What's a fair price for Colonization?

VLGoldenJew

Chieftain
I saw a thread on the forum that one site has Colonization as 18 euros, which is about $29 USD (according to today's exchange rate).

I think $30 is right on the money, no pun intended, but I worry they'll price it at $40 or even $50. I'm concerned that all of the marketing messaging of this being a "all new game" despite relying on the Civ 4 engine is rationalization to charge more.

What do you think a fair price for Colonization is? And will you buy it regardless of the price point?

It'll be worth it. I'm a big fan of the old game, and if I'm willing to pay 50 bucks for any game, that one would be one of them.

No more than 20€......

I think it should be just a bit cheaper than a regular new release (maybe $20 less or something). It should be more than $30 anyway (I don't think there's a lot of difference between American and Australian dollars these days).

This sounds odd, but I don't actually care. No, I'm not rich, but the Colonization remake is going to be one of those games that I'm likely to play for many hours, just like Civ. So in the long run, it doesn't really matter if it costs 20, 30 or 50 euros -- I'll buy it anyway. :)

But I expect it'll be around 30 euros. That's also the price my game store here in Germany lists. Release date seems to be September 11th. (Curious choice.)

I'll probably be around 40$ (with the current dollar price) at least that would be the max I'd be willing to pay... unless they move the realese closer to or earlier than my birthday... then my parents will finally know what to give me that isn't socks and underwear. *LOL*

I'll happily pay 300 NOK (almost $60 nowadays). But if it's priced low enough in the US, I'll import it - there is no toll on items worth less than 200 NOK (~$40), so it will probably be cheaper. Yes, I live in an expensive country...

i will buy it for 20 US dollars, and not a penny more.

Its not my fault that inflated prices does not mean inflated wages.

I guess we are entering an era of being a lower-second world nation where our people are basic economic slaves without purchasing power. 20 dollars tops, but i see it being priced for 40, as BTS was priced at 45 in my area (indiana).

Since they advertise it as a standalone expansion i expect no more the the price for an expansion.(€20-30 .) But I would pay a full game price (€50,-) if i had to. After 14 years of waiting finally a new colonization, and then i would leave it because of the price, i don't think so.

BUT, if the price is full price i want them to call the game Sid Meiers:Colonization 2 and not Sid Meiers:Civilization 4: Colonization

i will buy it for 20 US dollars, and not a penny more. Its not my fault that inflated prices does not mean inflated wages.

Well, I look at the entertainment value. Games tend to seem expensive, but if you consider how many hours of entertainment you get out of them, and compare this to, i.e. movie DVDs or books, they are often pretty good or at least fair deals. This is especially true for a game like Civ (any version) and, presumably, the Colonization remake. I'll probably clock hundreds of hours. Even at fifty or sixty euros (which it won't cost), that'd still be a lot of entertainment for the money. More than I get from paperback novels (hours of entertainment per euro), and I usually consider those to be a fair deal (it's different with hardcover books, but I sometimes buy even those if I can't wait for a sequel to a much loved novel). It's different with movies here in Europe. I don't pay twenty euro for a 90 minutes movie (it's cheaper in the US, I know). But Colonization? You know you'll play it for many, many hours. :)

Civ IV was $50 (USD) at the begining of '08, and it came out in what, 2004?
So if they are using Civ IV and Sid Meyer in the name, they will probabally charge $50 or more, if anything, for the name(kinda like iPods;))
But even Sid has to pay 4 dollars (or more) for gas.

well, if its a fairly big release, I would bet it'll be on sale for $24.99 or better a few days after it comes out.

Since its a stand alone, and not an expansion, maybe $24.99 will be the price. At least I hope so.

Top Bottom