What is everyone's education? (with poll this time)

What is your highest level of education?

• Total voters
I clicked Masters but looking through these posts its clear I was on a different edycational system. I have 2 Masters degrees but each only took me 4 years to complete so they probably aren't as intense as the US version.

I have some college though I've been playing civilization since high school. I don't know how many tests i did terrible on because I was playing CivIII.

You are indeed quite well informed.

I will just note that IIRC DEUG, DUT, DESS & DEA don't exist anymore. It's either licence (3 years) or master (5 years). That is at least how they advertise in universities at least.

For myself, I graduate from a Grande Ecole as an engineer (5 years of study). So I'm a Bachelor or a Master? Btw engineering studies are always 5 years of Uni in France.

About doctorate, you HAVE to do 3 years after our Master (5 years) so it takes in total 8 years for a French student to become a doctor. I don't really know about this US counter part of PhD, but from I've read or learnt, it seems a bit different since you can start early and/or finish latter.

Diplôme d'Ingénieur is considered comparable to a Bachelor (honours) in the UK system. When also conferring the Grade de Master (from 1999 onwards), this award can be considered comparable to Master's degree, which is what I think you have after 5 years, you should check what the wording is on your certificate as the years can depend on how slow someone studied. (To make it more complicated, in the UK there is a difference between a Bachelor (standard) and a Bachelor (honours). The honours word in the US tends to confer a high graduation grade, but in the UK it means extra coursework, typically a research dissertation, has been done, and necessary to go on to a master.)

In all this it is important to note that the amount of years is arbitrary, the mount of study credits given per year can be different from country to country and even school to school. There are guides for rough estimations, but many titles are on the grey line and the hard work of credit accounting needs to be done, as is the case of a Maitrise, a Dutch doctorandus (either a Master or a Bachelor (honours) depending if you have an american or a brit doing the counting), the German Diplom (which can be a uni DIplom for Master or a FH Diplom for Bachelor, and many others.

Now you know why I have this signiature below:

I clicked doctorate, but I'm not sure thats the right choice, as am running by the UK system here. I have a double bachelorate (mbbs) that gives me the title of doctor, but its not a doctorate. I also have post-university qualifications in various colleges.

I have no idea where that places me by American definitions.

In all countries a mbbs makes your a doctor, but a doctor of medicine (MD). Medicine is the only subject with the exception. Most MD's then go on to do many post-uni certs necessary for specialization which takes years after. There are actually few MD's I have seen bothering to do a doctorate to get the title Doctor in XX (PhD, EdD, DBA, SciD etc) because of all the other necessary post-uni certs necessary to work in their specialization. Only the researchers tend to do that. My sister is an oncologist with 6 or 7 years extra study after her equivalent of mbbs, but has no interest in a PhD. My dad is also an MD and worked for WHO: one day on a panel of a dozen international professionals in public health,all with the Dr. infront of their name, someone asked out of curiosity who actually had done a PhD. One guy razed his hand: the economist.

Basically if you wanted to have Dr. in front of your name and you didn't study medicine, you have to do a doctorate which can take between 2.5 and 7000 years after a Master, depending on the subject and your patience.

Reluctantly, or if its the internet, perjoratively.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I clicked Masters but looking through these posts its clear I was on a different edycational system. I have 2 Masters degrees but each only took me 4 years to complete so they probably aren't as intense as the US version.

what country are you from? What is the title in your own language?

The amount of years doesn't tell too much: highschool ends at different stages in different countries. for example, if you did the IB system in highschool you can skip almost a full first year of univeristy in USA, but not in Europe. That is why Bachelor degrees can sometimes take 4 years, sometimes 3 years. The Master after that can take between 1 years and 3 years depending on the type (MPhil, MA, MSc, MEng, etc) and subject. Doing two simultaneously may or may not double the time, depending on the amount of shared modules and the uni's regulations on credit sharing.

I'm currently a student undertaking a double bachelors (LLB/BInSt in the local parlance). It's curious that MD does give you the title of 'doctor' but JD doesn't. And it's equally curious that the US insists on a JD when it's pretty much equivalent to an LLB, just not taken concurrently with the other degree.

I have a cousin who's on his way to a masters. But it's an MA from Oxford, so I think that's kinda cheating.

I guess the answers here are interesting enough, though I don't think it's possible to draw any conclusions from them in relation to the education levels of Civ5 players.

Diplôme d'Ingénieur is considered comparable to a Bachelor (honours) in the UK system. When also conferring the Grade de Master (from 1999 onwards), this award can be considered comparable to Master's degree, which is what I think you have after 5 years, you should check what the wording is on your certificate as the years can depend on how slow someone studied. (To make it more complicated, in the UK there is a difference between a Bachelor (standard) and a Bachelor (honours). The honours word in the US tends to confer a high graduation grade, but in the UK it means extra coursework, typically a research dissertation, has been done, and necessary to go on to a master.)

Tx for explanations.

I guess the answers here are interesting enough, though I don't think it's possible to draw any conclusions from them in relation to the education levels of Civ5 players.
I'm pretty sure on the current poll we won't find many non-higher graduates.
But the reason is more that being active on a forum is a strong indicator bias. I still have a feeling that average CIV player base is quite different from, for ex, a COD game. But it's not something you can prove from a Civfanatic poll I'm afraid ;)

I'm pretty sure on the current poll we won't find many non-higher graduates.
But the reason is more that being active on a forum is a strong indicator bias. I still have a feeling that average CIV player base is quite different from, for ex, a COD game. But it's not something you can prove from a Civfanatic poll I'm afraid

No. This poll will only mean that most people who frequent CivV General Discussion have some college education. This poll cannot be used, in any way, as a sample of Civilization V players in general.

The poll is public and optional. In that circumstance, people with college educations are more likely to admit they have them than somebody who dropped out of high school (not that I'm saying the latter is good or bad, but some people are more hesitant to admit it).

The poll also doesn't acknowledge that not everybody playing a E-10 or T-rated game will be 18 or over. I started playing Civilization IV in middle school.

Third, the poll only samples people in Civilization V General Discussion.

The poll really doesn't do anything for anybody. It will be skewed toward saying that CivV GD is highly educated because it lacks high school or below options. Even if it had those options, the poll is skewed to CivV General Discussion and not the Civilization V playerbase as a whole because most CivV players probably aren't posting here. If they are, we have no way to actually prove they are without going a lot deeper in the numbers than the question warrants.

I still have a feeling that average CIV player base is quite different from, for ex, a COD game.

This does not require a poll though. Nobody questioned that the playerbase for a FPS title would be very different from the playerbase of a turn-based strategy game.

The poll really doesn't do anything for anybody.

Quite right, I think that anyone with a Bachelor or higher should understand the statistical significance in any poll on civfanatics is suspect. But really, does anyone here think anything we discuss about ourselves in a forum is at all related to reality anyway? :rolleyes: It's a freakin internet forum discussion, not an article being submitted to the International Journal of Gaming and Computer-Mediated Simulations. :hammer2:

However, the amount of people who did give good reasons why the poll is useless for any conclusive argument means that there do seem to be some graduates here who have not forgotten their statistics methodology. :hatsoff:

Still, it's fun to see highschoolers or those who have opted to educate themselves still engage.

This does not require a poll though. Nobody questioned that the playerbase for a FPS title would be very different from the playerbase of a turn-based strategy game.

But I thought it was the main question here :confused:
What you/I said is an assumption so far, gathered from personnal experience.

Idealisticly, a sampled poll among all person owning CIV5 can IMHO be the only way to confirm/infirm what kind of population, education wise, is playing this game.

Quite right, I think that anyone with a Bachelor or higher should understand the statistical significance in any poll on civfanatics is suspect. But really, does anyone here think anything we discuss about ourselves in a forum is at all related to reality anyway? :rolleyes: It's a freakin internet forum discussion, not an article being submitted to the International Journal of Gaming and Computer-Mediated Simulations. :hammer2:

Then what is the point besides having a circlejerk where we all pat each other on the back because of how smart we are?

No, really. I'm trying to figure out the actual point of the poll, and I am failing, and I am sorry. See, when I read the OP and following post, I thought this

I'm predicting that most civ5 players will have some college....

was the point. Or maybe that

Another thread about civ players being smart (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=521863) got me thinking about the average education level of civ5 players.

was the point.

So is the point of the poll to figure out the average education level of CivV players? If so, the poll fails. Is the point to figure out the average education level of CivV GDers? Maybe it would work, if not for the poor sampling method in which individual results are public and the poll doesn't acknowledge that a lot of middle schoolers and high schoolers could be playing the game.

So really, I don't see what purpose this thread serves the other one didn't other than to satisfy GD's need for polls every other day.

Is the point to discuss our educational backgrounds? Then clearly this thread belongs in OT.

What you/I said is an assumption so far, gathered from personnal experience.

I wasn't making assumption of the education average Call of Duty player. I was merely saying that a difference of genre will attract different kinds of players, and that there will be differences in makeup just because of that. If the difference didn't result in different playerbases, then most of us should be Call of Duty players, and Civilization V should be even higher in the steam stats.

I wasn't making assumption of the education average Call of Duty player. I was merely saying that a difference of genre will attract different kinds of players, and that there will be differences in makeup just because of that. If the difference didn't result in different playerbases, then most of us should be Call of Duty players, and Civilization V should be even higher in the steam stats.

Not wanted to sound offensive, but this part is in my book an assumption. As long as there is no evidence proven, I would not consider that true.

Don't get me wrong, if I had to chose I will definitely think you are right about the CIV vs COD population matter. But this is only based my personnal and limitied experience. I don't know of anything thing backing that state yet.

Who knows, maybe a bilateral study would show us that the 2 population are actually more alike than suggested :p

The only downside is that not everyone here is familiar with US education system. I've done 5 years of Uni, I think that makes me a Master's degree right?

I know that for example Doctorate in France is completly different than the US counterpart.

Same problem. Here in The Netherlands we have a different education system. Basically we start with basischool(probably primary school) for 8 years. After that we have middelbare school, which has various levels, which have various durations, from 6 years to 4 years. When we finish that, some of us go to university, while some of us don't. I haven't finished middelbare school yet(don't judge me because I'm young)

The questions that keep me up at night:

Does education = intelligence?
What is the average person's education?
How do we compare different educational systems?

I know some people who have college educations that aren't too bright. When I was in college, one of the guys in the room next to me was a football player. We were all sitting around playing Nintendo (yes, I'm that old). He lost, and, in frustration, tried to pick up a giant fish tank and throw it out the window. Even for a football player, he wasn't big enough to pull off that feat.

Also, I know plenty of people who are highly intelligent, but never went to college. Some couldn't afford it, some got jobs straight out of High School and didn't feel the need to spend money to further their education when they already had a career going.

In fact, the person who wrote my quote below was a high school dropout yet has earned the nickname "the professor." And I'm sure many of us have seen the movie Good Will Hunting.

The questions that keep me up at night:

Does education = intelligence?
What is the average person's education?
How do we compare different educational systems?

Education is a qualification and a certification. If you have a degree that doesn't actually qualify or certify you to do anything, than chances are it is a useless degree. There are some rule breakers that are proven to raise your IQ like philosophy and religion... but finding a humanity that doesn't give you a qualification for an existing job is rather hard.

Most university graduates are actually forced to go to community college post graduation to get the skills they need.

I myself am a multi-trade journeyman. I did two years of university. A friend of mine told me about his promotion and how he was now making $120,000 a year after doing a one year program at a community college. So I saw the writing on the wall, left university, entered trade school and started in the trades.

I still do one course from distance education every year (it's a tax write off) as well as 20-25 safety and training courses every year to upgrade my existing skills. I read a book a week and will often scour Reddit's /r/science for any interesting studies to look for.

Having said all of that I was play Civilization when I was 12. I consider myself far more well read than I was when I was 12. My ability to play the game hasn't changed one bit.

Top Bottom