What's YOUR favorite mod, and why?

topsecret

Believer
Supporter
Howdy, fellow modders and players,

I'm curious about what great mods are out there and why you love them. If you could take 2 minutes and tell me what your favorite mod is and why, I'd love to see what favorites everyone has.

My favorite mod right now is definitely RFC: Dawn of Civilization by Leoreth. I have been playing a LOT of it! I love the refined RFC mechanics, especially the new Historical victories!

Last edited:
Fall From Heaven and it's derivatives, easily. Nothing even compares.

Yes, the other stuff is great and all that. But just the sheer depth of not just gameplay but lore that went into FFH is astounding. And than of course there is the technical achievement and audacity of even attempting it. And the fact that to this day it's submods push the limits of what is possible with the CIV4 engine which appeals to me as a programmer.

Lately I've been playing a lot of Dune Wars as the new movies have piqued my interest. It's really well polished and I love how they've integrated the Dune universe into the Civ 4 systems. For instance, since there is no ocean, sand fills in a bit of an analogue for them; certain units can't move across the sand, and you can only build cities on rock. And you have things like sand worms and dust storms to worry about. They've also added some other interesting systems from the Dune universe that allow for unique gameplay and victory conditions.

I've only played with it a little bit, but Planetfall is a fun way to experience a more modern version of Alpha Centauri. You can even drop in original audio and video assets right into the mod. But it does feel a bit buggy, either that or I don't fully understand some of the sytems (which is likely since it's been a very long time since I played Alpha Centauri).

And I really want to try out the Middle-earth Mod the next time I'm in a LOTR mood :)

Lately I've been playing a lot of Dune Wars as the new movies have piqued my interest. It's really well polished and I love how they've integrated the Dune universe into the Civ 4 systems. For instance, since there is no ocean, sand fills in a bit of an analogue for them; certain units can't move across the sand, and you can only build cities on rock. And you have things like sand worms and dust storms to worry about. They've also added some other interesting systems from the Dune universe that allow for unique gameplay and victory conditions.

I've only played with it a little bit, but Planetfall is a fun way to experience a more modern version of Alpha Centauri. You can even drop in original audio and video assets right into the mod. But it does feel a bit buggy, either that or I don't fully understand some of the sytems (which is likely since it's been a very long time since I played Alpha Centauri).

And I really want to try out the Middle-earth Mod the next time I'm in a LOTR mood :)
Haha thanks for the kind words. I've been slacking a bit on the modding. Life is so busy my free time is usually spent playing mods recently instead of making mine.

Haha thanks for the kind words. I've been slacking a bit on the modding. Life is so busy my free time is usually spent playing mods recently instead of making mine.
Same here. Like the ideas just won't flow for me these days.

I think maybe you could change the title to: "What's YOUR favorite mod (other than your own), and why?" After all any/most modders will favor their own mods, which is natural.

The same way I also like my own mod and touch any other only to get ideas or "steal" some assets.

So my second favorite mods are those from other genres than my own:

I don't play Fall From Heaven 2 but I really marvel at the quality of it, both the lore and the technical side. Sometimes I dream of creating a sci-fi total conversation of it and creating an amalgam universe with elements from Star Trek, Star War, Stargate and so on.

I also fancy Dune Wars and Planetfall, both for their sci-fi lore and the technical solutions. And they are beautiful too.

Middle Earth is quite fun! Though of course FFH2 takes the cake.

I like historical games. Still playing Earth 1643 AD. Unfortunately it always end by time win, even it is set to off. :-(

There are so many great mods. It is one of the things that I love about Civ 4.
Dawn of Civilization is definitely the one I have spent the most time playing. Generally I enjoy all the rhyse and fall mods (Sword of Islam, RFC Asia, RFC Europe, RFC Greek World, RFC Classical).
Top Secrets Middle Earth mod is very immersive, as is the Dune mod.
I've played a little of History ReWritten and Realism Invictus, and they both seem pretty good.

At the moment I am on a little break from playing Civ 4, but when I am back I plan to try Mad Max mod, Quot Majesty, and Dawn of Overlords.
Fall from Heaven also looks pretty good, but there seems to be a thousand different mod versions of it, so am never sure which to try!

I always cycle between FfH2 (with More Naval AI) and Realism Invictus when it comes to Civ 4. But I also bounce back to Civ 3 every now and then, playing a big variety of mods there, especially MEM2 and a heavily modified version of Rhye's of Civilization..

Top Bottom