What are the steps for adding a government?

zbear

Chieftain
Adding it with Civ3Edit and setting its parameters, I know. Then what? Anything else, new files to be created, or other variables to adjust?

Here are some notes from my experience of adding 3 new govts:

- Add the government in Civ3edit
- Set the various parameters of your new govt to what you want
- Set the 'propaganda modifier' and 'resistance modifier' between your new govt and the existing ones.
- Go through the existing govt types and set the 'propaganda modifier' and 'resistance modifier' for those vs. your new govt
- Add a Civilopedia entry for it if you want one to Civilopedia.txt
- Go through each civilization and set the new govt as either the preferred or shunned govt as you want. Civs will automatically switch to the preferred govt as soon as it is available.
- If you want your new govt to be the default type or transition type, it can't require any techs

. . . ok what did I leave out?

In CivilizationIII\Art\Civilopedia\Icons you'll notice government icons - anarchy and despotism. These icons are referenced in pediaicons.txt. So find some nice icons that represent your gov and drop them in that folder, then write an entry for it in pediaicons. You can use the other GOVT_ entries as template.

Please see the enclosed zip for icons on Republic ('empire'), Democracy, Fascism and Robotopia. The democracy one is just a copy of the tech icons for the Democracy advance.

I had a problem getting the civilopedia to display icons for new no-tech-required governments (like anarchy and despotism). There was no problem getting the icon to display if a technology was required for the government, but I couldn't get an icon to display in the civilopedia if no tech was required. Has anyone been able to do this?

How to add a government as a needs-to-be-researched in the tech-tree? Like how Monarchy, Democracy, Communism, etc are?

Top Bottom