Weird red terrain blotches, no antialiasing?

I'll go out on a limb here and state that that moderator over at 2k is mistaken - the red blobs on the OP's screenshots are very reminiscent of artifacts created by rendering problems in Civ4. There *may* be some sort of reddish stuff intended - but I doubt its any of these. The screen of a red something next to the horses is also certainly not intended.

Please keep posting your dxdiag results files - I'll go through them sometime later today to see if there is anything in common. A screenshot of what you see would also be helpful to accompany the dxdiag results file - just to make sure its the same issue.

I have attached both a recent screenshot and my dxdiaog. This screenshot only shows the issue on tundra though I am sure I have seen it elsewhere.

Attachments

• red-blobs.jpg
    red-blobs.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 528
  • DxDiag.txt
    32.6 KB · Views: 117
I have attached both a recent screenshot and my dxdiaog. This screenshot only shows the issue on tundra though I am sure I have seen it elsewhere.

BTW: You dont need to connect the horse ressource with a road any more ;)

And I have the same issues with the red dots... :mad:

I'm having the same problem. Here are a couple screens and my dxdiag report:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Attachments

• DxDiag_greps.txt
    49.2 KB · Views: 69
Also I am running it in DirectX 9 mode, all settings on full.

Side issue I have a HD4850 or HD4870 and I can't get it to run in DirectX 10 mode, it only gives me 9 and 11, anyone know why?

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    30.3 KB · Views: 62
Ok I fixed my problem. I found out that even though I have a DirectX10.1 card and DirectX 10.1, I needed to download the windows platform update to get DirectX 11.0 (I already had Vista SP2), so that Civ could use Direct X 10............................. :confused:

Anyway, once I ran it with DirectX 10 all the red blotches are completely gone (4XAA was enabled).

So clearly this is a bug, and has nothing whatsoever to do with "nature". Hope this helps some people.

I'm getting the red splotches when running the game in DirectX 9...everything looks fine when I run it in DirectX 10/11 but the game seems to run worse.

Dxdiag attached.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    28.2 KB · Views: 95
seeing as my system (and soon you will be seeing) is incapable of running the game in DX10/11, I must run in DX9. I get lots of red blotches. I have even seen cities fail to appear.

A city!

Sorry no screenshot, happened yesterday. I can absolutely guarantee to you that I am getting the same DX9 red blotches as are being reported... I scoured the manual for 10 minutes trying to figure out what it meant! I remember vividly.

Hi J,

My only comment would be that Zorven and Ayt have a different bug, and perhaps the two should be separated. Thanks.

I'm getting the same thing only 12 hours a go it was running fine, and now massive restripes are everywhere, and those red blotches as well.
The only thing I did was force anti aliasing with my control panel but after these showed up I turned it off again but its still doing it

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    36.1 KB · Views: 62
ok checked the dxdiag results files and there is no real common denominator. Both ATI and NVIDIA cards a re affected all windows OS versions are affected and ald DirectX versions. Most users run sort of recent card drivers (july 2010) - though people should check whether newer ones are available. Only Petek and zerotwo might want to really check their manufacturer's site more carefully though - there drivers are not terribly recent to :old: (Petek :p).
Machines range from low end to very high end of specs - so I'd regard it mostly as a limitation of the game's graphics engine - the only thing everyone has in common are intel processors - but thats not terribly surprising given the market share.

uff...might be, but that's not sure.
:think: Zorven, Ayt do you both also get anything which looks exaclty like in the opening post.

No, just the one like Ayt showed.

that does indeed look like a graphics card artifact, overheating would be my choice of suspicion as well - if its a desktop you might want to open it up and check that there is no dust buildup there. Does the machine get any louder than usual?

Okay its gotten so bad my game is unplayable massive red stripes cover almost everything, and some tiles are grayed out, dots are also appearing everywhere and the dx9 version crashes on startup. I'm going to try a clean install later.

ok checked the dxdiag results files and there is no real common denominator. Both ATI and NVIDIA cards a re affected all windows OS versions are affected and ald DirectX versions. Most users run sort of recent card drivers (july 2010) - though people should check whether newer ones are available. Only Petek and zerotwo might want to really check their manufacturer's site more carefully though - there drivers are not terribly recent to :old: (Petek :p).
Machines range from low end to very high end of specs - so I'd regard it mostly as a limitation of the game's graphics engine - the only thing everyone has in common are intel processors - but thats not terribly surprising given the market share.

Is this better? :blush:

Still seeing red blobs, though.

Attachments

• DxDiag_New.txt
    55.5 KB · Views: 53
I had the red blotches. (DX9, NVIDIA GTS 250 vid card). Honestly... I thought they were berries for the reindeer to eat. :mischief:

Maybe it's the Red Menace they warned us about?

A comment in "MapGenerator.lua":

-- Each plot has a continent art type. Mixing and matching these could look
-- extremely bad, but there is nothing technical to prevent it. The worst
-- that will happen is that it can't find a blend and draws red checkerboards.

So those red blotches are likely some placeholder graphic for faulty map-generation scripts. Not a result of video card / drivers / some such error.

PS. Well, I can comment on the demo only still.
Can't understand, how they didn't find those blotches in the demo, as there is only one pre-generated map...

Top Bottom