What game speed is optimal now?

Glassmage

The Desert Flame
So I fired up a Prince game as Theodora on Archipeolo and go around trying to convert other people. It took me a while to be the world's dominant religion because I was still trying to convert near the end of Industrial era. Is religion focused games better with epic speed now because you can move units more than in standard?

So I fired up a Prince game as Theodora on Archipeolo and go around trying to convert other people. It took me a while to be the world's dominant religion because I was still trying to convert near the end of Industrial era. Is religion focused games better with epic speed now because you can move units more than in standard?

Actually, this is pretty realistic. You just need to spam missionaries.

What is the real benefit of having your religion all over the place other than the diplomatic boost? I know its nice to have one since it does provide benefits but giving it to other civs just feels like you are doing them a favor.

There are some founder beliefs that give bonuses based on the number of followers. By expanding your religion extensively beyond your borders you greatly increase those bonuses. In my first G&K game, I ended up taking Tithe, which gives you 1gpt for every 4 or 5 followers you have. With a bit of effort this can end up being a fairly significant amount of income. There are a handful of others in a similar vein though I do not recall what they are off hand.

Some beliefs will also give you bonuses for fighting near a city of your religion, regardless of whose city it is, and so on. I feel such bonuses are paired well with the happiness beliefs in particular, because that one area in which the player is almost always behind the AI. They will see little benefit in the extra happiness, and you will very much enjoy both that and their gold.

The speed of conversion can vary greatly based on map type, map size, and the religious beliefs you chose; some beliefs allow you to get cheaper missionaries, quicker Great Prophets, or to have religion spread on its own faster and farther than normal. It can also vary depending on if an enemy AI is playing religiously itself.

I'd expect conversion to be easy on Pangea, and, in a game I just finished, I had almost all three other Civs on a Standard-size map (I like a little extra room, so I play standard map size and take out a few civs and CSs) following my religion by 1000 AD.

If the enemy AI is playing religiously-based strategy, expect it to be harder to convert. On the other hand, if they all go for war-mongering, they'll sometimes be a cake-walk. In the same game I already mentioned, Greece didn't found it's Pantheon belief until fairly late, around 0 AD. And that was a Standard speed game.

In short, it all depends.

I have been surprised by the number of Civs that haven't founded a Pantheon until the Medieval Era or even the Renaissance Era. Meanwhile, I have taken over almost the entire continent with my Religion.

Top Bottom