What's A Nomadic World Look Like?

I think there should be a heavy emphasis on Deserts and "Steppes", and possibly Hills and Mountains, too.

Resource-wise, I think the map should have more so than normal, but also they should be spread in a way so that you won't get too many within the borders.

Resource-wise, I think the map should have more so than normal, but also they should be spread in a way so that you won't get too many within the borders.
What do you think about the idea of resources that are quickly exhausted but with a frequent appearance rate, to simulate things like migrating herds or seasonal plants? Such an idea might even work for metals - one way early tribes gained access to iron was through meteor falls.

That would allow for resupply and trade route crossings. In a desert environment,routes that don't take into account moist resources are suicide. If one were to settle seasonally one could not do it w/o water. Anyways I would think it would break up monotony.

There's no need to make it multi-tile however. There are other options - like more than one "oasis" type resource (wadi & cacti come to mind immediately). In my Rise of Asia map I also included one tile "flood plain" locations, which end up appearing like the surrounding desert while still giving their own terrain benefits. That would allow for longer -term settlements.

You would also need to have game appearing in the plains and grasslands as well as forest. The buffalo were the mainstay of the Plains Indians even before the horse arrived here, and you have the Lapps following the migrating reindeer. You would need to increase the food value of game to reflect its importance to nomads, as well as shields and gold. Again, the Plains Indians made an immense number of items from the buffalo hide, same with the deer and the Eastern Indians.

What do you think about the idea of resources that are quickly exhausted but with a frequent appearance rate, to simulate things like migrating herds or seasonal plants? Such an idea might even work for metals - one way early tribes gained access to iron was through meteor falls.

Great idea! May I use this in my Alaska mod?

Top Bottom