What TV Shows Are You Watching? The 9th Is - Excuse Me - A Damn Fine Cup Of Coffee

He has too many other things he can do that are easier.

Well I finally finished Shōgun. Overall really good. Samurai, the drama, scenic views, Blackthorne cursing every 3rd word, the acting, and storyline were all great. But those costumes, they were exceptional. I don't normally notice costumes but there were that good. I found it hard to keep track of some of the more minor characters. I found myself saying "Who's that?", "Wait...she has a son?", "He has another son?" a lot.

Last edited:
Looks like fun!

The Rings of Power S2 teater trailer arrived:

It seems like it has been so long since the last episode... I can scarcely remember what was even going on when season 1 wrapped.

I remember that Legolas made up with the Dwarven King (forget his name ATM, too lazy to look it up), but I feel like a bunch of other stuff happened after that.

Oh well... gives me an excuse to do a re-watch to refresh my memory :D

Manifest s2

Spoiler :
Wow, the death of "The Major" was really lame. They set her up to be some kind of Big Bad, and then... That was it? Did the actress decide to leave the show, forcing the writers had to write her off in a hurry? What a disappointment.

Manifest s2

Spoiler :
Wow, the death of "The Major" was really lame. They set her up to be some kind of Big Bad, and then... That was it? Did the actress decide to leave the show, forcing the writers had to write her off in a hurry? What a disappointment.
I've been watching The Resident on NETFLIX (well, my wife has been watching it and I've been sort of watching it with her) and the same thing happened...
Spoiler :
They killed off the awesome two main female leads because they decided to leave the show to pursue other things and/or focus on family...

and then replaced them with less interesting, but more traditionally "pretty/cute" characters.

It reminded me a little of when VOY replaced Kes with Seven-of-Nine 9and when TNG replaced Pulaski with Crusher. However, thinking about it... that worked out exceedingly well :think: so...

Under the Bridge (Hulu) is moving along nicely if slowly (one week at a time). It has been excellent.

I'm happy for more Shogun though I will really miss Mariko (Anna Sawai)

Bridgerton Season 3 came out last night. Haven't started it yet. Most of the main cast appears to be back, though I think the main girl from Season 1 is gone now. A new Bridgerton girl appears to be the focus, but no idea where she came from. I suspect she is a cousin from the Father's side, but not sure. I was hoping more focusing would be placed on Eloise as I really like the actress and the character. Penelope though appears to be very much up front and she and Eloise are close friends. Of course, we know who Penelope is now

I'm happy for more Shogun though I will really miss Mariko (Anna Sawai)

Bridgerton Season 3 came out last night. Haven't started it yet. Most of the main cast appears to be back, though I think the main girl from Season 1 is gone now. A new Bridgerton girl appears to be the focus, but no idea where she came from. I suspect she is a cousin from the Father's side, but not sure. I was hoping more focusing would be placed on Eloise as I really like the actress and the character. Penelope though appears to be very much up front and she and Eloise are close friends. Of course, we know who Penelope is now
Been watching with wife. Great show. We also watched the prequel "Queen Charlotte" which was also excellent. Reminds me a lot of " The Tudors", which I also really enjoyed.

She had been rewatching the first two seasons but I didnt realize until yesterday that it was to refresh for season 3.

Law and Order Toronto Criminal Intent continues to rely crudely on miraculously inducing confessions.
Too bad, because I like the two main actors.
The target audience craves romantic-style stories, where everything ends "resolved"/finished... particularly where the bad guys/guilty are clear and lose/die/get punished in the end. The reality, where everyone thinks they're in the right/justified/innocent and someone has to send a person to gaol despite the person vehemently protesting their own innocence... is... uncomfortable... contrary to expectations... and wouldn't allow the audience to sleep as soundly.

Audiences don't enjoy having their expectations subverted, loose ends, unanswered questions and similar.

The target audience craves romantic-style stories, where everything ends "resolved"/finished... particularly where the bad guys/guilty are clear and lose/die/get punished in the end. The reality, where everyone thinks they're in the right/justified/innocent and someone has to send a person to gaol despite the person vehemently protesting their own innocence... is... uncomfortable... contrary to expectations... and wouldn't allow the audience to sleep as soundly.

Audiences don't enjoy having their expectations subverted, loose ends, unanswered questions and similar.
Still, one would expect that if you kill you aren't typically going to then snap and confess out of spite because a law officer pushed your buttons. Though indeed this was exactly how the US version of CI went too (maybe even more crudely) :) The last two episodes ended with confessions, when otherwise the guilty party would go free.

Still, one would expect that if you kill you aren't typically going to then snap and confess out of spite because a law officer pushed your buttons.
Of course not, but the "snap confession" is such an imbedded trope, that it has become almost a necessity, regardless of how implausible it is... sort of like the supervillain monologue.
The last two episodes ended with confessions, when otherwise the guilty party would go free.
Exactly... we can't have the bolded now, can we? How would people sleep at night?!:faint: Are you not entertained??:)

Last edited:
Under the Bridge (Hulu) is moving along nicely if slowly (one week at a time). It has been excellent.
I've fallen behind a couple of episodes. Thanks for reminding me. I need to get back on that ride.

The Rookie s6 e10, season finale

Spoiler :
Too many moving parts in this episode, and they didn't all come together entirely coherently. It felt rushed. I wonder if the writers had planned this out for 13 episodes, but had to truncate it because of the strikes.

They've found a new way for me to be annoyed with Chen & Bradford. I didn't like them together as a couple. I never understood why the writers put them in a relationship in the first place. Then, I didn't understand it when Tim broke up with her, and now, like 5 minutes later, he's already regretting it? wtf... Again, maybe they were planning to stretch that out more, but even so. I never "shipped" those two, and I couldn't help feeling that the writers only had them get together because fans on Reddit were asking them to. Writers should never listen to the fans. We don't know wtf we're talking about. :lol: C & B were better as friends & colleagues, pranking each other and whatnot. They were almost like siblings, in a way. I suppose there's a certain amount of "why are these two hot people not hooking up?" There was that episode with their awkward first date and I was like "this is what their whole relationship is going to be like" and I was right.

Hey, what happened to James/Arjay Smith this season? I don't think he was written out of the show. He just seemed to have been forgotten. I thought he and Nyla were a fun couple, but maybe they had too many characters and couldn't shoe-horn him in. James and Wesley seemed to have a nice chemistry too. Weren't the two of them talking about working together? Just not enough screen-time, I guess. That would've been a fine spinoff, if they were looking for a spinoff. Their rushed introduction and spinoff of the FBI agents that nobody wanted to see got canceled already. They had so many interesting characters on the show, but they needed to introduce all-new characters that nobody cared about, just so they could call it a spinoff of The Rookie? I don't get it. The people who run these H'wood studios just seem like boneheads half the time, and when they get something right, it's almost like it was pure luck.

I'm happy to see Oscar back in the world. I hope Jason gets got, I don't really like him, but I don't want to see Oscar get killed. I'd love to see him get back together with Ashley/Molly Quinn, if she's game to do it (and I don't know what else she's got going on). The two of them were fun together, they almost had a Joker & Harley Quinn dynamic (except, obviously, being father-and-daughter instead of being a couple).

Monica's okay, I guess. I could take her or leave her. I'm glad she escaped, but I don't need to rush her back onto the show. She wasn't really a good replacement for Rosalind (RIP Annie Wersching), but that's a high bar. Rosalind & Wersching were great.

Bodkin
New comedy series about a true crime pod-caster who goes to Ireland to investigate a 25 year old triple murder.
First 3 episodes are quite intriguing and very amusing.
We just finished watching that one. Upvotes from us, too.

Before that it was Dead Boy Detectives, which is also good (mostly!) clean fun. Technically a Sandman spinoff -- albeit from a single-issue story that was originally part of the Season Of Mists arc, so hasn't actually been filmed/broadcast yet (but is presumably on its way, since SoM directly follows The Dolls' House arc, which was adapted into the second half of Sandman S1) -- but tonally more along the lines of Wednesday, CAoSabrina or Lockwood & Co.

Last edited:
The Rookie s6 e10, season finale

Spoiler :
Too many moving parts in this episode, and they didn't all come together entirely coherently. It felt rushed. I wonder if the writers had planned this out for 13 episodes, but had to truncate it because of the strikes.

They've found a new way for me to be annoyed with Chen & Bradford. I didn't like them together as a couple. I never understood why the writers put them in a relationship in the first place. Then, I didn't understand it when Tim broke up with her, and now, like 5 minutes later, he's already regretting it? wtf... Again, maybe they were planning to stretch that out more, but even so. I never "shipped" those two, and I couldn't help feeling that the writers only had them get together because fans on Reddit were asking them to. Writers should never listen to the fans. We don't know wtf we're talking about. :lol: C & B were better as friends & colleagues, pranking each other and whatnot. They were almost like siblings, in a way. I suppose there's a certain amount of "why are these two hot people not hooking up?" There was that episode with their awkward first date and I was like "this is what their whole relationship is going to be like" and I was right.

Hey, what happened to James/Arjay Smith this season? I don't think he was written out of the show. He just seemed to have been forgotten. I thought he and Nyla were a fun couple, but maybe they had too many characters and couldn't shoe-horn him in. James and Wesley seemed to have a nice chemistry too. Weren't the two of them talking about working together? Just not enough screen-time, I guess. That would've been a fine spinoff, if they were looking for a spinoff. Their rushed introduction and spinoff of the FBI agents that nobody wanted to see got canceled already. They had so many interesting characters on the show, but they needed to introduce all-new characters that nobody cared about, just so they could call it a spinoff of The Rookie? I don't get it. The people who run these H'wood studios just seem like boneheads half the time, and when they get something right, it's almost like it was pure luck.

I'm happy to see Oscar back in the world. I hope Jason gets got, I don't really like him, but I don't want to see Oscar get killed. I'd love to see him get back together with Ashley/Molly Quinn, if she's game to do it (and I don't know what else she's got going on). The two of them were fun together, they almost had a Joker & Harley Quinn dynamic (except, obviously, being father-and-daughter instead of being a couple).

Monica's okay, I guess. I could take her or leave her. I'm glad she escaped, but I don't need to rush her back onto the show. She wasn't really a good replacement for Rosalind (RIP Annie Wersching), but that's a high bar. Rosalind & Wersching were great.
Huh, I somehow thought that had gotten cancelled at some point.

Top Bottom