What are the chances of a modified graphics system?

labellavienna

Warlord
How sure are we that a modder can change the atrocious graphics into something decent and playable? Right now it is the only thing that prevents me and a few friends from pre-ordering the game.

But' I've witnessed the incredible talents of gamers and I know that they can make miracles happen. Just anything including a desaturated version would be almost decent.

I'm curious. Why do you say that the graphics are atrocious? They look really good to me.

But to answer your question, the devs have promised that civ6 will be very mod friendly. So, once the game is released, I am sure there will be a ton of graphics mods that do what you want.

If graphics worry you so much that you won't buy the game and they are the sole reason why you are not getting it you are looking into the wrong genre of game.

But to each his own I suppose. To answer your question, I do not think what you are suggesting will be easy and I'm not even sure it is possible. If I were you I would not be keeping up expectations to see a graphic overhaul mod anytime soon.

The graphics have grown on me as I've watched the gameplay videos, but I can see how the saturation could be an issue. It almost hurts my eyes at times and could be toned down. Firaxis could even include a saturation slider in the options menu, which I believe isn't a very difficult feat at all to accomplish.

If graphics worry you so much that you won't buy the game and they are the sole reason why you are not getting it you are looking into the wrong genre of game.

But to each his own I suppose. To answer your question, I do not think what you are suggesting will be easy and I'm not even sure it is possible. If I were you I would not be keeping up expectations to see a graphic overhaul mod anytime soon.

Just my opinion as I do love Civilization very much, friends and I always have a blast raiding each other's cities and threatening war...it's a thing. Graphics are important for me because I am staring at the damn screen for 5-7 hours a game, I want not to be busting out laughing at the looney toons that's trying to invade my city.

Not an issue for fun, but sometimes I want to be serious too and want to take it seriously without thinking...damn Candy Land.

I'm curious. Why do you say that the graphics are atrocious? They look really good to me.

But to answer your question, the devs have promised that civ6 will be very mod friendly. So, once the game is released, I am sure there will be a ton of graphics mods that do what you want.

They look good for me when I want to just enjoy a fun casual game, but if I am seriously rolling up my sleeves and giving my neighbors a word about encroaching on that which is mine...I wanna do it without busting out laughing every few minutes at the ridonkulous. C'mon I can compromise, can't they make it just a tiny bit more serious looking?

I do not see how the art style makes the game childish but then again, its a subjective thing I suppose.

It's more stylised but I actually prefer it this way, more detail on the units and they catch the eye. Also un stacked cities work well with the new graphics.

At the beginning I had doubts but it started to grow on me, the fact that the mechanics seem to be a great improvement to civ 5 also makes me puthink the issue aside.

I'd suggest you look at more videos and see if you can give it a shot, the alternative is patience and to hope someone feels like putting in the time and effort to change up all art in the game.

Can't see a problem here. The graphics appear to do a good job of making a fairly complex map reasonably clear. There's going to be a lot more stuff out there late in the game which we haven't seen in the videos yet and it will still have to be quickly comprehensible.

With thousands of hours in Civ III, IV, and V, I'm likely going to skip this one merely because I find the graphics repulsive.

You're right, I'll try to be more open minded. Just that I know myself so well, I tried to look at those videos and force myself to focus but damn I keep looking at the bright green jolly rancher grass and the upside down ice cream cone pine trees...my imagination goes wild.

Sad part is that Civ 6 is turning out awesome and I'm loving it. I don't like to "settle" but my love for Civ might surpass my super pickiness.

With thousands of hours in Civ III, IV, and V, I'm likely going to skip this one merely because I find the graphics repulsive.

I knoooooow, it's like having an ugly child and still having to love it anyway jk (hating on kids is no joke).

But I feel your pain, i am sure that if people can re skin units...then grass and mountains can't be far behind?

I knoooooow, it's like having an ugly child and still having to love it anyway jk (hating on kids is no joke).

But I feel your pain, i am sure that if people can re skin units...then grass and mountains can't be far behind?

:rolleyes: There is nothing ugly about Civ 6. If you think Civ 6 is ugly then one has no idea about anything about visual language, gameplay values, priorities among other things.

The game is fine.

There is nothing childish about this game, there's just high standards for a game that had issues because of it last time.

There is nothing whatsoever "super picky" about not liking the art direction of Civ VI. Many people are turned off by it. I find the extremely cartoony choice baffling and infuriating. Mods won't be able to fix this, I'm afraid.

You're right, I'll try to be more open minded. Just that I know myself so well, I tried to look at those videos and force myself to focus but damn I keep looking at the bright green jolly rancher grass and the upside down ice cream cone pine trees...my imagination goes wild.

Sad part is that Civ 6 is turning out awesome and I'm loving it. I don't like to "settle" but my love for Civ might surpass my super pickiness.

After reading this, I hope the first full graphical mod will be a Candyland mod! That would be hilarious.

:rolleyes: There is nothing ugly about Civ 6. If you think Civ 6 is ugly then one has no idea about anything about visual language, gameplay values, priorities among other things.

The game is fine.

There is nothing childish about this game, there's just high standards for a game that had issues because of it last time.

Dang, someone got hurt real quick. My bad.

What standards and issues are you talking about? I started with Civ V...loved that game. In my eyes, it was close to perfect.

To answer the OP's question, I'm sure it will be possible, but a complete graphical overhaul would take quite some time, so don't expect a quality graphics mod anytime near launch. Think about it...everything from units to terrain to cities to the tech tree to the UI to the animation would need to change...it's all a package deal otherwise it would be a hideous amalgam. Honestly it would probably take a team of people at least several months of steady work to make it happen.

That being said, I can understand not liking the visual style, but honestly visual style alone shouldn't prevent you from playing something with excellent gameplay (here's hoping VI has exactly that). It's actually quite easy to grow used to a visual style and happens pretty rapidly.

It's a fine reason not to preorder, but I hope once gameplay videos come out - and the gameplay is good - the visual style alone wouldn't stop you from buying the game.

I suspect the graphics direction Firaxis chose for Civ 6 has everything to do with clarity. There is a lot of information on the screen in a Civ game, especially in the later game.

I admit I wasn't exactly happy with the Civ 6 graphics until I recently played a game of Beyond Earth. That graphic style comes across as a murky mess in comparison and, for perhaps the first time, I recognized how much of an effort I had to make to interpret what was on the screen (even when I had it at the highest graphic settings).

So, yeah, I understand how art style can be so important in a strategy game, but I for one prefer what I'm seeing in Civ 6.

You could consider playing in strategic mode (and I guess turn off leader screen animation or something). Not something most people would prefer to do, but it is an option.

Top Bottom