What started with a Bang Ended with a Bang

GKShaman

Prince
I just had the oddest game ever.

Immortal Start as India, Pangeaea

I spawn next to two stone and a marble - my reaction - SWEET! time for stone circles and Mauselum.

Then I build a monument but my warrior sees two ruins so a turn later I switch to Scout.

By T20 Ive not only hit liek 4 ruins I got pottery by turn 4 so I went writing. I was successful at getting the Great Library. Then I also proceed to get Mauseloum and get a pantheon up.

But between Turns 20 - 60 the Aztecs found 6 cities. SIX CITIES. I was liek man he must have a horrible army/happiness. Then on T65 its war and he pulls up with a three jags.

Im just like piece of cake - just use the city and chip em off. Then BAM he has two swords, a catapult, a archer, and MORE FREAKING Jags.

Dead by 71. What just happened? Im inclined to think AI cheated. He had some tiles worked super fast. and soo many cities? did he have enough luxes?

Immortal difficulty dude...
AI definitely get bonuses to their production and happiness bonuses and something more.

i've had similar rushes on immortal and even emperor - i was just reminiscing about them here. including the super-wide sprawl before turn 70. it's amazing what the AI can do with those build discounts when it applies itself instead of dithering around all day.

If you think the Aztecs are bad about this, well, if you own BNW, then you might want to avoid the Zulu.

immortal is the starting point where you just couldn't wonderwhore. Building 2 ancient wonder is an invitation for early DOW.
If you didn't build the GL, and build archers instead, you already win that game, imo.

I think with some luck in starting position you can do that aswell. With liberty you'd have to build 5 settlers before turn 60, seems possible. I have done some strategy's aimed at very quick expansion and i think i got close to that.

Afcourse youll need a strong innitial city. Apart from the odd out of spawnig near lake victoria, one not so unlikely but possibe great spawn one can have is to start out near a load of wheat + deer. A fairly coman occurence if you sellect abundant under resources. Because a lot of wheat + deer might allow you to build a sort of early mini hanging gardens, asside from the +2 food a granery gives its also + 1 food for all farms and deer, so spawning with 4 tiles either farm of deer makes the granery give the equivelant food surpluss of the hanging gardens, and ive seen more than just a total 4 of these 2. You can have that granery out quite fast, say turn 20, and you might have grown a bit in poppulation by then too, say size 3. The extra food will give you plenty of added growth but it's also interresting to have asside of the deer/wheat a number of tiles that give you good production so that you can assign all that extra food to production fast. In any case both the farms and the deer give you production and food, very usefull for pumping out settlers.

Basicly i would start with monument for culture, a worker next but put in queue from the moment granery comes available, then prioritize the granery first and let the worker complete, and should it take some time still before you get that social policy which gives free settler and settler build reduction then you build something that interrests you i think i usually chose millitary unit at that point, but from the moment one can choose to build the cheaper settler you start to pump them out. Say that we build the granery around turn 20 and we start pumping out settlers around turn 30 or 35 depending on how much we want to let the city grow (which might depend on the amount of farms/deer possible to work) you would need to reach a production that would allow you to pump out settlers at 1 per 5/6 turns.

I have played out quick expansion strategy's and might possibly have expanded just as fast but i'm not sure if i could do it before turn 60, would have to test. As to luxury's they are typicly a big consideration in this strategy, one thing that can make it a lot easier is to settle on luxury tiles so to avoid having to send workers, but in such a strategy its important to get lucury's online very soon obviously so youre workers need to prioritize them often and you need the scarce millitary units you can afford early on to scout out the region well to find those different luxury's. Natural wonders are good too afcourse.

I have found its all about where you start. if you had a ton of hills in the perfect spots, you still stop the attack. if the terrain isn't to your favor for D, you either get lucky and don't get attacked, or you get mauled. I get rushed 1 in every 3 times where I just have bad terrain for D

what I have found in BNW, unlike G&K, is that you aren't so much set into a "must" use order. the past game I played I had 1 city until 20 pop. that is just silly, borderline insane at that difficulty, Immortal difficulty, the standard map I was on was PACKED. I changed everything I usually do, that is why I love BNW, even if you fall behind you can catch back up with the right moves(literacy,pop)

Shishigami Bang koko ni kenzan!

You died because you built the great library next to Montezuma instead of three archers. Same would happen with Shaka, only worse because of his overpowered buffalo promotion .

Top Bottom