Ways Barbarians can win?

lindsay40k

Emperor
If Barbarians control Diplomatic Wonders, it seems they are closed down. But can they hypothetically win by Domination? Or Culture? Or will the just sit there and grind away until the game is closed?

Deity/ Huge/ Marathon/ Desert map ( or pangea, or plains )/ raging barbs

Use fewer than the default number of Civs, say 3 or 4.

-------------------------------------------

I don't think barbs officially win, because after all, no matter how many cities with wonders or how much of the earth and it's population they control, they're uncivilized. Instead, you lose.

I guess what I'm asking is can you get a 'Barbarian has won a ___ victory!' happen?

Deity/ Huge/ Marathon/ Desert map ( or pangea, or plains )/ raging barbs

Use fewer than the default number of Civs, say 3 or 4.

Oooh, I should try that one day, with a beeline to the great wall :D looks like a ton of fun (ok, and maybe not deity ;))

If you play Next War and shoot off enough nukes they win, but that has nothing to do with un-modded BTS.

Oooh, I should try that one day, with a beeline to the great wall :D looks like a ton of fun (ok, and maybe not deity ;))

Settle on metal, or horses or hills. Or with this strategy, stone. Preferably near coasts or rivers. Hundreds of barbs like to pillage your roads.

Think of it as a zombie apocalypse.

Only in Next War, when they win by Domination when 20 nukes have been fired. A WB test would be easy.

It's possible, but the player has to actively help them to win. I think the only victory barbs can win is domination. Either an AI builds the GW or you actively help squash those incoming barbs. Afterward, you have to "feed" barbs by building cities and let barbs capture them. Once they have x% pop and land, they win Domination Victory.

I just used WB to set barb units around every city including my own. Turn 12, barbarians didn't win but every civ destroyed and I lost. Not sure about a domination victory, not willing to invest that much time/effort to test it.

I remember an OP way to handle raging barbs was by playing Japan and using bottleneck points to create super powerful samurai units which then upgraded to uber rifles. But its pure cheese, though very fun.

It worked with farming loads of great generals to attach to your samurai, I cant remember how now because I don't think barbs give GG points ... Maybe it was aggressive AI not raging barbs, hmmm.

NVM, I was completely wrong, I was thinking of always war games with a chokepoint.

Why not trying to go in world builder and add barbarian cities all over the map before you put in those units next to the other cities? just play on tiny map or something, wouldnt that give the ability for a domination victory? just to test if it is possible

In the barbarians scenario, conquering the world with barbarians gets difficult at the end because by that time, the last civilization has a lot walled large cities with longbowmens and medieval units.. I'm guessing you're asking about the barbarian scenario.

"The Barbarians have won a Space Race victory!" - that'd be great to see. Whether it's actually possible, I don't know. IIRC the barbarian tech rate is rather slow. Although occasionally they do wind up being more advanced than particularly backwards civilizations.

Do you really have to feed them cities to let them get a domination victory, though? Don't they gradually expand on their own? Or is there a limit to that?

As for difficulty, would deity be best, since there's no penalty against barbarians? Or would settler (and intentionally not trying very hard to win), since on higher levels the AIs get a production bonus that would harm the barbarians. In other words, do the barbarians also get a production bonus on higher difficulties that would cancel out all increases that non-barbarian AIs got?

I kind of want to try this, but having just played Civ4 all night... probably shouldn't do so right now.

I've never seen a barbarian settler, so I guess they have to conquer them.

I recently had raging barbs capture 2 AI capitals on Deity, even if thats not a win it was crazy.

Heh, my game progression stymied for a while because of raging barbs. I though I was an emperor player within the first ocuple of weeks of playing because I would go raging and beeline GW. Half of the other civs would be overrun by barbs and Iremember thinking "this game is easy."
It's like when I thought I could play immortal because of the Dutch on watery maps. I won my first imm that with Darius of the Dutch (ridiculously strong, especially if most other civs are not financial), and won 2/3 of my next imm games with the dutch (though just as Willemm which is not as strong) in similar set ups. Then I tried imm without that kind of set up and had my butt handed to me.

I once had the barbs capture all the AI civs' capitals by 3500BC. I WB'd a bunch of barb MAs onto a tile, enclosed my capital in water and gave the barbs UNITAI_ATTACK_CITY_LEMMING. The easy way to win.

Wouldn't WBing the GW be easier than enclosing your capital in water?

Top Bottom