what to do with England's late game?

darkace77450

Emperor
So assuming a mid-game Domination push with England fails for whatever reason, what backup plan do you guys fall back on? Looking at it on paper, it looks England's Spies give her quite a bit of flexibility in that regard. While I don't think stealing technology is going to be a reliable way of beating someone in a space race, using Spies to rig elections and stage coups or as Diplomats with Globalization can certainly be a boon to Diplomacy.

There's also the option to stuff museums and the Louvre with artifacts (picking up some art to fulfill the Louvre's theming bonus) during the mid-game to get a foothold into a Cultural Victory. Late game, grabbing Broadway and the Sydney Opera House before sending the Beatles, U2, and the Spice Girls into the world for some cultural bombing - using spies as Diplomats, of course - in conjunction with Futurism just might be enough to overcome the late entry into the race for a Cultural Victory.

What do you guys prefer? Have you had luck with either of the above options when your conquests don't go as planned? Or do you prefer to rebuild your forces in the later eras and try again for those capitals you failed to grab the first time around?

Before I found out that my plans have failed, I would at least try to keep my units to make sure they don't perish. Once my units are back into my city safe, then I would continue to make more research and continue to gold so that I could keep my ships and at least get to upgrade them in case a rival wants to counter attack.

Mid-Game England should probably be conquest-focused, they have 2 very nice UU's. Diplomatic Victory is the way to go if Domination fails. Having 6 extra votes in the WC is a pretty nifty thing.

Mid-Game England should probably be conquest-focused, they have 2 very nice UU's. Diplomatic Victory is the way to go if Domination fails. Having 6 extra votes in the WC is a pretty nifty thing.

That too and then you end up with a freedom or autocracy ideology to help out the diplomatic victory branch out into a possible victory. Using social policies in either of these ideologies are more likely to help out the civilization get the diplomatic victory.

With their boat speed, that autocracy thing could be good because they could quickly get to the cs

With their boat speed, that autocracy thing could be good because they could quickly get to the cs

Gunboat Diplomacy, I presume?

It is certainly a viable choice, combined with an extra spy to rig elections England can get those Congress votes in rather quickly.

Industrial espionage also helps you to get ttechnologies quicker from other civilizations when attempting to steal. Once you try to attempt to steal a technology, your wait time will be halved once you get the industrial espionage social policy.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I still find myself being pulled in two directions by England's Unique Ability when it comes to the late game.

The emphasis on naval superiority means I'm going to be filling out Exploration. That Social Policy's opener and closer (the Louvre and hidden Antiquity Sites, respectively) has me thinking of picking up Broadway and the Sydney Opera House on the way to the National Visitor Center and the Internet and utilizing Great Musicians for a late-game Tourism charge for the Cultural Victory.

But the other half of Engand's UA is telling me to build a National Intelligence Agency and put those extra Spies and that strong navy to good use with Industrial Espionage and Gunboat Diplomacy. The intimidation put on coastal City-States (I don't think I've ever seen a land-locked CS, now that I think about it) combined with some well-timed coups sounds like a fun way to win a Diplomatic Victory.

Though I'm still not sure which way to go, the diplomacy-by-threat-of-force route sounds like a lot of fun. And ultimately, I guess that's the most important factor to consider when it comes to this or any other decision relating to Civilization V.

Though I'm still not sure which way to go, the diplomacy-by-threat-of-force route sounds like a lot of fun. And ultimately, I guess that's the most important factor to consider when it comes to this or any other decision relating to Civilization V.

Play both strategies in different games, and decide for yourself how fun/appealing each strategy is for yourself then :).

The +1 range promotion from Longbow is kept when upgraded to Gatling Guns & up, which continue to make a very powerful land unit if you haven't finished the domination victory plan.

The continued movement promotion for naval units (including embarked) will also help with that regards.

If instead you shift gears, the extra spy can help with directly with diplomatic victory (Globalism) and often indirectly with Culture (extra diplomat to place in somebody's capital following some false ideology)

Top Bottom