Warlords BattleCiV - A Total Conversion MOD

Looking for people to help with ideas for the Total Conversion.
A bit of what I have so far:

Might * Sorcery/Augury * Wisdom/Knowledge
Spoiler :
Three new special categories that will help define Civilizations even more and make gameplay more unique.

Might is all about power. It mostly deals with direct and energetic influence over other Civilizations and City-States, these effects will almost always be explicit and straightforward, with every known player being aware of what happened and who was the executioner of said action, as well as who was affected by it. This means Might effects are visible, they are about appearance too. Will work through the Power resource.

When it comes down to magic, the choice is obvious: Sorcery/Augury. Having a better grasp on Crystal and Mana is the epitome of this mysterious source of power, regeneration, access to Greater Spells and simply having a higher pool are the faces of this category. The effects are almost universally self-imposed, with only a few that affects other Civilizations, City-States and the gamestate itself. Will work through the Mana resource.

If your plans are supposed to be a cover up for another more intricate project, then Wisdom/Knowledge is what you need. Wisdom/Knowledge is the pebble stealthly thrown in the pond, with ripples going as far as the eye can see, yet, not one of them big enough to be called a wave. When using these effects, their responsability will always be hidden, and sometimes, no one - not even the target - will know something actually happened. Will work through the Information resource.

Victory Conditions
Spoiler :
Magical - Obtain 80% of all Mana sources.
Diplomacy - Same as Diplomatic victory.
Military - Obtain all original Capitals.
Economics - Have a Copy of every Luxury in the map.
Cultural - Just like normal Tourism victory.
Seals - Uncover and crack or dominate all 4 Seals.

Seals
To crack or dominate a Seal, you must achieve a certain condition:
Seal of War
Crack - Must be the first Seal to be cracked. All other Civs are at permanent War with you.
Dominate - Must be the last Seal to be dominated. Defeat the random Titan that appears.
Effect: Relationships between Civs are strained. City-States’ Influence decreases faster.

Seal of Famine
Crack - Kill a Hero 20 turns (scalable with Speed) after opening the Seal.
Dominate - Cannot be at War. Sacrifice a Hero on the Seal.
Effect: -1 Food in all tiles (may become negative). All Cities lose 2 Citizens, even if it would destroy them.

Seal of Death
Crack - Kill 100 enemies of level 4 or higher. (no time limit)
Dominate - Sacrifice 9 level 10 Unique Units on the Seal and on adjacent tiles.
Effect: All non-Unique and non-Titan units take 3 damage per turn outside of borders.

Seal of Plague
Crack - The Lair of Anthargh’s Spawn appears in the map. Get all 3 of it’s Riddles right.
Dominate - The Lair of Anthargh’s Spawn appears in the map. Kill the Spawn.
Effect: Great People spawn rating reduced by 40%. Any unit created/spawned has a 10% chance to die.

There is more - like the Hero system - in the Google Doc. If you want to help, please say so, I'm working alone for more than 2 years now!

killmeplease said:
greets from "warlords 3: darklords rising" fan ;)
didn't play battlecry though
Awesome, it seems to be the consensus that W3 : DR was the best in the series, including the RTS counterpart. I played very little, as it was too complex for a very young mind.

I'm just repeating something I remember seeing on S3rgeus' mod thread.

I'm trying to get a little work done on Warhammer - Nomad's been kind enough to do some models. Ouroboros would appear to be on hold until the nebulous future.

Added plenty of new information to the OP.

Hope this helps to get people on board with the project. :wavey:

Not sure about getting on board, but VERY sure about wanting to play it. Congrates on the scope and variety you have planned.

The spell system especially, sounds fantastic.

This is great to know! I plan on launching a working beta in a few weeks (but you know how 'planning' usually goes around these parts, right?), hopefully close to the beginning of April.

*Updated the OP with a few modifications to the Spell system and a small clean-up of the post.
Changes are in blue*

Updated the OP with the following information:

Keeps
In CiV, the concept of 'advancement' was based on your Technological prowess. This led to some unidimensional play-style where you had to pay attention to your Science at all times, with no other aspect of the game being so fundamental. It was not, however, a problem per se.
In BattleCiV, techs do not exist anymore (as will be explained further down) and your advancement will be based on Keep Levels - which... are tied to Researches (the new techs), but they aren't as needed as Techs are in Civ5! Why? Because you can win the game with rushes while still having your Keep Level as 1 (there is one Civ which is specially suited towards this)!
The Keep will always be in your Capital, with the upgrades being unlocked by the techs - you'll still need to build the new Level, though.
Each alignment will have a different name for the Keep, while the aforementioned will always be the generic name. They are:
  • Stronghold for the Evil civs.
  • Bastion for the Good civs.
  • Fort for the Neutral civs.
    The Fort improvement is renamed as Redoubt.
Units, buildings, processes and others are unlocked with each new Keep Level, which ranges from 1-5.
A player gains access to the Keep research after reaching a high amount of points in it’s Moral Compass (which I'll explain later), then, after the research is complete, the player may build the new Keep in the Capital.

Techs
Technologies are gone, although a very similar form of it assume it's place: The Researches. These are very well known to players coming from WBC games, they increase power to your units, or give them new abilities.
While the Warlord games only had one victory type (Domination), Civ has plenty, BattleCiV has even more, which means Researches had to increase in scope.

With that in mind, the Tech tree is not a single path towards a repeatable tech anymore. There are a few independent branches, they are:
School Spells
  • Each Research either increases your Spellcasting chance in the determined School, your maximum Spell level castable or gives bonuses; these may be specific towards Spellcasters of that school, civ-wide and sometimes to a number of units.
  • At the end of this branch there is a Research called 'Master of Magic', which depends on EVERY tech on this branch.
Generic Research
  • Researches that any Civilization may learn, they increase plenty of different capabilities, like military might, empire-managing and diplomacy.
  • At the end of this branch there is a Research called 'Draconic Binding', which depends on EVERY tech on this branch and unlocks the training of the mighty Dragons.
Seal and Divinity
  • Four Seals bind the Otherworlds away from this realm. This branch increases your chances at finding them, as well as manipulating the forces that arise from it. Another side of this branch is Faith and how it affects your Empire.
  • At the end of this branch there is a Research called 'Deities', which depends on EVERY tech on this branch and gives you access to the special Spellcaster exclusively assigned to your Civilization.
Aligned Researches
  • Between the three alignments, each is able to research from only one of these branches. They do not have the same amount of Researches, and that is by design; Neutral has the least of them, while Evil has the most.
    A few other differences come in how early the different Keep researches come as well. An example is that the Good Civilization has a very early rush to Keep Level 3, but takes the longest to actually reach the last Level (which is 5).
  • At the end of this branch there is an exclusive repeatable Research, which depends on EVERY tech in it's own branch and gives certain bonuses each time it is researched.

A few Screenshots of it:
Spoiler :

* You can see that there is nothing in the Techs yet. I'm still trying to find a way to inform - in the tooltip - of what each Tech does. Another thing I need to do is to group Seal and Divinity and Generic Upgrades under the same 'screen', to avoid a too long tech tree.

Hey! I can't wait to play the mod. Keep the good work.

As a suggestion, you can put some crazy effects on chaos spells like turning a unit into barbarian!

As a suggestion, you can put some crazy effects on chaos spells like turning a unit into barbarian!

Hahaha Loved it!

After a very troublesome work on the internal mechanics, here are a few images of what you can expect:

Unit-related:
Spoiler :

Damage types!

Mana:

The Reputation System:
Spoiler :

Corruption, the main fuel of evil Civs:

Valor, for those who do Good:

New resources:
Spoiler :

The "Time and Weather" system:
Spoiler :

The effects are simply placeholders. Effects on specific Civs will be in their UA, not the tooltip.

The player will get a Notification on weather/time changing:

Hope you all like it, this is a strenuous work, but I am confident it'll be a great mod!
I aim to launch the alpha a bit after Civitar's Warhammer, so probably in 3 months.

I'm still looking for artists, testers and thinkers, as I'm not that good in balancing and art.

Indeed I do.

What with your mod, Civitar's and the blood moon one, in addition to total warhammer and the new call to warhammer mod for medieval 2, I can see all my free time (and quite a lot of my not free time) going up in fantasy gaming smoke.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cheers

It is good to say, in order to avoid any confusion, that this Total Conversion focus VERY MUCH on combat - most of the 100 spells are combat-related -, and you'll have to wage war in order to achieve any of the victory conditions (they have changed since last I posted: Domination, Magical, Seals are the three generic Victories).
I want to create that old feeling from RPGs where it is easy to play the game, even to win, but harder to master.

Indeed I do.

What with your mod, Civitar's and the blood moon one, in addition to total warhammer and the new call to warhammer mod for medieval 2, I can see all my free time (and quite a lot of my not free time) going up in fantasy gaming smoke.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cheers

I can attest that both Civitar's Warhammer and Blood Moon will also be amazing.
Who needs free time, anyway? :lol:

I love the Reputation mechanic. Brilliant! If you can get the AI to steer into using it properly it will purposefully keep civs true to their alignment.

I'm trying to create a system similar to how flavor works, but for the time being (until 0.3 or 0.4, still unsure of which), Evil Civs will be barred from constructing buildings with Valor yield and Good from buildings with Corruption yield.
This same system will be used in order to research Spell Schools; Undead will focus on Necromancy, for example, and will shun Sacred Magic, etc, but without shoehorning any Civ, as to allow more dynamic and preserve the 'new game' feeling.

Neutral Civs are a bit on the weak-side, so, when it comes to the Moral Compass, their total Reputation is the SUM of both Valor and Corruption.
At one point, I planned on making them become Evil/Good at some point due to the Compass, but I left that out, because why can't they keep being Neutral after all?

I came back recently, but things are very slow.

While I'm not sure if I'm porting this to Civ6, Civ5 will certainly see it playable. :D

Agree, I think there is still a lot of life left in CiV for now; we are at the point to where it is moddable to an acceptable level. I am assisting Civitar with Warhammer right now but may get back to Bloodmoon in a little while. I've played VI and must say that I actually like V better for my mod than what VI is at the moment. Maybe once the first Civ VI expansion is released it will be ready but for now I am sticking to CiV.

Glad to hear you are back and excited to see what happens with this!

Top Bottom