What Events would you include?

Dknight99

Chieftain
For me, I would like to include some type of assassination event for Sun Ce, and somehow change leadership from Sun Ce to Sun Quan in the main game.

Or perhaps a conversation between Liu Bei and Cao Cao and how Liu Bei drops his cup at some point before Cao Cao declares war on him.

I really like the sound of the events, but the Sun Ce one would be pretty harsh if it was tied to a date or was random... or maybe the event could simply have a chance to remove 1 vitality from Ce's counter. Since he only has 4 vitality, two successful assination attempts and two defeats on the field of battle would be the end of him.
Or perhaps we could even have a chain event with the assination attempt followed by the execution of what's-that-Taoist's name, and then getting haunted to death. Each event would still retain a chance to die, but picking the wrong answers would increase that chance.

Or, yet another idea. Several leaders who were historically assinated could have various "assination" events, where you have to chose your reactions to the appearence of the assasin(s). There would be several copies of this event, each with the same choices, but with different right answers. Maybe even answer would have a different magnitude of injury, which also changes between the different events. Essentially it would be a game of luck to give you a chance to keep your leader alive when he should of been killed already.

Assinated: made into an ass. I've never played Halo. :lol:

That Taoist's name was Zuo Ci, you're referring to Cao Cao, right? Or are you referring to Sun Ce (who executed Gan Ji, also a Taoist)? I really like the answer correctly and die less (e.g. don't chop off his head). Don't bang the table too hard, you know.

In the year 200, Cao Cao engaged in the decisive Battle of Guandu with Yuan Shao along the shores of the Yellow River, leaving the capital and his base city Xuchang poorly guarded. Sun Ce is said to have then plotted to attack Xuchang under the banner of rescuing Emperor Xian, who was a figurehead held under Cao Cao's control. Preparations were underway for the military excursion when Sun Ce ran into three former servants of Xu Gong during a solo hunting trip. One of them managed to plant an arrow into Sun Ce's cheek before Sun Ce's men arrived and slew the assassins. Many differing accounts of Sun Ce's death exist (see below). One generally accepted scenario is that he died that same night.

Another possible scenario has Sun Ce living for quite some time. The physician told Sun Ce to rest still for a hundred days to allow the wound to heal, but Sun Ce looked into the mirror one day and, seeing his scar, became so enraged that he slammed his table. The large movement caused the wound to break and he died in the same night.

Doh! I can't believe I mistyped assasinated that many time :blush:
just goes to show I shouldn't ever type in a hurry, I always drop the middle of my words. (ex. remeber instead of remember)

I was thinking Gan Ji I suppose, though a "Taoist performing miracles" event could be appropriate for both.

I have an idea. I would like to give the power of event design (and implementation) to players who are interested. If anyone wants to try their hand in design and implement some event, I'll write up a guide about it. First is random event, then if needed, historical event.

About required skill: random event modding will require editing XML, and if your design is unique enough, you'll need a little Python. I'll cover that in the guide.

If there's people who want to do it, I'll write a guide right away, if not, I'll write the guide in a couple of weeks.:D

i do know the story of HOTK and thus could make a few historical event,will be a pleasure to help out.Plz do give me the guide.

It would definitely be a pleasure to help out with random events. Even if I don't have to skills to make a unique historical event, it would be nice to eventually replace the generic BtS events with more thematic ones!

I have modified solver's event modding guide and put it in our new very simple website. You can view the guide here.

Currently the xml ability for event modding in HoTK is exactly the same as BTS. Feel free to point out if somewhere in the guide is not clear enough. This is not final version, as I plan to add hero related stuff to event xml, but it's more than enough to get started creating great event for HoTK.

If events are implemented in the game in a historical manner I would hope they are an option that can be turned on or off as desired. Personally I dislike the idea of being forced into historically accurate events when we are not playing a historically accurate game.

Yes, Sun Ce was assassinated in real life... but actually forcing this event to occur each game (or making it very likely that Sun Ce will have it occur) is rather boring and unrealistic (to the game's story & circumstances, of course). In a game where we are creating a historically different outcome, why would an event tied to the situation that occured in reality, and likely didn't occur in the game, come to pass?

Such events would force the game down a specific path, when the whole point is to recreate history. If Sun Ce is set to die at the same time (or near enough) each game, then why not prevent any of the minor factions from capturing cities from Warlords like Cao Cao? That's what happened after all.

Instead I would propose that you have random events based on what is going on in the world. Certain heroes have certain traits, this could be used in conjunction with other factors to generate some cool events that could logically take place.

If Faction A is at war with Faction B for a period of time, there is an increasing chance that a hero from Faction A (or a close ally of Faction A) will attempt an assassination of a hero (or the Leader??) of Faction B.
You could have modifers such as, the longer the war lasts the more chance of occuring.
The more involved heroes are the more chance they will attempt the assassination (or be assassinated, if they are successfully killing enemy units!).
Certain heroes that, in real life, were known for attempting assassinations (or successfully achieving them) will have a greater chance of making the attempt.

You could then have other events, such as Heroes betraying their nation if the war is going badly and killing (or attempting to kill) a former ally in the process of switching sides. Heroes renowned for this may be more likely to do so (and be more successful at killing someone in the process - example being Lu Bu).
So if a war is going badly they are more likely to betray (the worse the kill ratio between Faction A & Faction B toward eachother - including captured cities, hero kills etc).
Or if their current Faction is a sinking ship (the more cities lost in x turns the greater the chance) they might jump ship.

So rather than being set events that only occur between set characters, or set factions, at set times etc, make them random but related to what is currently occuring. It would give some real depth to the story that is unfolding in your game.

Just a few thoughts.

A system like Europa Universalis II (where you can choose among options, e.g. whether to expel the Jews when you play as Aragon/Castille) with consequences with each choice would be good. So for example, you can have a preset coup by Sima Yi which you could prevent if you are willing to pay enough gold, or you can let him take over with better government but some unrest in cities for a certain number of turns. Or when Zuo Ci pays a visit to Cao Cao he can either 1. cut off his head (or try to) and boost troop strength a lot, with some risk of dying of a headache, or 2. Let him be and not risk dying a premature death, or 3. Pay him into spreading Religion in some of your cities for free (good if you have the Essential Art of Peace)

Random situational events are also welcome, gives the minor factions some variety. I wouldn't want Guan Yu to desert though even if Liu Bei is down to 1 city. :lol:

@MooFreaky

Your event design has a very noble goal. If we could do that in the future it would be marvelous. It's likely that you have played the latest patch F, which included the only 'historical event' right now: hero natural death. That event needs some working, for example, Sun Ce did not actually died naturally, so he should not die that early in the Mod.

I'm liking the natural hero death, but I have a few questions.
First of all, is the chance of death totally random? Or was it simply very bad luck that both Lu Bu and Gao Shun died on the same turn in 199AD (that really put me in a bind there!).
And secondly, do heroes desert your ruler after the throne has been left empty? I ask this because after I lost Lu Bu and Gao Shun, both Zhang Liao and my random hero deserted me for Cao Cao and Kong Rong respectively. As a result, I have 2 cities and no heroes. Is this supposed to work this way? It wouldn't of been very bad in the previous versions, but since now the number of heroes you have doesn't change the random hero point requirement, I'm a loooong ways away from any officer.

I think we need to change from "historical" death to "natural" death, using their approximate birth dates as guides, for example an average lifespan of 50, and if you get seriously wounded you get 5 or even 10 years taken off (just like smoking). Of course, there should be events that raise the probability of people dying much quicker (Sun Ce for example) but you should be able to overcome them with the right choices.

I think we need to change from "historical" death to "natural" death, using their approximate birth dates as guides, for example an average lifespan of 50, and if you get seriously wounded you get 5 or even 10 years taken off (just like smoking). Of course, there should be events that raise the probability of people dying much quicker (Sun Ce for example) but you should be able to overcome them with the right choices.

I completely agree. It seems illogical when a hero dies at the historical time, when that involves an assassination or execution, when the hero has avoided defeat. As for the natural lifespan, I know as a player, I would like to see an estimated time left (would of course have some inaccuracy due to uncertainties of health, but would allow a player to see if they could wait out a dangerous hero an enemy controls) for a hero/player.

@Generalstuff

All we need to do is display the hero's age somewhere so that players can estimate their remaining life on the (game) world. By the way, in the latest beta heroes who are executed or assassinated will no longer die at historical time.

So, how you determine when a hero that was killed would die in the mod? Is there a hidden age counter for all the heroes now?

Also, when you capture and hire the leader of a faction, he's still the leader of his previous faction. Perhaps there can be a cool mechanic that causes a few of their cities to flip to you when he surrenders, and then promotes a new leader from the ranks? It's really weird using Zhang Yan to war against his own faction, while he's still technically the leader of it.

@Kenjister

Right now hero's who died of unnatural reasons in history would die around 60.

Yes, I know it would be funny to see a hero leader fighting his own faction. It's kind of strange, since currently a hero with 100 loyalty to his old faction will never surrender. Since all leader heroes have 100 loyalty to his own faction, they should never surrender.

60? That sounds about right I suppose... may I ask how you determined the hero's age? I can't seem to find the value in CIV4HeroInfo, and it would be nice to see what you set for some heroes' age.

I guess you have a bug on your hands then, since I definitely had Zhang Yan surrender to me.

Top Bottom