What is that violet-white civ on the mini map down there?

I don't believe that this purple is Venice.
I more in agreement with the new NAtive American. Apache or Sioux...

In the above the left is the colour's from Venice's flag from wikipedia, the right is from the screenshot. Below is the same for the Iroquois (with the Iroquois flag colours on the left)

Notice how it's a perfect match for Venice, but not for the Iroquois.

I don't believe that this purple is Venice.
I more in agreement with the new NAtive American. Apache or Sioux...

As has been stated, the Sioux have nearly 0 connection to the color purple. It would make no sense at all for purple to be connected to the Sioux. And the Apache are already eliminated by an alphabetical listing of the unknown civ range we have

Its odds on to be Venice at the minute

Why is that a problem at all? Just because they didn't get the colours from wikipedia every time before doesn't change what they've done this time. We already know they don't just go straight to the flag when coming up with colours for civs, otherwise every civ would just have their flag's colours. In this case however we have a clear example where we have a very specific pair of colours that come exactly off a source that we have found. The point isn't that they do this every time, whether they've even done this before is entirely irrelevant, what is important is the fact that it's an exact match, which is something that has lottery winning odds unless they either used the flag as a source for the colours.

I know this is entirely irrelevant, but here's some fun:

Another version of the Greek flag floating about:

Colour comparison with Greece in the game.

You do know that neither is an exact match right. They are both really close but slightly out.

You do know that neither is an exact match right. They are both really close but slightly out.

The difference is within compression error. Unless we have a chance to get images in a lossless format we can't expect a 100% match. Even then, it depends of the quality of the source for the colour they used. For comparison:

These are both Rome's main colour, from the same screenshot, taken from an image from Google image search. We are lucky enough to have a pretty good source image for the purple civ though, although there is still going to be some compression error.

So many damn flags in this thread. Like I said before we won't really know for sure until it's announced. This purple theory was kind of silly at first but I commend Menzies persistence on the issue.

My point being you really shouldn't throw around the word "exact" and bold it if in fact they aren't exact (and these are ever so slightly different on the purple and a couple of gradients on the white. Especially when there are lots of flags floating around the net with lots of variation. The colours are certainly close to that one on wikipedia and I agree it's a compelling piece of circumstantial evidence but most of the flags dont have the purple and white elements.

I agree that Venice seems the most likely candidate for the mystery civ based on what we can find and the colours were probably picked up off of that sort of representation of historical Venetian flags but it's hardly a stone cold lock.

I also commend the attention to detail by Menzies but it's easy for us to overlook minor details and I've fallen for enough theories that amounted to little over the years that I'm just gonna wait this one out

I just remember how so many people were 99% sure Italy was in and I don't want to feel too attached to Venice only to be let down

Just my 2 cents on the matter of the increasingly probable inclusion of Venice. Aside from the pretty compelling color sample thing, I think the minimap shows us another evidence that suports the idea that that is indeed Venice. I believed from the begining that Venice as a Civ would have to feature some radical and unique game mechanic in the sense of not being able to found other cities, only conquer them or aquire them in some unseen way. Notice that the city is on the cost and it has massive borders. The other purple city in the same landmass looks to me to have been originally a moroccan city, due to the spacing ang location, while the third purple city on the island above was most likely previously a city-state. Also, its hard to think "Venice" would take so long to expand, imagining it could, to the point it would allow the Inca to settle a city where it did, so close to its borders by the south, on another continent no less, at around the Industrial Era. It's weak evidence, I know, but worth noticing nonetheless.

@zephyrtr: I'd assume the designers would have headed to Google rather than Wikipedia.

Left is In-game, right is one of the top Google results for the flag. Almost an exact match, with a margin of error for compression.

@seancolorado: Wasn't almost all the evidence applicable for both civs? With the sole exception being the achievement thing?

I also commend the attention to detail by Menzies but it's easy for us to overlook minor details and I've fallen for enough theories that amounted to little over the years that I'm just gonna wait this one out

I just remember how so many people were 99% sure Italy was in and I don't want to feel too attached to Venice only to be let down

I think most of us were betting on Italy or Venice, but thinking the former was more likely simply because it just sounded more likely, so this isn't much a change - if anything, thinking Venice is in is a modified version of thinking Italy is in.

In addition to Menzies' evidence presented so far, there's also the fact that there are very few other possibilities if you believe the alphabet. Out of the others, only Ukraine has anything of a chance, and I don't think it has anywhere near the chance Venice does.

Why do some people seem to be aggressively against Venice and the colour theory? There are thousands of possible combinations, and you think that devs picked one that happens to be an EXACT match with a civ that many had already believed would be included (and fits the CS theory)? Even weirder is that most of the arguments against this theory are poorly thought out and don't weaken the theory.

The thing is people seemed to automatically assume Italy was in, I, and Menzies have been positive it's Venice that is in and not Italy like everyone else said.

Despite my distaste for Eurocentrism in the civ series (I'm one of those people who think Austra, the Huns, and Sweden should've never been in), if Venice gets in with Enrico Dandolo, I'd be all for that. Blind backstabbing 1010351035 year old evil mastermind ftw - imagine him staring creepily into space while plotting your downfall!

Despite my distaste for Eurocentrism in the civ series (I'm one of those people who think Austra, the Huns, and Sweden should've never been in), if Venice gets in with Enrico Dandolo, I'd be all for that. Blind backstabbing 1010351035 year old evil mastermind ftw - imagine him staring creepily into space while plotting your downfall!

Enrico Dandolo would be great. He could be a truly menacing leader to play against. One should always watch his back when the old grumpy blind guy in doge clothing and armour offers you a declaration of friendship.

Spoiler :

I only have paint I can't afford these programs. If the person making the wikipedia graphic used the same program as the civ designer (like photoshop - not impossible, in fact likely) and they both clicked on purple, that explains everything.

I just want you to admit that this isn't impossible, you are making a dangerous assumption that they clicked randomly in a color pallete for that venitian flag. It has been shown that the original was blue earlier in this thread - clearly they didn't go for accuracy.

maybe... just clicked on that preset purpley periwinkle

Try GIMP: gimp.org (it is like Photoshop, but it is free (though GIMP has fewer features than Photoshop))

Top Bottom