What was your first experience with the Three Kingdoms period?

Dknight99

Chieftain
So I was thinking today about my first encounter with the Three Kingdoms period and was wondering how other people first experience this period. Also I was wondering about what keeps people interested in this period after so many years since their first encounter with this epic time period/story.

For me my first experience was playing a multi player game with my cousin when I was 10 years old on the snes and I think it was Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3 or something like that. I was hooked ever since and my interest of the series grew after watching the Mainland China TV series. You can also find it on youtube now with English subtitles now. It's just an amazing story about war but also on human nature.

I suppose the reason why I'm still so interested with the story is that despite all the warfare that happens in the story it really focuses on the human aspect of things and not do the usual good guy vs bad guy theme. There really is no bad guys, just different sides. Even though Cao Cao was known as a tyrant, a different way of seeing it is that he is trying to unify the land as quickly as possible. While Liu Bei although portray as the hero has many flaws and often did things that indirectly caused the deaths of so many (Changban, Yiling)

And of course there is Zhuge Liang in the novel. Even though the things he did was fictional in the RoTK series, it's just epic and it's real enough to make me wonder if it could have actually happened. Anyways just wondering about other's feelings on the Three Kingdoms period.

I actually read the original novel in Chinese when I was about 14 but don't quote me on how much I really understood. Then came the Nintendo games in college and then now this mod. There was a AOE-like game on the PC before this mod that wasn't really successful (ugly graphics and clumsy mechanics) so I didn't really play it that much.

Dynasty Warriors, lol. Then I started following the mythology... and I'm not a big fan of Liu Bei, I gotta say. Sun Ce is much cooler, and Cao Cao's ruthlessness gets the job done.

I first encountered the time period while playing Dynasty Warriors at my cousins place five years ago. Since he lived about 8 hours away, I remembered it as a cool game, and then I promptly forgot about it.
What really got me interested in the time period was this mod. I found the mod when it had just came out, it looked really impressive, so I took it for a spin. Needless to say I was hooked, and unlike five years ago, I enjoy historical things much more. From there I purchased the novels, and ROTK XI.

I agree completely with Dknight on the human aspect of the story. I really love how the story isn't all war and fighting.

Add another one for Dynasty Warriors!:lol: My first experience with Three kingdoms history was Da Qiao legend mode in Dw 4 Xtreme legends...Now I've got all Dw games (excluded DW 3 xtreme legends) and ROTK X and XI and I'm going crazy to find an italian version of the Romance....I hope that the film "La battaglia dei tre regni" (The battle of the Three Kingdoms aka Red Cliff) will bring in Italy popularity to this historical period.:)
PS: I prefer the Wu kingdom, expecially Sun Ce (see the nickname:lol:) and Da Qiao.

As a kid, I played a lot of Romance of the Three Kingdoms II (SNES). It's a shame they appear to have ended the series, because the only reason I got a playstation was to get the newer ones.

Well, they do have ROTK XI for the PC... it's quite fun!

ROTK XI for PC is single-player. I can't understand why KOEI won't even implement the hotseat mode in ROTK XI. Imagine how fun it could be if our enemy is not the dumb AI but actual human.

I agree about the hotseat mode! It's such a shame... any gameplay value wouldn't be lost by having players see eachother's turns since you can always see the whole map anyways.

ROTK XI didn't come out in English on the PC until relatively recently.

Honestly though, I had more fun with VIII and X than with IX and XI. I think the officer mode really adds replay value to the game. Once I beat Romance IX with Kong Zhou, I didn't really touch the game again.

ROTK XI for PC is single-player. I can't understand why KOEI won't even implement the hotseat mode in ROTK XI. Imagine how fun it could be if our enemy is not the dumb AI but actual human.
It actually does, you can choose up to 8 factions and basically once you finish one factions turn it moves to the next. It doesn't have the name, but up to eight people can play the game. Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI doesn't have Fog of War.

My name is scholar, I'm known in a few places. I'm well versed in the entire scenario and have been studying the subject for over 3 years. I've read the novel, it's not fact. It's good if you want a rough outline, but it's not at all dissimilar from reading MacBeth and declaring you know all of English and Scottish history.

My first experience had to have been playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII and then playing DW4. I enjoyed it and quickly grabbed the other games and soon started reading the novel. Afterwords I set out to learn fact from fiction. Most of the novel was fiction, 99.99% of DW was fiction, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms had relatively historical scenarios but lacked a major portion of the actual country and lacked the thousands of minor factions that roamed the country-side and lacked Barbarian tribes. *sigh* anyways, Hello.

Hello scholar! Are you the same that frequents the Koei forums? I've done a bit of lurking there and learned quite alot. Especially that the topic of Liu Bei often starts a flame war :lol:

As for the RoTK "hotseat" mode (as I suppose you can call it), it doesn't really seem all that effective... especially since it requires that you physically have another RoTK player with you, and they are few are far between *sigh*

It'd be really interesting to see what opinions you have on the mod currently.

That's me. Yeah, that's true. But it's a start.

I just made a rather lengthy topic for some suggestions, you're welcome to look at it if you like.

I had a rockin game on the Amiga back in the late 80s (I think it was) called Bandit Kings of Ancient China. I also had another KOEI game at the time called Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but as I remember Bandit Kings was much better. At least I certainly was more into it.

this mod

I first encountered the time period while playing Dynasty Warriors at my cousins place five years ago. Since he lived about 8 hours away, I remembered it as a cool game, and then I promptly forgot about it.
What really got me interested in the time period was this mod. I found the mod when it had just came out, it looked really impressive, so I took it for a spin. Needless to say I was hooked, and unlike five years ago, I enjoy historical things much more. From there I purchased the novels, and ROTK XI.

I agree completely with Dknight on the human aspect of the story. I really love how the story isn't all war and fighting.

Hey i have RTK 11!

Dynasty Warriors, lol. Then I started following the mythology... and I'm not a big fan of Liu Bei, I gotta say. Sun Ce is much cooler, and Cao Cao's ruthlessness gets the job done.

You should...Try out...DWO. [Dynasty Warriors O.N.L.I.N.E....YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!1]

Dynasty Warriors got me interested in it, and the Romance of the Kingdoms game series made me fall in love, haha. I've also read a bit of the novel, not extensively so far, just parts I was more interested in. I may read all the way through one of these days.

I was actually planning on creating my own RTK mod and had created about half of the civs before I was pointed to this one. Looks incredible, much better than my attempt. XD

Downloading now! :D

Started with RTK 2, then read the novel, continue with RTK3, 4, 7, 10, 11, DW...

Top Bottom