Weird bug...

magic9mushroom

Chieftain
I started a new game recently, and was rather surprised to discover that despite being Domai, I had the ability to build Scout Rovers, Gun Foils, and Synthmetal Hoverboats. The next game I started as the Drones didn't have this strange occurrence.

Anyone else ever had this sort of weird behaviour?

I'll note that I started with a Scout Rover instead of a Scout Patrol, as well.

Don't recall seeing that one before. Do you have a save file (perhaps an autosave)? Without a save file, not much can be done.

I downloaded the save file and looked at it. Can't find an explanation for what happened. You seem to have Doc:Mob and Doc:Flex (same starting techs as the Pirates), but the techs don't show up as having been researched. You can't design new units with rover or foil chassis, but you can reverse engineer existing units. Also, the Drone research began in MY 2107, instead of later.

I'll keep this save file file in case the bug-fixing project ever starts up again. However, it appears to be a one-off situation that may never recur. Thanks for posting the save file, though.

I downloaded the save file and looked at it. Can't find an explanation for what happened. You seem to have Doc:Mob and Doc:Flex (same starting techs as the Pirates), but the techs don't show up as having been researched. You can't design new units with rover or foil chassis, but you can reverse engineer existing units. Also, the Drone research began in MY 2107, instead of later.

I'll keep this save file file in case the bug-fixing project ever starts up again. However, it appears to be a one-off situation that may never recur. Thanks for posting the save file, though.

When I was playing that file, I didn't get any research until 2110. I just manually set the research (clicking on the icon in the F2 screen) because I hadn't played Drones before and didn't know that they didn't get research early.

When I open the save file, the year is 2107 and the drones just began researching CentEco. Do you see something else?

When I open the save file, the year is 2107 and the drones just began researching CentEco. Do you see something else?

"Just began" as in "no research accumulated yet"?

I manually set research to CentEco but no research accumulated until 2110.

You're right - no research is being accumulated. I didn't know that the Drones could start researching a tech before MY 2110.

You're right - no research is being accumulated. I didn't know that the Drones could start researching a tech before MY 2110.

You don't know how to manually set research? There's an icon at the upper left of the F2 window, and clicking it will allow you to set your goal. You don't have to wait for research to actually start accumulating.

As such, I manually set research to CentEco, but no progress was being made and so it still showed as "just started".

I definitely have read about this bug before. It's a known issue. Unfortunately, I don't remember what I read clearly. I think it was something about that using Quick Start would occasionally allow you to build units you had available in your previous game if you left that game and use Quick Start immediatly. I may be wrong though.

Go to civgaming.net if you want to be sure. They should have it on their bug list or at least know something about it. Answers may be slow though. That forum is a near-death state like any othe Smac forum.

@civac - Your comment rang a bell. Are you thinking of the bug described in BlackCat's post #137 in the Apolyton mega-bug thread?

@magic9mushroom - I know how to manually set research. I just don't bother to do so when playing the Drones. When their research starts to accumulate, you get a popup asking you to select a tech to research. Also, does the bug described above match yours?

Yes, thats the one I was thinking of although my memory of the conditions was faulty.

It was a new game after quitting a loaded game, but it wasn't Quick Started, nor did I have Synthmetal Hoverboats, Scout Rovers, or Gun Foils in the previous game IIRC.

Top Bottom