• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What 5 Civilizations Should Always Be In Civ?

Pick Five Civilizations that you think should always be in Civ

• Rome

Votes: 822 83.4%
  • Greece

Votes: 519 52.6%
  • Persia

Votes: 161 16.3%
  • Egypt

Votes: 594 60.2%
  • Babylon

Votes: 190 19.3%
  • Ottoman Empire

Votes: 57 5.8%
  • Mali

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Russia

Votes: 179 18.2%
  • Germany

Votes: 199 20.2%
  • France

Votes: 174 17.6%
  • Spain

Votes: 57 5.8%
  • England

Votes: 482 48.9%
  • America

Votes: 204 20.7%
  • Aztecs

Votes: 98 9.9%
  • Incas

Votes: 53 5.4%
  • Indians

Votes: 226 22.9%
  • Chinese

Votes: 680 69.0%
  • Japanese

Votes: 85 8.6%
  • Mongols

Votes: 96 9.7%
  • Other (Please post if you have other)

Votes: 47 4.8%

• Total voters
There have been more or less 7 great dominant empires in the world: in rough chronological order.

Egypt (Late Kingdom)
Greece (okay, I know Alexander was Macedonian)
China (Han, Tang, or Ming dynasties)
Rome (this should be obvious, under Augustus Caesar)
Arabia (The Abbasid Caliphate around 800-1000 AD)
Britain (1880 or so)
America (present day)

Europe
China
India
Egypt
Persia (Babylonia)

Most representative. Qualified by longevity, permanence and continuability.

Mongolia said:
I don't see how China was the most influential Civilization, it was definetly the most influential in Asia, but I don't think it was the most influential in the world, for most of it's history, it remained isolated, fighting amounst itself.

The sheer number of inventions that have come out of China over the ages are stunning. They are the pioneers of pretty much everything.

Also, you know there is a pretty big world outside of America and Europe... Asia contains the vast majority of the world's population. Most influential in Asia should pretty much be synonymous with most influential in the world.

Rome, China, Egypt and England (pains me to say it as a Scot).

The 5th spot is up for grabs.

Willem said:
The fact that it did last a long time was it's legacy, it kept essentially the same form of government for thousands of years. And with minimal internal turmoil. Look at today's world, how many countries can live up to that record?

On the subject of including cultures that did not survive but could have, let me put in a good word for the Hittites. Their civilization lasted for many centuries; they were one of the ggeat powers of western Asia; and they discovered the art of forging steel. So I would welcome their return.

Öjevind

Dearmad said:
Swizterland may be older... I grant that. But I'm not sure, they rewrote the constitutional core in 1999 or parts of it I think.

That Switzerland altered its constitution doesn't mean that it is suddenly another country...

Öjevind

Akka said:
Actually, the language all over the world is American much more than English.
And it's pointless to bicker about the name of the language. The influence it has gained is solely due to USA. As such, this cultural influence is USA's one, not England's.test", by far.

Soo... they speak English in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Australia, South Africa and the West Indies because of The USA? And English is one of the official languages of India (and of many African countries) because of the USA?

Öjevind

dpaajones said:
(I say Great Britain as the states involved are the Kingdoms of England and Scotland 1689-1707, the United Kingdom of Great Britain 1707-1800, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland 1801-1922 and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 1922-present... therefore only the territory of Great Britain and not today's United Kingdom has had a single continuous government.)

I find that reasoning strange. Iin that case, the United States has only existed since 1865, when the Confederacy was once more integrated with the Union. As for England, it has been around since before the Conquest, so Iäd say the coutnry ahs a very long continuous history as a political entity. The Civ in the game si Called England, not the UK or Great Britain.

Öjevind

Civilicious said:
Let's break this down for some analysis and try and leave out the tribalism and America hating lunacy, though I confess these days I hate it more than some of you.

3. America (rank 3 is exceedingly stingy for the only nation to put a man on the moon, invented the bomb, internet (thanks Al), computers, the automobile

Just a minor point: the automobile was invented by Frenchmen and germans, not by Americans.

Öjevind

In that case it should be noted that it was Germans taken to America after WW2 who invented the bomb, the US space program owes most to German rocket technology taken after WW2 and an Englishman (Charles Babbage) invented the computer.

Elmorell said:
There have been more or less 7 great dominant empires in the world: in rough chronological order.

Egypt (Late Kingdom)
Greece (okay, I know Alexander was Macedonian)
China (Han, Tang, or Ming dynasties)
Rome (this should be obvious, under Augustus Caesar)
Arabia (The Abbasid Caliphate around 800-1000 AD)
Britain (1880 or so)
America (present day)

The mongols and spanish should be in there...and America has never been a great dominant empire.

While Amreica is the most powerful empire today, it certainly is not dominant and does not compare to the great empires of Greece and Rome.

Anyways, my 5 are:

-Rome
-Greece
-Egypt
-England
-Persia

spartacosothrax said:
Egypt,Greece,Rome,France,Germany

Either reconaissance or a.o.enlighttment were based on greek ideas

Well both, mostly cause what left of the Greek world came to us from the Romans!!! Ideas are mostly from Greek philosophers... but not without the Romans filter!

Head Serf said:
However the automobile and the system of its production were perfected by Henry Ford, an American.

Not really. There were excellent cars (for their time) before Ford - just the way the Model T Ford was excellent in its day but hardly now, except for vintage car buffs. What Ford did was perfect the use of the assembly line, as you mention in your post.

Öjevind

Greece - Greece, Macedonia, it doesn't matter as long as Alexander is there.

Mongols - Empire was bigger than Alexander's, way bigger.

England - Biggest empire ever
Originally posted by Jimbo30
pains me to say it as a Scot
me too. :cry:

China - The game goes on to 2050. Due to the amazing progress China has made over the last few years as a major world power, they could well turn out to be one of the all time greats. China has been a strong nation for hundreds of years anyway.

Rome - It would be stupid to think of a Civ game without Rome.

Egypt was really the first proper civilization - a close 6th

TylerDurdon said:
Well both, mostly cause what left of the Greek world came to us from the Romans!!! Ideas are mostly from Greek philosophers... but not without the Romans filter!

Not really. After the Roman Empire definitely split in two in AD 395, knowledge of the Greek language and literature gradually died out in the west. And no one had bothered to translate the works of Greek authors into Latin since all educated Romans knew Greek until the decline set in. Knowledge of classical Greek and the Greek classics was revived during the Renaissance through a lot of Byzantine monks who beginning in the 14th century started to flee to Italy from the invading Turks. Of course, a couple of centuries before that the West had once more started to become familiar with the Greek authors through Arabic translations which they translated into Latin. This first comeback of the Greeks happened through Muslim Spain.

Before it was too late, a few Greek works had been translated into Latin by Roman scholars who noticed how the knowledge of Greek was fading. Among the translated works were "Timaios" (one of Plato's dialogues) and Aristotle's Introduction to his book about logic. The latter became tremendously important for the evolution of western philosophy up to this day; the medieval scholastics endlessly discussed it and refined the arguments in it.

The findings of Greek science (including the insight that the Earth is round, not flat) were included in the massive Encyclopaedia written by Bishop Isidore of Seville in the 6th century. So medieval Europeans (at least those with some education) never thought that the Earth was flat.

Öjevind

Top Bottom