What was the first video game you ever played?

I got as... Christmas gift a Sega Mega Drive, with Sonic The Hedgehog 1 and a combo cartridge which included Columns and 2 other games I forgot.
Good times :D.

On PC, it might have been C&C Red Alert, Diablo or Fallout 2. I don't remember, either of it via the same friend.

Civ !.
The version I had crashed whenever I researched Rifling. It was possible to reach a space victory without Rifling but it got nervewracking as the other Civs outpaced you militarily.
Then I got a compilation including Civ 1 (which worked properly), Railroad Tycoon, Pirates and Colonisation I think.

I don't know the first ever game that I've played, but it's probably something like Manic Miner on the Amstrad CPC 464.

My first console game would be Alex Kidd in Miracle World, built into the Sega Master System II.

My first PC game was SimCity Classic, as it was bundled with the PC. Another game that came with that PC was CivNet, a Windows 95 port of Civilization.

Can't be sure about precise one. I know it was in 2nd grade (97/98 school year should be) elementary school (only place I could get to PC until age of 14; and even school got PC's late and from donations mostly). And it MS-DOS (pardon?) with some driving game (all I can remember was normal roads with traffic and constant speed after input).. For people interested one teacher learned "magic device things" for different age kids, I was youngest by ~2 years at that time.

First game was probably one of the kiddie games like Putt-Putt or Freddie Fish. I got Civilization 3 in fourth grade or so, but I didn't really understand it. Civilization 4 was the first game I got that I actually learned how to play, this would be 2006 I think?

Probably Pong. If not, then backgammon on my geometry teacher's Apple II.

My first computer game was Kingdom, which ran on my school's Interdata 7/16, a huge box that sat in the corner and communicated by teletype. You gave it a seed number for the RNG and then made choices about how much grain to store and that sort of thing. Then in a couple of turns, it told you that you had starved or frozen or been overrun by enemies.

A good guess would be Treehouse, which I know we had early and is targeted at the age group I was in at that time.
Treehouse! I had completely forgotten that game. I have not though of that one in such a long time.
Civilization 1.

I had no idea how to move the settler wagon so gave up almost immediately.
I played Civ 1 on the SNES version and remeber being so confused on how it works. I was able to settle my city but couldn't go further than that because I couldn't figure out that blasted UI.
Sonic The Hedgehog 1
Ah I loved that but playing it now the controls are so bad. I still like it but compared to newer ones it is very bad controls.
My first PC game was SimCity Classic, as it was bundled with the PC. Another game that came with that PC was CivNet, a Windows 95 port of Civilization.
Those are both some awesome games to bundle with the PC. Both of those are very dear to me and Sim City was an early video games I played (definitely not the first though) and I played Civ later.

Pong and some lunar landing game on an ancient computer

Reactions: HEF
First game i played on a home computer was pool of radiance

Geez, it's a long time ago now...

I remember playing a Defender-type game (except scrolling only L --> R, with cave-sections, and the spaceship could drop bombs) on a family friend's Atari(?) console over the summer of 1983, and I know for sure I played Space Snake on the VIC20 in our primary-school classroom a year or so later, along with a Centipede-clone.

About that time, another friend got a C64: one of his games was another Centipede-clone (most likely Bug Blaster, per Wikipedia), another was a 2-way side-scroller where you piloted a VTOL-fighter, but I don't remember what that one was called, either (possibly something strikingly original like "Harrier Jump Jet"...). I also played (or tried to play!) Fortress (this one) and Elite at yet another friend's house, on a BBC Acorn.

The first videogame I ever played was a communist version of pong. That's right, I'm oldschool. I was also born in a communist country, so we were a bit behind when it came to consumer electronics (to say the least).. For one of my birthdays my parents were somehow able to buy me a pong machine, with 9 or 10 pong variants preprogrammed onto a box. So.. It was a black box with 9 or 10 buttons to pick the variant (1 paddle each, 2 paddles each, obstacles on the playing field, etc.) and the only other button was an on/off button. It came with two controllers you could only spin left or right - designed for pong. So.. all you could do on this thing was hook it up to your TV and play pong. We had a tiny b&w TV so it was fun but I didn't really play it that much from what I remember. I preferred to play outside.

When we moved to Germany my parents were again somehow able to buy me an Atari800XL computer. My first computer! It came with no drives at all - no disc drives, no floppy drives, no harddrive, etc. no OS. You boot it up and you get BASIC and can start programming. It also came with a tape deck from which you could load in programs and run them. Some of these were games! My parents also bought a joystick as part of the birthday gift, and at some point they bought me a game. NINJA. This must have been my first real video game, cause c'mon.. commie pong was barely a game. Eventually we figured out that it's possible to copy tapes with games on them and that the copies work perfectly.. We had little money as refugees seeking political asylum, unable to legally work in Germany, so this little loophole allowed me to play more games on a regular basis, rather than just always playing Ninja. Blue Max was one of those first games I really liked and played a lot. It wasn't long though before I discovered Panther, which was my favourite game for a while. River Raid has to be mentioned here too as one of the firsts, but everybody knows River Raid.

At home? Probably the Logical Journey of the Zoombinis. As educational kid's games go, it was pretty awesome.

Either that or Worms. That was our family PC game for a while.

At school, we had Fireball . . . Google suggests Fireball II on our single Mac (all other machines were Windows) as well as a demo for Zool. Played an awful lot of both of those, with some Lemmings thrown in.

1979, the golden year of computer games...
Pirate Adventure on a 4k Tandy computer that plugged into a TV.
Hunt the Wumpus on a Wang computer in the Australian Taxation Office, Canberra. It was the 1st "PC" in a government department in Australia, and only 2 people knew how to use it. :)

One of the very few good games I had on Amstrad was Pirates!

upload_2021-11-15_7-22-30.png

Top Bottom