What if?

CivLuvah

Deity
What would happen if the unity wasn't seperating but still they landed on Chiron (or Planet or whatever)?

They would have separated sooner or later, either amicably (unlikely) or by means of a coup/civil war (very likely).

I never read the whole story, only the introduction, so I can't say I know which leaders were most in favour of the UN mission.

Obvious loyalists:
Capt Garland (leader)
Pravin Lal

Likely loyalists:
Deirdre Sky
Prokhor Zakharov

Undecided:
Yang
Morgan
Miriam Godwinson

Separatists:
Corazon Santiago

Like I said, I've only read short excerpts, so I probably have got the allegiances down wrong.

They would have separated sooner or later, either amicably (unlikely) or by means of a coup/civil war (very likely).

I never read the whole story, only the introduction, so I can't say I know which leaders were most in favour of the UN mission.

Obvious loyalists:
Capt Garland (leader)
Pravin Lal

Likely loyalists:
Deirdre Sky
Prokhor Zakharov

Undecided:
Yang
Morgan
Miriam Godwinson

Separatists:
Corazon Santiago

Like I said, I've only read short excerpts, so I probably have got the allegiances down wrong.

No what I mean is that what happens when the Unity never ever seperated in their time on Chiron (or Planet or Whatever) & never ever seperated sooner or later.

No what I mean is that what happens when the Unity never ever seperated in their time on Chiron (or Planet or Whatever) & never ever seperated sooner or later.

Ok. In that case, I'd reckon they'd try contacting Earth as soon as they have the technology to do so -- just to let them know the mission has been successful up to that point. I know when you beat the game, you're told Earth isn't responding. Perhaps if the Unity tries contacting Earth soon after planetfall they'd get a response.

What would have happened with Planet is interesting (I've no ideas on this one).

And looking far, far into the future, it's likely the descendants of the Unity will send a probe back to Earth just to see what happened. Heh, perhaps the abanonded Earth was colonised by Caretakers and Progenitors and now it's up to the humans to reclaim it. :D

What d'you think would have happened?

Ok. In that case, I'd reckon they'd try contacting Earth as soon as they have the technology to do so -- just to let them know the mission has been successful up to that point. I know when you beat the game, you're told Earth isn't responding. Perhaps if the Unity tries contacting Earth soon after planetfall they'd get a response.

What would have happened with Planet is interesting (I've no ideas on this one).

And looking far, far into the future, it's likely the descendants of the Unity will send a probe back to Earth just to see what happened. Heh, perhaps the abanonded Earth was colonised by Caretakers and Progenitors and now it's up to the humans to reclaim it. :D

What d'you think would have happened?

What's planetfall?

Ascent to Transcendence

Yang is further enticed to this deal by technology trade that provides him with more thought control abilities. Of course this technology had to be acquired directly from Zhakarov through back door channels. The Hive closes its doors to all outsiders two days before the first strike against the Fascist territories. They scramble their elite troops to meet the fanatic shock troops of the UN. Initial combat was fierce and casualties massive for both sides.

The ferocity of the attack eliminated fascist strategic offensive capability for several months. This was long enough for Zhakarov's new military technology to come online and provide a decisive edge in the air war. Now worn down by constant bombing, the fascist states slowly lost the war of attrition. A battered but triumphant believer army slaughtered and converted the defeated bases.

As anticipated by the architects of the campaign, the believers were greatly weakened by the intensity of the war. They graciously took their sovereign land and focused on the construction of cathedrals and religious schools. Militant elements of the holy states diminished quickly in the years of peace that followed. Yang, now without major security concerns, spread throughout his allotted territories. For the moment the mind-worms were enough to occupy most of his time.

Over the following decades the technologists and empaths who had provided the basis for the UN started to become more secluded. Large facilities secretly developed in the Monsoon Jungle for massive experiments involving the mind-worms and advanced technology. As Planet started to awaken, the intensity of mind-worm attacks rose significantly. After New Hague was destroyed by a swarm of mind-locusts the severity of the problem became apparent.

Over the decades the technology/empath cabal had been hording more and more of its research in its secret facilities through the Monsoon Jungle and in the international waters. The other states had begun to achieve military technology parity during this time. In the Holy states a movement emerged claiming the mind-worm risings were connected with the continued existence of non-believers in the Hive and the UN. Crusaders once again rose for conquest of a holy land.

When the war started the Hive decided it was time to turn on the UN. If allowed to absorb the UN, the believers would be too strong to defeat. Yang was safe within his fortress bases from mind-worms, but not the modern weapons technology that would likely be looted from the UN. As one could predict, the UN fared very poorly against the combined forces. The Cabal finally turned its back completely in its former UN patrons. They were preoccupied with another concern at the moment.

The Cabal had discovered that the mind-worm risings were due to the manifesting consciousness of planet. Work on the Voice of the Planet continued throughout the war. After Lal was executed, the Hive and Believers warred on each other. They ignored the secret complexes and sea bases that contained the Cabal. Finally the voice was completed and negotiations began with planet. Deidre and Zhakarov both agreed it was time that humanity move to something greater.

Soon both the Hive and the Believers learned to fear a planet that was sentient. Combing the intelligence of all the parts, the entire fungus network, and the hybrid armies of the Cabal; the Soldiers of Chiron marched forward and decimated all foes. After a quick but extremely violent culling, all those who did not join Chiron were dead.

You know what you're post is too long. And, as I said in one of the previous posts...

Ahhhh, you meant the mission and not just the ship. Well to be honest that is a very boring end to the saga considering how polarized the crew already was. Probably internal dissension would prevent humanity from surviving the planet-pruning.

Anyway, I am moving the looooooooooong posts elsewhere.

Top Bottom