What wonders you would like to see in a third expansion?

What wonders you would like to see in a third expansion?

• Belém Tower - Portugal

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • Burj Al Arab - United Arab Emirates

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Burj Khalifa - United Arab Emirates

Votes: 40 31.7%
  • Empire State Building - USA

Votes: 55 43.7%
  • Great Mosque of Samarra - Iraq

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Gyeongbokgung - South Korea

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • Hassan Tower - Morocco

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Hawa Mahal - India

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Hollywood - USA

Votes: 42 33.3%
  • Leshan Giant Buddha - China

Votes: 30 23.8%
  • Mount Rushmore - USA

Votes: 46 36.5%
  • Nazca Line - Peru

Votes: 40 31.7%
  • Nordic Museum - Sweden

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • Palace of Versailles – France

Votes: 62 49.2%
  • Royal Liver Building - England

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Sankoré Madrasah - Mali

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Shwedagon Paya - Myanmar

Votes: 29 23.0%
  • Sphinx - Egypt

Votes: 51 40.5%
  • St. Peter's Basilica - Vatican

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • Temple of Solomon - Israel

Votes: 42 33.3%
  • Pyramid of the Sun - Mexico

Votes: 37 29.4%
  • The Buddhas of Bamiyan - Afghanistan

Votes: 22 17.5%
  • Three Gorges Dam - China

Votes: 53 42.1%
  • Westminster Abbey - England

Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Others

Votes: 39 31.0%

• Total voters
If we have any more wonders, I'd rather have something different and unusual like the Buddhas of Bamiyan or the Banaue Rice Terraces rather than more cathedrals.

I agree. My first few posts had Red Rocks Amphitheater (which would be really unique) and a bunch of Asian wonders

I just threw that up there because I went there once

The Trowulan Ruin looks very similar to the Cham towers in central Vietnam. I know Cham and Indonesian are both Austronesian, but it didn't think their architectures were so resembling each other.
Spoiler :

the similar architecture in all southeast asia were spread by srivijayan empire, 4 centuries before majapahit. Srivijaya is centered at the island of sumatera, but later conquered java island, and large portion of mainland southeast asia.

I want the Flavian Amphitheater, AKA The Colosseum. It irks me to no end that one of the recognized wonders of the world has been relegated to the bottom-tier happiness building that you put in all of your cities.

I want the Flavian Amphitheater, AKA The Colosseum. It irks me to no end that one of the recognized wonders of the world has been relegated to the bottom-tier happiness building that you put in all of your cities.

They could have the Colosseum as both a building and a wonder. Wouldn't be the first of its kind:

Maya - Pyramid + Chichen Itza
Indonesia - Candi + Borobudur
Egypt (sort of) Burial Tomb + which are found within the Pyramids
Songhai - Mud Pyramid Mosque + Mali's Great Mosque of Djenne

Since the Statue of Liberty, the Christ Redeemer and Colossus are already in the game.
And Leshan Giant Buddha and the Buddhas of Bamiyan are already in poll
I made a list of statues that perhaps could be wonders:

Peter the Great Statue - Russian Federation
Spoiler :

Emperors Yan and Huang – China
Spoiler :

Spring Temple Buddha – China
Spoiler :

Monumento a la Virgen de la Paz – Venezuela
Spoiler :

The Big Buddha – Thailand
Spoiler :

Mother of the Fatherland – Ukraine
Spoiler :

Alto de Santa Rita – Brazil
Spoiler :

Mount Nemrut – Turkey
Spoiler :

Laykyun Sekkya - Myanmar
Spoiler :

The Motherland Calls - Russian Federation
Spoiler :

If there is room for more modern wonders, this would be nice. I've always wished there were more in the later eras: there is hardly anything to build but military units then.

Gateway Arch- USA

Spoiler :

the similar architecture in all southeast asia were spread by srivijayan empire, 4 centuries before majapahit. Srivijaya is centered at the island of sumatera, but later conquered java island, and large portion of mainland southeast asia.

Hm, I just went over some Cham's annals, and they claim that the Cham got their architecture from the Indians. So is it India or Srivijiaya? Maybe both?

The intriguing thing is these towers only exist in central Vietnam but not in the northern and southern parts of the country.

Hm, I just went over some Cham's annals, and they claim that the Cham got their architecture from the Indians. So is it India or Srivijiaya? Maybe both?

The intriguing thing is these towers only exist in central Vietnam but not in the northern and southern parts of the country.

Both.

The amount of interaction going on between all those powers was pretty heavy so you'll see influences overlapping

If there is room for more modern wonders, this would be nice. I've always wished there were more in the later eras: there is hardly anything to build but military units then.

Gateway Arch- USA

Spoiler :

Yes!! Well I am definitely biased towards it, because my mom is from St Louis and I visit twice a year, but I still think it might deserve a spot as a wonder. We have no wonders that are really focused on "pioneering", IIRC, and I think the Arch could give the following benefit: Settlers move through rough terrain as if they were scouts. +50% production when building settlers, new cities start with 3 pop.

Or:Settlers move through rough terrain as if they were scouts. New cities get +50% bonus to food, gold, production, science, faith, culture, and tourism until they reach 6 pop.

I would also love to see the Rice Terraces, the 3 Gorges Dam, and the Nazca Lines.
Seancolorado's Red Rocks Amphitheater also looks cool, but probably not deserving enough to be a wonder. It seems awesome, and if it was more important/well known, I would love to see it.

Both.

The amount of interaction going on between all those powers was pretty heavy so you'll see influences overlapping

while this is true, do remember that it was actually Srivijaya's Syailendran dynasty who first inspire the siamese to build the wats. That temple is most probably another syailendran inspire temple or works on champa lands.

while this is true, do remember that it was actually Srivijaya's Syailendran dynasty who first inspire the siamese to build the wats. That temple is most probably another syailendran inspire temple or works on champa lands.

So I just read about that Cham tower. Its name is Ponashu http://vietnamdiscovery.com/destination/mui-ne/hightlight/ponashu-cham-towers/ postulated to be built in the late 8th century to worship a Hindduist god. The oldest known standing Cham tower is Po Nagar built in 781; so, unless the preliminary evaluation is worng, Ponashu must be erected within the time frame from 781 to 799.

The earliest mention of the Syailendran dynasty is in 778 from the Kalasan inscription. So, it is possible that the Chams was inspired by the Syailendras. However, the time window is very small.

Could it be that both the Syailendras and the Chams' architecture were inspired by that of an earlier kingdom of Southeast Asia's archipelago?

So I just read about that Cham tower. Its name is Ponashu http://vietnamdiscovery.com/destination/mui-ne/hightlight/ponashu-cham-towers/ postulated to be built in the late 8th century to worship a Hindduist god. The oldest known standing Cham tower is Po Nagar built in 781; so, unless the preliminary evaluation is worng, Ponashu must be erected within the time frame from 781 to 799.

The earliest mention of the Syailendran dynasty is in 778 from the Kalasan inscription. So, it is possible that the Chams was inspired by the Syailendras. However, the time window is very small.

Could it be that both the Syailendras and the Chams' architecture were inspired by that of an earlier kingdom of Southeast Asia's archipelago?

srivijaya is ruled by king Dahranindra at 775-800 ad, the very king that instructed the candi sewu (1000 candi complex) and started the borobudur project. Srivijaya was also conquered chen la (a kingdom that cover parts of cambodia, thailand, and vietnam) at 790 ad. Although losing them again 2 years after Dahranindra passed away.
I think the probability is good that the temple is Dahranindra's, considering that it is a mahayana hindu, a hindu branch that actually of candi sewu complex.

srivijaya is ruled by king Dahranindra at 775-800 ad, the very king that instructed the candi sewu (1000 candi complex) and started the borobudur project. Srivijaya was also conquered chen la (a kingdom that cover parts of cambodia, thailand, and vietnam) at 790 ad. Although losing them again 2 years after Dahranindra passed away.
I think the probability is good that the temple is Dahranindra's, considering that it is a mahayana hindu, a hindu branch that actually of candi sewu complex.

Wait, you mean Dahranindra ordered the construction that temple? But it cant be because the temple lies deep in Champa's not Chenla's territory. Chenla only covered Southern Vietnam (even at its zenith it never successfully took any of Champa's territory until it morphed into the Khmer Empire, but that happened centuries later), these temple are in the central part.

I am still a lot more biased towards the theory of cultural interaction than outright subjugation.

Wait, you mean Dahranindra ordered the construction that temple? But it cant be because the temple lies deep in Champa's not Chenla's territory. Chenla only covered Southern Vietnam (even at its zenith it never successfully took any of Champa's territory until it morphed into the Khmer Empire, but that happened centuries later), these temple are in the central part.

I am still a lot more biased towards the theory of cultural interaction than outright subjugation.

yes, true that. Its not through subjugation, but the area closeness could mean that some token of a good will between srivijaya and champa is surely given. In the consideration that Dahranindra is such a temple freak, and srivijaya is a major hindu mahayana kingdom, i can imagine king Dahnanindra sent workers and engineers to construct a temple for the champas, as a token of a good will of course. Remember that champa and srivijaya maintained a long good relationship and trades. Or another assumption is that a group of srivijayan monks is establishing a foothold on champa.

Top Bottom