What are the oldest civilizations in Civ 5?

Nebuchadnezzar was part of the New Babylonians which was a long time after the Egyptians.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Nebuchadnezzar was part of the New Babylonians which was a long time after the Egyptians.

Why did they drop Hammurabi? He featured from the very beginning of Civ and was clearly one of the greatest leaders of his time (or at least after Shamshi-Addu died). It Nebby leader of Bab due to his link with the Jewish stories of the Iron Age?

Slightly offtopic, but I vote for:

Shamshi-Addu as Assyrian leader (arguably not Assyrian, but his reign was massive at the time, greates since Naram-Sin of Agade/Akkad and sometimes termed 'Assyrian interregnum' with regard to Mari)

Hammurabi as Babylonian leader (obvious choice).

Inclusion of Akkadians with Sharrukin/Sargon or Naram-Sin as leader, and (neo-)Sumerians under the Third Dynasty of Ur with either Ur-Nammu or Shulgi as leaders.

Hm. Is there a purely Bronze Age scenario or mod?

But... but Cthulhu was before all... :twitch:
Oh, dude.. I.. never meant to say that. I dreamt about a Great City last night.. with colossal columns and monumental halls. But all was empty, abandoned long ago. Some lost civilization of another age. Terrible and wonderful at once.

Why did they drop Hammurabi? He featured from the very beginning of Civ and was clearly one of the greatest leaders of his time (or at least after Shamshi-Addu died). It Nebby leader of Bab due to his link with the Jewish stories of the Iron Age?

Slightly offtopic, but I vote for:

Shamshi-Addu as Assyrian leader (arguably not Assyrian, but his reign was massive at the time, greates since Naram-Sin of Agade/Akkad and sometimes termed 'Assyrian interregnum' with regard to Mari)

Hammurabi as Babylonian leader (obvious choice).

Inclusion of Akkadians with Sharrukin/Sargon or Naram-Sin as leader, and (neo-)Sumerians under the Third Dynasty of Ur with either Ur-Nammu or Shulgi as leaders.

Hm. Is there a purely Bronze Age scenario or mod?

Nebuchadnezzar II is known for his Hanging Gardens and bringing the New Babylonians to great power. Also, Firaxis needs to put new leaders in now and then. They can't have Mao every time necessarily.

@topresch:

there was a Sea Peoples scenario a while age, but it was pretty unstable.

i too would love a bronze age mod/scenario (im currently writing my dissertation about bronze objects from the LB-IA transition in Philistia). i helped work on one for civ3, but have never really found anything that captures the age.

maybe after our degrees we should make one!

@topresch:

there was a Sea Peoples scenario a while age, but it was pretty unstable.

i too would love a bronze age mod/scenario (im currently writing my dissertation about bronze objects from the LB-IA transition in Philistia). i helped work on one for civ3, but have never really found anything that captures the age.

maybe after our degrees we should make one!

Haha, that would be great :) Archaeologist as well? We'd cover the region quite well with me writing about EBA-MBA in Syro-Mesopotamia and you focusing on LB-IA in the Levant.

Alexander is 356-323 BCE, so sort of in between those two clumps.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted.

A game on a small map with the five I mentioned, plus Alex, is as ancient as it gets in Civ 5. I think I'm gonna fire up a game like that, but leave out Alex, because he's Alex. I'll add an extra CS. I'll play Assyria because it's been awhile.

I thought it was established back when the korea dlc came out that they were the oldest civilization ever because they were the ones who traveled everywhere to found other civilizations. And had sex with bears or whatever it was. I forget, but there was a video about it.

If we're doing that them you would say Ethiopia is because that's where humanity migrated out of :D

This is a flame bait topic because nationalists have spent centuries working hard to convince people that their nation is older and more continuous than it really is. Going lby eader age, Egypt is the oldest in the game by far.

While India has architecture and religious art dating back to around 8000 BC, it wasn't unified as a single nation until some ruler did so around the same time as Alexander's era.

It was mostly barbarians and primitive tribes fighting one another prior to that, nothing close to the other civilizations before its unification.

Well technically Sumer is in the game in the Wonders of the Ancient World scenario, but I suppose that doesn't count . Of those within the main game though, I'm not personally sure, but people in this thread have convinced me that it's Egypt.

Egypt and Greece (Cycladic) : 3000 AD
Korea (Dangun) : 2300 AD
China (Xia) : 2200AD
Babylon and Assyria : 2000 AD
Ethiopia (Saba's Kingdom), India (Indus) : 1500 AD

You can put Rome in 2500AD if you think Etruscan are Rome history.

If you want the oldest civilization as it is describe in Civ V, it's Egypt. Next are China. Then Assyria.

Top Bottom