What percentage of computer games are fundamentally stories?

Gori the Grey

The Poster
What percentage of computer games would you say are fundamentally stories? Differing from traditional stories in being more interactive, to be sure, but fundamentally stories.

Most RPGs of course.

FPSs generally have plot objectives that you're trying to achieve through all your shooting.

Games like Civ tell a kind of story (a pseudo history-of-the world); though if you want to count them out because that story is incidental, I'd be happy to hear that.

Some are pretty much mostly puzzles, maybe: Minesweeper, e.g. If you strained you could turn it into a story (I cleared away all the mines). But you'd be straining.

There are quite a few Hidden Object games that are designed as stories, and not just pictures where you find hidden objects. I've spent over 5 years now, turning one of them into prose. It was originally supposed to be just about the game as presented, but one idea led to another and then Mary KB asked a question about a character when I asked her for some feedback... and next thing I knew a character I hadn't thought much about suddenly acquired a family, background, motives of his own, which led to additional court intrigue and creating another kingdom (court intrigue when you have only one kingdom is not as interesting as when you have others as well).

So the original plans got away on me and now it's a very long project that will take quite a bit longer to finish.

Then there are the Casual Arts games - the Vacation Adventures series (Park Ranger and Cruise Director) plus Christmas Wonderland. All three games use mostly the same main characters, and their lives do change (albeit slowly). They move house, get married, get promoted, get into relationships that I found Really Inconvenient for the story I was writing - when one character I wanted to put into a relationship with another character went off and started dating a third character... :mad:. But it's fixable. Park Ranger comes out with new games once or twice a year, and I can plot faster than that. Ranger Betty can go take a hike (pun totally intended)!

Some of us on a couple of other gaming forums I belong to have been speculating about the storylines of these games for years.

Another game series that has a storyline is Ravenhearst. The first one was fun. The second was a little creepy. But then they started carrying "Psychological Horror" warnings on them and included imagery I found disturbing to the point that I quit playing them. There are people on my other forums who still love these, though I can't fathom why. I guess they have a higher tolerance for visually violent things than I do.

I was going to say “all, with limitations” but your example of Minesweeper is a good one at where there really isn’t much to build on—an interesting challenge I’m sure already has been taken on by some fanfic writer somewhere. Probably with 18+ elements.

Now saying that most games have a story would require just a calculation of % of games that aren’t puzzles without any narration—Candy Crush has some story elements, but it’s not really in any kind of linear narrative like any other story.

I suppose RPGs come the closest of the available genres, though I think some games like the Grand Theft Auto series run heavily on having a plotline that is a kind of a story. I really play games for the game elements, not the storytelling; it’s pretty rare any game has enough good content in it to make it worthwhile on its own without the game elements.

I really play games for the game elements, not the storytelling; it’s pretty rare any game has enough good content in it to make it worthwhile on its own without the game elements.

Spec Ops: The Line
The Dark Souls Trilogy
Elden Ring
Bloodborne
Disco Elysium
Planescape Torment
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre
Silent Hill 2
Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas
Undertale
Halflife 1 and 2

All disagree and known just as much for their story as for their gameplay

I really play games for the game elements, not the storytelling
That's part of why I highlighted Civ. As I said, you can experience it as telling the story of your civilization thriving through historical time. And sometimes I play it that way. But usually, I experience it as, effectively, a puzzle: how can I best leverage my existing resources to build yet more resources faster than the AI does? With combat in Civ 5 (and I assume 6 is similar), it really is: how can I move troops around and have them attack so as to maximize the damage they do and minimize the damage they take? Not fundamentally different from chess, say.

The game play elements are often a puzzle. Even Elden Ring and Baldur's Gate 3 combat is largely about solving a series of combat puzzles and riddles to unlock more puzzles. But you stay for the story. Even something like mortal kombat pays homage to being a story, even if it's kind of a dumb one. You almost need to get to castle crashers or tetris or smash bros before the story is just absent.

So by far the vast majority, then?

That's what I secretly want you all to give as the answer.

I contribute to an Escape Velocity-derived game on GitHub by writing and reviewing missions and stories. While the official guideline is that you shouldn't be writing like a novel, a lot of the game is text-based story. Certainly I've heard praise for the game's stories, and also some pretty visceral reactions to what is just a text-based game with some flying and shooting in 2D space.

People are divided on whether the game is story-based or mechanic-based. Obviously I say it is story-based, but the problem is that many people playing the game fundamentally do not care about the story and look for better rewards (basically, larger numbers and better spaceships); they're more than willing to spoil themselves in order to get "the better ending". That makes me sad, because I contribute to the game for people to read quality stories, not for them to be skipped for rewards.

There is another dichotomy between FPS games like Doom and Marathon. Marathon has a brilliant and deep story, but Doom is considered to be a better FPS game (that as far as I can tell has a story that makes little sense). Similarly to the previous game, much of Marathon's story is told through text based terminals. Today Doom's popularity outstrips Marathon, but that might change as interest in Marathon's story is resurfacing.

In my opinion, the best games tell their stories through the game's mechanics. For a board game example (I know it's not the subject, but it could be helpful), Oath could be considered quite good at this because it relies on the cards players utilise to create the story of the game. There is no "lore"; players interpret what the cards represent based on the context. In my last game, I (an Exile vying for the Chancellorship) hid out in the River Valley mustering troops, leveraging A Small Favor from the people there to rapidly enlarge my forces. Then, I defeated the bandits to become the ruler of the Deep Woods. With their support, the inhabitants of the Woods and their Martial Culture led me to gain citizenship of the Empire, when I proved my worth in battle by defeating the holder of the Grand Sceptor decisively at the Tribunal (the defender rolled 0 defence, amazingly. My advisors must have used Encirclement in battle very effectively). Since the existing Chancellor's oath was fulfiled, I was his successor when I took hold of the Sceptor, leading me to victory when his tenure of the Empire was over. Oath has no story, it's just whatever you make up in your head that the board facilitates. It does take like 3 hours, though. So, it's similar to Civilization where you can create the story through the mechanics of the game. (Interestingly, the designer of Oath called the game his "hate letter" to civilization boardgames.)

I’m sure already has been taken on by some fanfic writer somewhere
I patrolled the edge of the grid. Shiny grey tiles. Clean. Uniform. But under some of them . . .

Bombs.

Step wrong, you don't take another step.

The first step is itself a game of Russian roulette.

Your wits can help you after that. They can up the odds that your next step is not fatal.

Up the odds.

You'll wonder why I do it, then, with all the risks.

Sometimes I wonder myself.

But there are mines in this world.

And I'm a minesweeper.

perhaps...?

1703232551797.png

All disagree and known just as much for their story as for their gameplay
I’m not familiar with most of the games in your list and they don’t sound like they’re in my area of interest. To each their own but all of the games I have tend to be more on the sim-side of things, so if there is a story attached to anything it is one that I‘m in a sense writing. Sometimes literally if I go back through the old video game threads here!

All that said, you might well be right. Just relaying my experience to everyone.

There’s stories like emergent head cannon you get playing civ, simcity, gemfire, etc

Then there’s stories like that’s the point like final fantasy

Then there’s stories that don’t matter at all like Mario, you just want to play.

And then there’s games with extremely rich stories that I don’t even begin to pick up on 80 hours in like Elden Ring.

Bur, just to confirm, the vast majority involve stories. Mere puzzle games as a small slice of the pie. I'm trying to draw on the knowledge of people who play more computer games than me (i.e. one).

If you compare by share, the phone games with limited stories may dominate. Like candy crush, angry birds(limited fig leaf story), wordle. That sort of thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom