Ways they could make each religion more unique

leftisthominid

Warlord
Buddhism: make its missionaries more mobile
Christianity: when a ruler is Christian they can capture and convert temples from other religions to Christian ones
Confucianism: Dunno
Hinduism: Get rid of missionaries. There never was such a thing as a Hindu missionary. Hinduism should spread as a Hindu leader's culture spreads
Islam: It has a 50% chance of setting off a conversion chain reaction, you convert one city in an area and there is 50% chance that it begin to spread really fast
Judaism: Dunno
Taoism: Dunno

leftisthominid said:
Christianity: when a ruler is Christian they can capture and convert temples from other religions to Christian ones
Hinduism: Get rid of missionaries. There never was such a thing as a Hindu missionary. Hinduism should spread as a Hindu leader's culture spreads
Islam: It has a 50% chance of setting off a conversion chain reaction, you convert one city in an area and there is 50% chance that it begin to spread really fast
Judaism: Dunno
Taoism: Dunno

Didnt you see the disclaimer in the manual?

Agreed. The decision to make religions vanilla is intentional. Giving religions "traits" just makes them more prone to be argued and fought over, which is against their intent entirely.

If you do that then some religions will be better than others, which would then cause outrage.

Why is it that everyone thinks that the only way to differentiate religions is to 'pigeonhole' the actual religions themselves. For instance, was 13th Century Christianity warlike because it was Christianity? Of course not, it was because-in Civ4 Parlance-most of the Christian civs at the time were operating the Militant Religious civic. THAT is how religions should be differentiated, by having a greater selection of religious civics AND by having these civics grant both negatives and positives. For instance, a civ adhering to a militant view of their religion is not gonna get on well with those of other faiths, which can be represented by a health or happiness penalty in cities with non-state religions in them. Better still would be if there was a negative penalty for relations between civs who had certain religious civics-like Militants vs. Pacifists, or Fundamentalists vs Free Religion. This could result in poor relations between civs who even have the same FAITH-much like it was in history! Anyways, just my $0.02c worth (Thats AUSTRALIAN cents, btw ;) ).

Aussie_Lurker.

Aussie_Lurker said:
Anyways, just my $0.02c worth (Thats AUSTRALIAN cents, btw ;) ).

Aussie_Lurker.

But there is no 2c in Australia, all you've got is 5c pieces ;)

snipafist said:
Agreed. The decision to make religions vanilla is intentional. Giving religions "traits" just makes them more prone to be argued and fought over, which is against their intent entirely.

Well the fought over bit is the point really most wars are fought over relgion would make alot more sense.

Sobsob said:
Well the fought over bit is the point really most wars are fought over relgion would make alot more sense.

This is not what he was referring too. If they gave them traits people would argue and fight over that in RL. Online, anyway. There are already quite significant diplomatic influences of religion, so I have no problem there at all.

leftisthominid said:

This is possibly the single greatest thing ever said on the internet.

Aussie_Lurker said:
Why is it that everyone thinks that the only way to differentiate religions is to 'pigeonhole' the actual religions themselves. For instance, was 13th Century Christianity warlike because it was Christianity? Of course not, it was because-in Civ4 Parlance-most of the Christian civs at the time were operating the Militant Religious civic. THAT is how religions should be differentiated, by having a greater selection of religious civics AND by having these civics grant both negatives and positives. For instance, a civ adhering to a militant view of their religion is not gonna get on well with those of other faiths, which can be represented by a health or happiness penalty in cities with non-state religions in them. Better still would be if there was a negative penalty for relations between civs who had certain religious civics-like Militants vs. Pacifists, or Fundamentalists vs Free Religion. This could result in poor relations between civs who even have the same FAITH-much like it was in history! Anyways, just my $0.02c worth (Thats AUSTRALIAN cents, btw ;) ).

Aussie_Lurker.

I agree. Just because Hindus never had missionaries doesn't mean that the concept of a Hindu missionary is flawed. Too often I feel people want Civ to force each game down the historical route. The whole point os it isn't history, it's an alternative history where maybe Hindus do have missionaries, or maybe there's a Buddhist Crusade against Judaism.

Aussie_Lurker said:
Why is it that everyone thinks that the only way to differentiate religions is to 'pigeonhole' the actual religions themselves. For instance, was 13th Century Christianity warlike because it was Christianity? Of course not, it was because-in Civ4 Parlance-most of the Christian civs at the time were operating the Militant Religious civic. THAT is how religions should be differentiated, by having a greater selection of religious civics AND by having these civics grant both negatives and positives. For instance, a civ adhering to a militant view of their religion is not gonna get on well with those of other faiths, which can be represented by a health or happiness penalty in cities with non-state religions in them.

Interesting point - does anybody else notice that you tend to piss off people with different religions more if you have the Organized Religion or Theocracy civics? I notice once you adopt Free Religion, the religion penalties disappear, but that's pretty obvious.

LOL anyone who doesn't think Hinuism has missionaries hasn't been to Los Angeles. :lol:

I think there should be some kind of small bonus for whatever religion you chose, simply because most games seem to break down into Hindu vs Budda, with a dash of Judaism. The later religions, especially Islam, are rarely practiced, while in reality we know thats far from the truth.

leftisthominid said:

From my experience and education on Christianity, shouldn't their missionairies get some movement/enemy territory or health bonus, there are Christian missionairies is almost every country, whether it's "war-torn" or not, as well as provided direct help to the people.

Don't Buddhist monks mainly stay in their temples?

This is exactly the reason why Religions don't have special attributes.

3 of the 7, you couldn't come up with an attribute and the ones you did, didn't seem to fit at all or are using an example of a very small piece of that religion's history, that isn't related to it's actual philosphy, teachings etc.

This is aside as stated above that often when people claim events are for religion reasons, they aren't, they are sometimes cultural and so some people assume it's religious, and/or it's nationalist and leaders smoke and mirrors it so people think it's for a religion.

Yep. There are VERY FEW consitencies between followers of a single religion -- and they're usually so semantic that they could not be represented as a Civ 4 bonus in any meaningful way.

I don't think it's just a question of political correctness. It's a question of historical correctness.

You see, this is why I am sticking to 'Doctrinal' civics which I believe can be extrapolated into Civ4 game terms. Like Evangalistic will now get the ability to produce Missionaries without Missions, whilst Organised will probably get bonus gold in State Religion Cities (tithes). Ascetic Religions will most likely get some kind of health bonus in State Religion cities and a possible happiness bonus from Missions-but get a reduction to gold in State Religion cities (after all, they are more interested in the health of body and soul than in other, more material things).Orthodox Religions are big on tradition and ritual, and hence deserve a culture bonus, but are more resistant to new ideas-hence a reduction in science. Militant is an obvious one, and reformist bring in the whole 'protestant work ethic'-hence bonus food and hammers, but are also quite iconoclastic-hence reduced culture in state religion cities. Pantheists are more accepting of the beliefs and ideas of other cultures-though not, perhaps, to the extent of Free Religion-and hence stimulate trade and science. Sacrificial religions believe in offering up people and/or animals to appease their Deity/deities, and the fear this generates can keep the people in line better-but at a cost to a city's ability to grow. Additionally, it can be a good way to bring in tribute (gold and hammers) from their heathen neighbours. Fundamentalists use strict interpretations of the faith to keep people in line (+1 happiness in state religion cities), but at a cost to research which is even greater than that of Orthodoxy.
Anyway, just some thoughts.

Aussie_Lurker.

I for one like the expanded civics idea and think this would be the route to go in adding more personality to religions in the game- next expansion hopefully

Aussie, I've always been a big fan of your idea of expanding religious civics for religious differences. You COULD imagine two columns: one for religious organization, and one for religious values.

maybe their could be 1 civic that gives a bonus to spicific like pacifist could give a bonus to buddism or if your state religion is daoism you could use enviromentalism w/o the tech? also a note is that buddism, confutionism and daoism are not truely religions like you could be a daoist-chatholic

sorry about da spellin.

Top Bottom