Weirdest (Almost) Historical Challenges

Blue Sun

Chieftain
Hi, everybody:

Human history is weird, but, sometimes, it's weirdest. So I challenge the most experienced (or craziest) players to achieve these weird history challenges. If you know another (almost) historical scenarios, please, add them to the post. I beg you to follow the same scheme and numeration:

1- Congo achieves the Apollo Program:
(Well, it was Zambia, but Congo is the nearest country we can play)

2- Ethiopia builds the Apostolic Palace:
(Ok, it should be Mali, but their game start is too late. BUT... if you get this challenge as Mali, you would be the greatest of us)

3- Inca expedition to Rapa Nui:
(You have to reach or discover by cultural growth Easter Island before europeans make contact with you)

4- Polynesians arrive to South America:
(The opposite scenario to the previous one. You must contact with incas before europeans make contact with them. Bonus points if you are able to reach their coasts...)

5- Mali arrives to South America:
(Similar to previous scenarios. You have to discover America before the european arrival)

6- Spain conquer or vassalize China before 1600:
(Do you like a big war? Then, take the Phillipines and then launch a full-scale invasion of the Ming Empire. Good luck, you'll need it)

Attachments

• waka.png
    waka.png
    969.8 KB · Views: 492
Challenge: do something that causes me to patch it out of the game

Just don't expect to break youtien's record in this particular challenge.

A photo of me abusing the Silver Tree Fountain + Branderburg Gate combo. Basically, you build the Silver Tree Fountain, beeline to nationalism and build the Branderburg Gate, then turn of your tech. Make sure to also get the free Great General from Nobility and spam warriors or some really weak and cheap unit along the way. Suiciding your Great General from Nobility will make the Great General XP threshold reach 1. Then, you can keep on attaching your Great General to the warriors or something and then repeatedly suicide them into a city, amassing massive amounts of great people. The number of people you gain is equivalent to the number of suicide units you can field, and can be over 1 a turn. Note that even if you have more than enough XP to get the next great general, it won't give it to you until you get more XP, so you just spam a bunch of siege units and seat them outside independent cities to generate XP.

Attachments

• STF.png
    STF.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 409

Ok, I won't rest until I find something that forces you to patch out it, hehe ;)
(Thank you again for DoC. Your efforts to improve it are priceless)

By the way, what did Youtien do?

Oh, it's been a few years but they did a lot of stuff centered around setting up the starting situation for a civilization to switch to later with the previous situation.

I have really struggled to "GO EASTWARDS!" as Arabia. Arabia is my favourite start in RFCDOC, mostly due to their incredibly strong potential:
* Very powerful starting units (Mobile Guard and Ghazi will wreck archers even with city defence in walls)
* Very powerful starting diplomacy (Byzantium is passive, Iran and Turkestan will easily collapse/be vassalized, you have a few hundred years before any threats arrive)
* Very strong economy (great fertile land, a bunch of free wonders from either conquest or early religion)
* Decent civics
* Great UHP (spread Islam to every city you conquer)
* If you're willing to exploit, then you can be even stronger by improving lands around Arabia/Mesopotamia, and rerolling for the Byzantium war-declaration to get a bunch of top-tier units 400 years early.
So, normally, when you're going for the UHV, you're basically spreading eastwards and westwards, trying to get set up in North Africa so you can eventually get to Spain, and in Iran so you can kill the Turks when they spawn.
The real challenge? Conquer China and convert the Far-East to Islam. Unfortunately it's a lot harder that it sounds because in 600 AD, China gets access pretty quickly to Chu-Ko-Nus, as well as Walls in most of their cities, so you can just about punch into Beijing or Shenyang before China will be able to resist you. Even if you get Trebuchets in time, you just can't build and move them quick enough to take out the stronger Chinese economy.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...d-in-doc-thread.442137/page-228#post-16427325 -> Here you can see where I conquered China as the Turks, by starting as Persia and improving all the terrain around Samarqand. Presumably if you're willing to game it as Arabia the fabled Sinic Caliphate can be achieved?

I have really struggled to "GO EASTWARDS!" as Arabia. Arabia is my favourite start in RFCDOC, mostly due to their incredibly strong potential:
* Very powerful starting units (Mobile Guard and Ghazi will wreck archers even with city defence in walls)
* Very powerful starting diplomacy (Byzantium is passive, Iran and Turkestan will easily collapse/be vassalized, you have a few hundred years before any threats arrive)
* Very strong economy (great fertile land, a bunch of free wonders from either conquest or early religion)
* Decent civics
* Great UHP (spread Islam to every city you conquer)
* If you're willing to exploit, then you can be even stronger by improving lands around Arabia/Mesopotamia, and rerolling for the Byzantium war-declaration to get a bunch of top-tier units 400 years early.
So, normally, when you're going for the UHV, you're basically spreading eastwards and westwards, trying to get set up in North Africa so you can eventually get to Spain, and in Iran so you can kill the Turks when they spawn.
The real challenge? Conquer China and convert the Far-East to Islam. Unfortunately it's a lot harder that it sounds because in 600 AD, China gets access pretty quickly to Chu-Ko-Nus, as well as Walls in most of their cities, so you can just about punch into Beijing or Shenyang before China will be able to resist you. Even if you get Trebuchets in time, you just can't build and move them quick enough to take out the stronger Chinese economy.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...d-in-doc-thread.442137/page-228#post-16427325 -> Here you can see where I conquered China as the Turks, by starting as Persia and improving all the terrain around Samarqand. Presumably if you're willing to game it as Arabia the fabled Sinic Caliphate can be achieved?
The real challenge for Arabia, imho - spread islam to whole world befor civil rights. I tried. but I was not successful. You have to build large armies and fight on several fronts at once, which is hard to manage

Attachments

• arabia.jpg
    arabia.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 308
5- Mali arrives to South America:
(Similar to previous scenarios. You have to discover America before the european arrival)
Don't remeber how i did it (screenshots from saves of old game), but of coz you need some luck. Got cartograhpy at 1365. And didnt go for UHV 100%
I remeber i send 2 started kelebobo to capture Tripoly fast and spam workers for fast grow. 600AD game, epic/monarch
And send a slave to asia for tech/resource trades

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0276.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0276.JPG
    352 KB · Views: 147
  • Civ4ScreenShot0277.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0277.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 182
1- Congo achieves the Apollo Program:
(Well, it was Zambia, but Congo is the nearest country we can play)
Done. Marathon/monarch 600AD start game
Not sure what marathon speed is needed. My game plan was capture Mali nad Egypt ASAP, and since they quite far from my core i tryed to use marathon game speed. But what you need - is luck. I sent 2 started Pombos to capture Mali (use conquest and citizinship, if 2 will be not enough), but then findout, what Egypt under Turkey control - and Pombos not so good vs Janisiary. So i went to slow expand to subequatorial Africa... Just wait then Moors colapse and take Tripoly and wait till Turkey colapse and take Egypt and holy cities (in my game it was around 1830). Also, i stayed pagan for quite long time - and got 2 bonus. Sweden gifted me Fortification, and England (much later) - Crop Rotation. And since most of your neighbors are muslim - i shoosed it for my state religion (anyway i didnt got catholicism in my cites)) And one more luck - at start of the game - Portugal was allready vasalized by Spain - so no conquer event))
And of coz dont foget to send someone to Asia - for possible trades

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0278.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0278.JPG
    843 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
6- Spain conquer or vassalize China before 1600:
(Do you like a big war? Then, take the Phillipines and then launch a full-scale invasion of the Ming Empire. Good luck, you'll need it)
Well... and it's done too)
Used @SultanRedSnake guide (great guide), played for UHV (to be more historical) and righ after foundation of Manila - ivaded China and vassalazied them. Marathon\Monarch game. In this case - marathon speed - best choice.
Civ4ScreenShot0281.JPG

2- Ethiopia builds the Apostolic Palace:
(Ok, it should be Mali, but their game start is too late. BUT... if you get this challenge as Mali, you would be the greatest of us)
Although Ethiopia can found Catholicism - it can be found only in Europe(( So you need city in Europe. I captured barbarian Rome...
No way Mali can do that. Someone from Europeans will definitely research Doctrine before Mali spawn. England was 2 turns after me, and Byzantine was 5 turn away
etheop.png

Although Ethiopia can found Catholicism - it can be found only in Europe(( So you need city in Europe. I captured barbarian Rome...
No way Mali can do that. Someone from Europeans will definitely research Doctrine before Mali spawn. England was 2 turns after me, and Byzantine was 5 turn away
View attachment 683947
I take my words back. I just remember, while playing Polinesia, you can found Catholicism in Sydney. So I entered WB.... Well, you can found Catholicism In Congo and South Africa. Also in Iceland, or both Americas. You have plenty of time. And with some luck you can byu Compas from China at this moment (at least on marathon speed) and found Catholicism in America)). Also you can conquer Maya))
As for this game, I need just sent ship with settler to south Africa, instead Rome.

Spoiler And here we are. In South Africa :
south africa.png

UPD. I switch Catholicism ti abuse all this beautiful wonders, while so few Catholic civs and then suddenly...
Spoiler i just forgot about such opportunities :

abuse.png

as i remember, in vanilla Ethiopia UHV include foundation of 5 religions?

UPD2. w/o longboat you cant reach Americas...

Last edited:
Top Bottom