what am I in for with Civ 5?

Allen55

Chieftain
Downloading it now. I have never played ANY of the civ games, but a friend just told me to download this one and play it as it would be well worth it.

What am I in for here? Im a former WoW player. What can I expect form this game?

Allen

Welcome to CFC :).

What you can expect depends on if you can get it or not.
Either this game will suck you totally in, or you'll leave totally bored.

If you have no idea what this game is about...well...it's a turn based (NOT real time) strategy game.
You take a small tribe of people, and create a civilization out of them, with roughly 500 turns from the stone age to the future. You settle cities, build units, fight wars, until you've either conquered the whole world, or achieved any other victories.
And then you'll do that again...and again...and again...for just one more turn...
hopefully :D.

What The J said.

Civ (any version of it) will either suck you in, or leave you totally bored. Civ V is a good version to start with, because it's the easiest to win of all the Civ games. It's also got a few maddening aspects about it that (since you are new) you might not notice at first.

Good luck with the game. I suggest playing a few games at the easy level just to get a feel for the game. At the chieftian level the AI's pretty much leave you alone allowing you to build and learn the game without a lot of war. Ultimatly though, at the higher difficulty levels, you'll find you have to go to war. Playing at the lower levels doesn't prepare you for that, so that's why you should just move up one level at a time to figure out how to balance war, food, happiness, culture and science.

My rule of thumb with playing Civ is play the easy level first to learn the game. After you can easily beat the level you are playing on, move up one level. (Then simply rinse and repeat) Don't keep playing the easy level, because if you do, you'll make a lot of bad habits that will hinder you playing at the more difficult levels.

Once you feel comfortable playing the game in it's vanilla form, check out the mods. There are some terrific mods out there.

Civilization is the best game on the planet. But then you'll get that most of the folks here, hence the name of the web site. :lol:

Civ 5 was the first ever Civ game I've played, but I started on Prince and was easily able to hold my own from the start, and win after a practice game or two. It helps if you've ever played any/many RTS games, in the past. Civ is turn-based, but the real-time strategy games are much the same idea, just quicker and somewhat shallower. After having started my gaming career with Warcraft II, Starcraft, Command & Conquer and the like, falling into the rythmn and playstyle of CiV felt pretty natural.

Do yourself a favour and learn it properly!

It's amazing how many people I know who've bought the game, played about 2 games and given up because they "Don't understand hammers/food/tile outputs/tile improvements/happiness/culture etc" This game has a lot of factors that you can keep track of and assign more/less of your time to each game. That's what keeps the replayability. You can play a small nation focused on culture and wealth, a huge empire that crushes everyone in it's path, a small continent focused on keeping ahead on technology. You can assign cities to be more focused on production, gold, growth, etc.

Basically what I'm saying is that there's a lot to keep track of when you're playing it. Lots of numbers that will all seem odd at first, you won't know exactly what they all do, how to get them and whether or not they're worth it. But persevere! Learn them! The game has tutorials, and there's a manual via PDF on steam if you need it, and always these forums. Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions.

If you understand it, you'll enjoy it, I just know so many people who don't bother to understand it.

Top Bottom