What upgrade path would you take for Zulu?

andersw

Emperor
Immortal epic.
Im going buffalo things > march but then Im starting to question myself maybe because the options are so damn good.
Mobility is super but so is Blitz with move 3, stalwart helps them to not die but overrun and forlorn are also great, Zulu luxury problems ... where would you go and why?
1711647777729.png

Immortal epic.
Im going buffalo things > march but then Im starting to question myself maybe because the options are so damn good.
Mobility is super but so is Blitz with move 3, stalwart helps them to not die but overrun and forlorn are also great, Zulu luxury problems ... where would you go and why?
View attachment 687563
The obvious answer is....all of them! in seriousness, I never go to one path, but create custom differences for what I need.

For units fighting in my terrain or near the border, march is great because you can heal so much damage. While when I'm deep in enemy territory, I won't use it as much. Further, march is good when I get a promotion while my unit is badly damaged, as I probably have to send them home to heal anyway, and so being able to heal while I'm pull back greatly speeds up the process.

Overrun is great if you have skirmishers and terrain where you can set up good flanks, nothing will give you more offensive power and is my personal favorite. Stalwart is used to hold key positions and citadels. I like Blitz for city taking and for open terrain, on more mixed terrain I find the speed knockdown hinders it too much for melee units. Because the buffalo line isn't as good for city taking I tend to not use blitz as much with the zulus.

shouldn't this be in strategy?

Mobility is generally wasted on Zulu because getting up to 3 moves is way bigger than getting up to 4 moves.
Blitz is always a risky pick for melee units. You chew through so much HP trying to make it work.
I always just go Stalwart. More defense is never bad.

I agree with everything haha. But I suppose I can suggest Blitz first. It pays off more the longer you can use it to gain additional xp. But you'll need everything eventually. I find myself always wanting siege units more than anything. Cities can really decimate units without some added protection.

I also usually go stalwart because the main use for infantry is to be meat shields. With impis I guess blitz is a lot more tempting however. Probably would be between those two

I also usually go stalwart because the main use for infantry is to be meat shields. With impis I guess blitz is a lot more tempting however. Probably would be between those two
Yes impis are so strong so would probably make sense short term, however blitz scale better when in tech advantage and Impi lose their weapon throw as fusiliers so with tech speed on immortal Im a bit behind and I chickened out for march > stalwarth.
Will probably go forlorn on some of the upgraded free company and overrun on a few.

shouldn't this be in strategy?

Mobility is generally wasted on Zulu because getting up to 3 moves is way bigger than getting up to 4 moves.
Blitz is always a risky pick for melee units. You chew through so much HP trying to make it work.
I always just go Stalwart. More defense is never bad.
Stalwart all day every day

Survivability > everything

You can have ultra elite units if they die

March is anemic on offense and if you're not on offense as Zulu something is wrong.

Blitz is a "win more" promotion, it's only useful for when you already have control of the battle space and are cleaning up. In a fair fight it's quite risky.

Overrun is amazing, get that after stalwart.

Yea I've been convinced myself with the comments here as well as my own experience to go for Stalwart asap. I always liked choosing Blitz in the past. But the promotion tree has gotten a bit better than it was in the past. I played this game more often a few years ago. While it is nice to get Blitz early if you can, it's true that it's not always useful. If you can't survive two attacks and then a possible counter-attack, the unit will be dead.

Immortal epic.
View attachment 687563
I guess it depends. On the map. Are there a lot of woods then woodsman is great. If not then it's kind of meh. I like the Blitz, not for the double attack so much but for taking things and moving forward but then being able to get away and not having your turn end standing out there is a deathfield. Great with then the extra movement. Defender/Stalwart(?) everything that makes it so you can live to fight another day is good, it's also nice to have the one from cities if you are a unit built to siege cities.

If you hunt a lot of units then the overrun is nice. As you splash more units. While not much for one splash if you have a few units it's a lot of free splashy damage.

I guess my least picked choice is the Formation (the three pointy things) one. It's not that it's bad. It's just that I never get around to picking it until very late as tehre is almost always something better.

But overall then I guess Stalwart and Blitz. But not for the double attack. It's so you can attack and then run away. Hit and run all the way. Don't stand and die but if you have then Stalwart.

Top Bottom