asia, a large worker group is deployed to Siberia to build a railway into Europe as part of the long-term plan to defeat the British; we plan on taking Amsterdam at some point so as to allow us to shell Britain to pieces with our air fleet.

1909 draws to a close, with World War II having rapidly altered the landscape, particularly in Japan’s favor.

==1910: WW2 Pt VI==

Spoiler :
Week 1, Persia makes peace with the British Empire. It is decided to let Persia freefloat for now; we had actually begun to desire control of Hormuz.

The Americans invade with three Cavalry, all of which are picked off with no losses.

The fall of Honolulu devastates the American psyche even further, showing that America is not safe even in its scattered island possessions. Many American troops remain bottled up in Midway, where they are little of a threat.

The High Command orders that Florida be taken first before a push be made to Washington. A six unit garrison guards Charleston, the city that will open the gates of Florida if taken.

It is an easy task given that Tampa Bay was poorly defended and Charleston had plenty of artillery shelling it. Spare artillery soon sink the fleet outside our territory, likely killing some American troops. Reports show America’s battleship armada to be down to 30 vessels, many of them out of date; as they once had nearly 50, it is evident the war has taken its toll on the American fleet.

The American airforce is also left worse for wear after the bombing of Washington, D.C. from Atlanta; while there are 12 fighter squadrons left, they are too spread out to really do much damage to the Japanese air force.

Week 5, La Plata goes to war with Brazil. The battle of the South American titans has begun! La Plata also declares war on Chile. The Lowlands do the intelligent thing and sign peace with both the Americans and British at once, thus making them an expendable target.

We debate declaring war on the Dutch; we seek to remove them from the East Indies once and for all. Firstly, however, an Infantry group is sent to scout Russia, not only to help with any future invasions, but also to establish that a trans-Siberian route is complete… and for the most part, one is!

We do discover the Danes are kind of screwed, but that’s of no consequence to us. If the Brits take Copenhagen, so be it.

In the meantime, all artillery in the Russian and Korean territories are sent to Europe, where they sink several British ships in the Channel. The Portuguese and Spanish territories also prove to be of great value, as the British ships make a habit of passing by the coastline where they are easy targets for Japanese artillery.

First we allow some units to get into Europe to make it more defensible, but after that, the war with the Dutch shall proceed.

In Australia, the British have launched a fairly large counterattack. With sizable artillery, however, we cut many of the attackers in half and destroy several of their puny troops.

Back in America, the United States has no less than fifteen units guarding its capital city.

We lose a Cavalry, but it’s not enough to keep us from taking America’s capital and winning de facto victory over the United States as a result.

We declare war on the Dutch in Week 9. Amsterdam is guarded by 25 units, but most of them are poorly-trained and thus of little concern. While we fail to redline any of them with our limited artillery in Europe, we do get the entirety of Europe and much of the wider world to declare war on the Dutch. As they only have five cities left, we aim for their complete and utter destruction.

Meanwhile, we take Philadelphia at no losses, cutting the American homeland in half. The only way the northeast stays in touch with the new government in Chicago is through Toronto, but we’ll see to it that the Brits lose that city soon enough. For now the full focus is on New York City; the airships can take care of Detroit and Chicago.

Week 13, Chile and Central America make peace with Britain, while Portugal makes peace with America.

New York City, once the crown jewel of American and international commerce, falls into Japanese hands with no losses. Now that there are three Corps steadily being filled with WWI infantry units, the American resistance is all but finished. All that remains is Boston; if that city falls, the Americans will forever be banished from the high seas.

The conquest of Port Moresby ends the British presence in New Guinea.

While the taking of Palembang ends the Dutch East Indies once and for all. The local Dutch troops are easily picked off.

The Americans lose Boston mere days after we’ve taken New York City. The last of their ports has been taken, eliminating the threat of the American navy once and for all. The British and American forces hide in their “Liberty Belt,” as American propagandists call it, that stretches from Chicago to Detroit and up through Toronto into Canada, but they are merely stalling for time in a war they cannot win.

Meanwhile, an “African Expedition” is chartered by Imperial decree, to be sent to Sawakin…

==1910: WW2 Pt VII==

Spoiler :
Week 17, Germany and Austria make peace with Britain.

Ottawa has a valuable wonder that allows one to upgrade units there, so it is naturally our first target so that our Japanese Infantry can be put to better use. As a slight bonus, it also cuts Montreal off from the rest of American territory, thus keeping them from building Industrial units in the area. At a hefty cost of 5700 gold, we upgrade 12 of our 37 Infantry to WWI Infantry, which makes them enormously more potent (from 9/9/2 to 11/13/2).

Detroit, the epicenter of America’s auto industry, is soon seized at no losses. With the loss of their last source of Iron, America’s steel industry grinds to a halt.

Chicago is taken as well with the loss of a Cavalry group. The whole of continental United States territory is occupied by Japanese forces. The Americans lose their ability to recruit their best units, naturally (they no longer have an Industry resource, which means pretty much all their units go away now).

The taking of Cairns signifies that Japan’s campaign in Australia is far from over. There are no roads leading to Sydney, and so a drastic move must be made: a campaign into the heart of Australia itself, with an assault on the city of Stuart in the middle of the Outback.

France and Scandinavia both peace out with Britain, leaving us more or less without major European backing against the United Kingdom. Rather than accept a chance at peace with Britain, however, we merely draft all our allies back in once more. While we are more than willing to allow the Americans to survive in their poorly cobbled together collection of territories, we simply cannot allow the British to exist in peace while they own the islands of Britain and Ireland.

Montreal is taken with no losses, forcing the Americans from Quebec. The Americans retain the small city of Dawson in British Columbia; a small expedition is dispatched to begin the process of removal.

When well-defended Toronto falls two weeks after Montreal, the British no longer doubt the fate of Canada: a collection of provinces in the Japanese Empire. With Montreal and Toronto both gone, a united front against the rest of British Canada is inevitable.

Quebec is shown to have seven units within it, and a large amount of airships and naval vessels.

The city falls after a lengthy assault with no units lost. Halifax has so few units that the Empire decides to wait another month before attacking.

Week 25, Amsterdam falls! With our allies having served as impromptu meat shields to take out the most menacing defenders, Amsterdam was left a city of only Home Guards; we tore those apart with terrifying ease, naturally. Amsterdam gives us a window on Britain, and allows us to execute our grand plan: an aerial assault on the British homeland to destroy its economy entirely.

As troops land in Egypt and begin pushing their way into the Canadian and Australian interiors…

Halifax falls. Britain has been completely removed from their core North American possession, and they are now limited to a few Caribbean territories. The freed up aircraft from Canada are sent to Amsterdam, where they will soon bomb the British Isles…

==1910: WW2 Pt VIII (Weeks 29, 33, 37)==

Spoiler :
Week 29, the Brits do extensive damage to Amsterdam with their air fleet based out of Middlesborough. Our first response, however, is to destroy all British sources of Timber and Iron in the main isles, thus preventing them from building high-end ships or fighters.

After that, we begin the bombing of Middlesborough to remove their air fleet while it’s grounded.

We also sink three British battleships off Portugal. They are using their most glorious vessels for mundane escort duty…

The most ambitious Japanese campaign yet begins with the taking of Cairo by a small expeditionary force. With Cairo taken, it becomes easy to make use of Ottoman railways in Arabia to send troops rapidly from India to Africa. Control of the Suez Canal is of utmost importance to Japan’s interests. With sufficient hardware, it will be possible for Japan to take the whole of Egypt before considering other gains. Elsewhere in Africa at the same time, British airships are destroyed in the bombing of Mombasa by IJN ships.

A railway line is finally completed that links Kamchatka with Moscow. The Trans-Siberian is officially complete, but unfortunately for the Russians, it’s not their achievement.

Week 33, the Ottomans, Balkans and Uruguay declare peace with the British. Silly rabbit, peace is for squares!

Alexandria is taken with no losses, leaving the British with only Wadi Hafa in Egypt. Meanwhile, their Trench Garrison outside Cairo is vanquished.

The bombing of Middlesborough reduces the British air fleet to 5 units, but more importantly…

…the British homeland looks like a wasteland, greatly inhibiting their productive capabilities. The cause for Irish and Scottish independence has never been stronger in the Isles, given that Ireland is the sole producer of Britain’s higher end ships now, while Scotland remains untouched by the war.

Stuart’s capture opens the route to Brisbane. Despite expectations that there would be heavy losses due to it being an overland campaign, the Outback operation is a smashing success, with the heart of Australia now under Japanese control.

Dawson falls, putting much of Canada beneath Japan’s rule.

Fort Severn is taken but a few hours later, ending the American presence in Canada. The United States clings to Alaska, which is a fortress like all other American territories. The United States only retains 5 cities around the world, but with 122 units guarding them, it’s not exactly a fight we want. The American possession in Cuba, however, is very minimally-defended and so is targeted for acquisition.

Week 37, America and Brazil make peace, while France and Russia go to war. Persia clearly has a deathwish, as it declares war on China.

With the French having taken half of Kenya and Mombasa being all that’s left of British East Africa, we order all fleets in Africa southward to the Cape; we hope to enable Boer expansion rather than French. War planners are already anticipating that war with France is a given due to their domination of Africa and solid position in Southeast Asia.

The last of British Egypt is finally liberated. The British have been evicted from one more of their most prized possessions, with East Africa falling apart, Australia slowly being lost and South Africa in the crosshairs of the Japanese Indian Ocean Fleet.

The Australian people feel the hills and mountains outside Brisbane are a great deterrent to any invader…

They’d be wrong.

Link to video.

==1910: WW2 Pt IX (Weeks 41, 45, 49)==

Spoiler :
Week 41, Germany takes Mombasa, driving the British from East Africa barring their tiny possession of Adawa in Ethiopia.

Brisbane is taken, and the city’s numerous empty homes will surely be quite cozy for Japanese settlers. All forces proceed to march on Sydney.

Week 45, the Cubans of Nuevitas welcome us as liberators. From Nuevitas, we begin to plan an assault on the British and American Caribbean. The conquest of Hispaniola is one particular goal – the city of Santo Domingo holds much of the American fleet, and if it goes, so do they.

The theft of America’s plans reveal a taking of Midway and Seward will remain daunting as ever. The High Command feels Midway and Seward are just not valuable enough to devote resources towards taking, and so as soon as the Americans are driven from Samoa and Hispaniola, peace will be made with them. That in mind, the order is given to destroy all American mines and roads in Alaska so as to ensure they will remain a second-rate power. The theft of the plans also reveals that the American fleet off Africa is gone, thus allowing our campaign against South Africa’s coastline to go ahead without delay.

We tear up all alliances against the United States, though our pacts with Uruguay, Persia and Mahdiyah against the USA will not expire for 8 turns.

The British invade Japanese Australia with 3 Cavalry and 1 Armored Car division; the Australian military is increasingly more desperate, sensing the danger to Canberra if we are not repelled. Unfortunately for them, Japan has plenty of artillery and naval vessels to spare, whittling down the offensive and crippling them once again with no losses.

Sydney falls shortly afterward, putting Canberra in the crosshairs of the Japanese war machine. Canberra has a wonder that allows the upgrading of units, so naturally it’s of interest to us.

As an artillery force is rushed in Australia to assist with the taking of Canberra, we destroy two British battleships and two Steamers in the Channel.

1910 draws to a close with the British Empire continuing its decline in the face of a world alliance. Troops are preparing to take Cyprus while a group of 12 WW1 Infantry is about to be deployed to Midway for the sole purpose of killing as many American troops as possible before the war is concluded. Artillery and airships are poised to strike at Hispaniola, and once the British and American possessions are taken there, Japan will most likely clean house and wipe the Mexican and Central American states off the map for good so as to build up towards the taking of the Panama Canal. Once Cyprus is taken, the plan is for all troops to either take Malta or proceed southward to eliminate the Lowlands in the Congo, before turning to take control of South Africa.

Top Bottom