What is your favourite thing about the Civ franchise

Leadix

Chieftain
As a relative newbie to this website and the Civ franchise as a whole, I always did wonder why this game kept bringing me back even if I was burnt out on it? This eventually turned into, why do people come back? So, who better to ask then, the people. So what is your favourite thing about the Civ series? Mines probably the modding scene, gives new depth to the game.

I don't know if I could nail it to just one thing. I've been playing since Civ 2, and the franchise just has the "it factor", a combination of traits that combine to form the "one more turn" mentality.

The games combine my love of history, and my love of strategy games with epic, sweeping addictive gameplay.

Sid Meier managed to bottle lightning with the very first game, and the series has built upon that foundation with each successive game. I think it helps that we've only had 6 iterations in 25 years, it means each game is significantly different from its predecessor. Compare with the annual updates from EA Sports for their franchises for example...

Here's my tupence worth; both Leadix (welcome to your gaming addiction !), and Mount Suribachi have it correctly :

Sid Meier DID bottle lighting, and managed to garner that elusive "IT FACTOR" into the Civ series; I came into Civ with CivV, and my gaming budget dropped to zero 2 1/2 years ago !!

The game continues to surprise me, doesn't repete itself, has a wide choice of maps, Civs, mods, and difficulties; and you can mix and match them all as you choose .

What's NOT to like ?

The concept of growing and managing a civilization from ancient times and forward is like a honeypot to me. There is much diversity to do this as you can play maps that are modeled after planet earth, or you can play random maps (my favorite are the fractal maps), there are plenty civilizations to choose with hundreds more thanks to mods (I've been interested in a pokemon civ game lately, after I found various pokemon themed civilizations. I would like to do a game playing as Wigglytuff's guild against the other regions, sinnoh, johto, kanto, etc. Any other poke'fans out there?), unique abilities and unique units give you the option to totally act (role-play) how that civilization you play theoretically would have behaved, you can just roll everything randomly (my favorite thing to do) and just roll with the punches of what was randomly rolled and what happens as the game goes.

It is pretty fun to compare the games you play to actual history. I am playing as Maya in my current game and I built machu pichu (not mayan... right?) in the city chichen itza, Ahmad build the chichen itza wonder in one of his cities, Poland got steamrolled by Songhai (this is the first time I have ever seen songhai actually do the domination, I usually see songhai get conquered) The development of Greece was set back thousands of years since they settled so close to my borders and compelled me to initiate a war (greece vs maya?). Things like this are very fun. =D

different victory conditions..

In other strategy games there is only one victory : conquest defeat youre enemey forces or bases.. Kind of boring..

In civ 5 you can win different ways

I`m sure others have said the same, but it`s creating a whole civilisation under YOUR leadership. Dealing with the pros and cons and seeing just how well you can do. And it`s always trying to reach for that next city expnasion or winning that war or creating a diplomatic peace with the whole world. I also really enjoy diplomatic dealings with realistic leaders and Civ 5 has the mostly best ones so far, but not as many as Civ4.

That`s why I prefer games like this to be realistic, rather than going down the cartoony route or `streamlined` route. I think removing ship transports and random incidents was a mistake for example.

It's hard to decide whether the premise, growing a civilization from ancient times to the future, or the quality, much variety of player choice, wins as "my favorite thing". I don't think the game would be what it is without both of those things. So I have to choose both.

The one more turn factor.
and with BnW, you can have that game that really go to the end of the turns without feeling bored.

Nukes of course.

I'm new to the series, started in Civ IV and later moved to 5.

What i like, I feel is simply: ONE MORE TURN!
that was for Civ IV
in Civ V, I like the feel of unlocking social policies, you hear that writing sound, you pick a policy, and your Civ gets stronger!

Another reason is pretty simple really, I LOVE the mods and the idea of seeing X as Leader fight Y as Leader

And the games do tell a story overtime I feel I can related to, like watching Pinkie Pie get overrun with Aliens XD

Top Bottom