What are they mining in a mine?

Reg Pither

Warlord
I was playing yesterday and was building a standard mine on a hill and just wondered 'what exactly are they mining?' It's obviously not stone or marble or any of the other resources available in the game, so what might it be? All I can think of is granite, but how would they be able to do that before even discovering copper or iron to make proper tools? Does anyone else have any ideas about this vitally important piece of game information? :D

Low quality ore. Doesn't produce enough for weapons manufacturing, but allows for the small tools and bits and pieces that allow civilization to progress and be more productive.

I was playing yesterday and was building a standard mine on a hill and just wondered 'what exactly are they mining?' It's obviously not stone or marble or any of the other resources available in the game, so what might it be? All I can think of is granite, but how would they be able to do that before even discovering copper or iron to make proper tools? Does anyone else have any ideas about this vitally important piece of game information? :D
This is just a game, and not a perfectly realistic one :D But to answer your question seriously, I've always thought that there are supposedly small amounts of stone, marble and even metals in whatever's mined from "resourceless" hills. In many cases you clearly get access to certain raw materials even though they don't show on the map - the quantity and/or quality is just insufficient to provide the full benefit. There are many grey areas that indicate this. For example, when building The Great Wall you get "double production speed with stone" - which I interpret as "an abundant source of stone", because without any stone at all the Wall simply couldn't have been built. Another example is chopping - the second you invent Bronze Working you can chop forests, even if you don't have access to copper (the same is true for Iron Working and jungle chopping).

Btw, what are they farming from grasslands that don't have either wheat, corn or rice? Grass? For the human population to eat? :crazyeye:

Oddly, there are puffs of smoke coming from mines that evoke smelting, even where there are no metals on the tile. :confused:

But to answer your question… I dunno. My best guess is salt; it’s not a mineral listed in Civ4 and as labourers were once paid in salt, I can see salt indirectly providing production via the labourers it pays.

Or maybe gravel or clay to build things with?

Wikipedia suggests flint (would that be Civ4 Stone, though?) and hematite, in addition to the materials above and those already in Civ4 as specific resources.

Btw, what are they farming from grasslands that don't have either wheat, corn or rice? Grass? For the human population to eat? :crazyeye:

Potatoes!? :D

(or sorghum or teff perhaps - each is the main grain in parts of the world)

It's easy. They're mining Hammerinium and Productionite.

Zooming in reveals that Ceasar is farming salad. At first opportunity he always offer me some of that.

Just my 5 apples to add :D
Spoiler :
There are many plants/fruits/berries etc. to harvest but that can't be taken as real "resource" of food (in civ-terms). Almost any green tile in world can give 3F but just best teritories can get to 5-6. I talk about farming before Biology and scientific selection.
Same applies to mines.
There was time in Latvia too (short period, early 17th century) when they got iron for small tools from swamp (that was called "swamp iron"). Low quality for any weapon (few cannons were made for tests) but enough for every day farmers etc. use. In real world people got clean iron long time before they discovered Iron working (with melting ore and stuff). Iron that was fallen from skies.
So when talking about technologies and resources in civ IV terms, its about quantity and quality. Source of something that can last for years and can get best possible outcome with current technology.

They're data-mining obviously (adds 100% when constructing the Internet).

Vibranium and Adamantium (sorry, just saw the Cap movie :))

The thing is, they are not really mining stuff. Its just a way for the men to get a bit of spare time from the wifey:

wifey :"you going mining again???"
man :"yup"
wifey :"well... I've been talking to Lucilla in hut 5C, and well, the city is busy training a band of archers..."
man :"?"
wifey :"and we cant really figure out why all the men are digging a hole in the hill. Its not like you bring back any resources..."
man :"I think I heard Fred from 9B. I'm a bit late. Gotta go sweetie. Cya at sundown."

Oddly, there are puffs of smoke coming from mines that evoke smelting, even where there are no metals on the tile. :confused:

Prior to electrification, many mineshafts were ventilated by a controlled fire at the surface over a ventilation shaft. It would suck up stale air and create negative pressure to draw in fresh air though another shaft.

Lead, tin, mercury, unobtainium, limestone, pandemonium, etc.

Prior to electrification, many mineshafts were ventilated by a controlled fire at the surface over a ventilation shaft. It would suck up stale air and create negative pressure to draw in fresh air though another shaft.

I like that explanation... except that the little fires are getting carts full of rock dumped into them. :sad:

Top Bottom