What would the leaders speak?

i see. Well, then i got a wrong idea from the few discussions of the series i stumbled upon. Mea culpa, sorry for muddling the issue.

你怎麼敢。你應該首先研究的課題。作為懲罰,我們會做出一個老太太摑你的大腿與雞扒。

Don't you just love Google Translate

Moderator Action: Please remember to provide an English-language translation for any non-English content in your posts.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

In Firefly, all they did was swear in Chinese.

The setting in firefly would present an intermingling of english and mandarin to show that both cultures were important in this future mixed society. Obviously western TV viewers know very little mandarin, so the only parts in dialog being in mandarin would be the ones one could derive from context. Not only people loved the swearing in mandarin, but surely the creators of the show derived a very special pleasure from it.

the fact is that if mandarin were widely understood in western countries today,they might have opted for a more organic interlocking of the languages. With next to nobody in western countries being able to understand it though, how would have it made sense from a practical viewpoint to show a big part of the dialog in mandarin?

If you look at culture in Firyfly mandarin is very present in style and in written word, but not spoken much, because the TV viewer would not understand it. I believe that was a very good way of handling it and there is no reason to suspect in Joss Wheedons mind version of the 'verse mandarin would only be used to swear.

Slavic Federation - Russian. Duh (?)

Polish. :D

Really, it could just as easily be Slovakian, Ukrainian, Estonia, Lithuanian, Serbian..... Just because General whatshisname is russian sounding doesn't mean the lingua franca of the federation is russian. For all we know in the 200 years prior, Romania conquered all of east europe all the way up to the urals, and everything east of the urals became Siberiastan, and the Romanians who were very devote orthodox Christians instituted New Church Slavonic as the main language and decades later the territory derived its name from it.

Who knows?!

I think they are missing one Leader from the whole pack:

Finland ! - well it stands to reason that last time Finland almost kicked Russians ass and nowadays Finland has huge technology and infrastructure, soo at some point in the future Finland will prolly conquer Russia.

And while we are at it.. we will prolly also conquer Sweden (i mean to conquer Sweden you only need couple hundred angry finish men armed with sticks, their army is soo rediculous). But we need sweden so we can attack Norway and get their Oil :)

Language will prolly be Finish, with some russian words.

Oh:
the strengths should be: science, money and war
The weaknesses should be: health (from all the alcohol), religion (finish dont care) and culture (well unless you count icehockey)

Finland will prolly conquer Russia.

And while we are at it.. we will prolly also conquer Sweden (i mean to conquer Sweden you only need couple hundred angry finish men armed with sticks, their army is soo rediculous). But we need sweden so we can attack Norway and get their Oil :)

Maybe, but you'd need *sober* finns to achieve that, which could be a defining flaw in your plan. Also 10 years after the conquest you would ask yourself, how it came to be that the swedes would all of a sudden run your country. But its all a moot point because we have all known for a long time now that its is Jan Mayen that will conquer Skandinavia and large swaths of Russia.

Maybe, but you'd need *sober* finns to achieve that, which could be a defining flaw in your plan. Also 10 years after the conquest you would ask yourself, how it came to be that the swedes would all of a sudden run your country. But its all a moot point because we have all known for a long time now that its is Jan Mayen that will conquer Skandinavia and large swaths of Russia.

You might be right.. That might actually be the reason to war.. We run outta booze.. :lol:

But the country would still be called Finland.. If the people get angry politians start dying.. And we do like our country name. Btw even the mutual icechokey team would be Finland.
;)

你怎麼敢。你應該首先研究的課題。作為懲罰,我們會做出一個老太太摑你的大腿與雞扒。

Don't you just love Google Translate

Moderator Action: Please remember to provide an English-language translation for any non-English content in your posts.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Tpangolin just experienced the reason why English will remain the common tongue firsthand.

If all the leaders do end up speaking English I will be quite disappointed. CiV was a step in the right direction.

One of my biggest problems with modern television is that all the actors speak in accented English that's supposed to be indicative of the era and setting. Vikings is a good example of this. Apparently Australian English spoken with a mouthful of pebbles in the mouth is what old Norse sounded like.

Less people would watch Vikings if the entire thing was laden with subtitles.

Linguistically speaking - I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume that English will be the lingua Franca well into th future.

Why's that? Countries like China and India all have subs included in their media due to the many dialects and languages they have. It's not as if games don't already give the option for subs along with cinema and game dialogue.

If all the leaders do end up speaking English I will be quite disappointed. CiV was a step in the right direction.

One of my biggest problems with modern television is that all the actors speak in accented English that's supposed to be indicative of the era and setting. Vikings is a good example of this. Apparently Australian English spoken with a mouthful of pebbles in the mouth is what old Norse sounded like.

Crikey, let's raid the French and skull some Fosters!

@ptoss, you do realise that there are more English Speakers in China than in America right? Especially in the past century, the rates at which it is spoken has sky rocketed.

And also Antilogic, I can safely say that as an Australian it's in my genes to consume a fair amount of Alcohol. I don't think I've ever seen a bottle of Foster's.

Linguistically speaking - I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume that English will be the lingua Franca well into the future.
Eh, it's more a question of politics. I mean 200 years is a bloody long time, the USA is only a little bit older than that.

Until the early 20th century, French was spoken by many diplomats and state officials, same with colonies. The rise of English speakers in Asia at the moment demonstrate that it only takes a generation or two to introduce a new lingua franca.

It really depends on the politics, not the linguistics, how long it takes. Seeing how Brasilia was instrumental in rebuilding parts of the world after the Great Mistake, seeing an Iberian Romance language displacing English after three-four generations (i.e. 90-120 years).

With 200 years, you have enough space to change to any language. Though keeping it as English is probably easier on the developers! :lol:

Although the leader speech isn't designed to be an accurate portrayal of the text at the bottom anyway. There are too few voice recordings so it's too repetitive. Really, I tend to prefer the ones I can't understand and I think I'm not alone with being annoyed by the speakers of my own language in Civ5.

I better start learning Norse just in case Norway takes over the world. Should be pretty easy - apparently all I have to do is put some Pebbles in my mouth and drink Fosters.

I better start learning Norse just in case Norway takes over the world. Should be pretty easy - apparently all I have to do is put some Pebbles in my mouth and drink Fosters.

Its not Norway, its Jan Mayen that will take over the world. Anyone knows that (at least anyone visiting paradox plaza). But they do speak Norse (i think), so you're golden anyway. Just keep clear of the weaponized Icebears.

And also Antilogic, I can safely say that as an Australian it's in my genes to consume a fair amount of Alcohol. I don't think I've ever seen a bottle of Foster's.

And here I was led to believe Foster's was Australian for "beer." What brand of Foster's do you drink? :mischief:

Its not Norway, its Jan Mayen that will take over the world. Anyone knows that (at least anyone visiting paradox plaza). But they do speak Norse (i think), so you're golden anyway. Just keep clear of the weaponized Icebears.

RoaRRR, Roarroarrrr.
(I suppose I don't have to translate it, Right?)

Although the leader speech isn't designed to be an accurate portrayal of the text at the bottom anyway. There are too few voice recordings so it's too repetitive. Really, I tend to prefer the ones I can't understand and I think I'm not alone with being annoyed by the speakers of my own language in Civ5.

From the preview, it look like leader would speak short phrase. Which is good, I think. Most of us already "reply" to Civ5 leader before they done speaking. But I prefer many dynamic motion or it would be tormenting to watch.

BTW, You're certainly not alone :) I am also annoyed because "Hello, I believe this is fair offer for both side, How about you" *adjust offer and ask if he okay with it* "Hello, I believe this is fair offer for both side, How about you" :mad::mad::mad:

Top Bottom