When do units obsolete?

Syntax Error

Prince
I was playing as Montezuma and took Holy Warriors as a follower belief, in the hopes that I could get Jaguars in play when I'm already in Industrial. How wrong I was! Still, I managed to eke out a sub-300 culture win (would have been faster had I used the proper religion combo.)

So, when will your Warriors become obsolete? I think you can still build them until Ironworking, but don't know after that.

They become obsolete at Muskets, when you have an Infantry unit that doesn't require resources again.

I'm with Arachnofiend on this one. Once gunpowder comes into play your empire should be built up enough to not rely on Holy Warriors as a military crutch. Faith could probably be spent more wisely on either random GP or religious buildings (Pagodas etc.)

Also, on a slight tangent, I never pick up religious bonuses that have a shelf life. Holy Warriors and the +15% production rate for early wonders belief seems like such a waste unless your going for a super early game VC of some kind (Domination most likely).

The only reason I wanted Holy Warriors was because I was hoping to get Jaguars in the Industrial Era. Well that was a waste of time...

There's actually a list on the site here and each unit's Civilopedia entry lists when it goes obsolete as well. Warriors become obselete at Metal Casting. I always thought was weird that it was Metal Casting instead of Steel.

Holy Warriors isn't an inherently bad idea because it can nab you a few extra units in the early game while you crank out more by hand especially if you have a strong source of faith e.g. Natural Wonder or are a religious civ. It's not usually my preferred option but it works in some situations especially for some civs like Germany(IIRC Landsknects are only 70 Faith) and remember that the purchased units still get all your Barracks/Armory/Heroic Epic bonuses too.

The only reason I wanted Holy Warriors was because I was hoping to get Jaguars in the Industrial Era. Well that was a waste of time...

Can you get other pre Industrial Unique Units in the post Industrial era that way?

For example, could you use Holy Warriors to get Janissaries after Rifling has been discovered? Legions? Minutemen? Longbowmen?

If not, then why would Jaguars be any different?

Warriors and your Jaguar warriors, explicitly in game mechanic, become obsolete with Metal Casting. That is, you no longer have the option to purchase or build warriors when you research that tech.

You cannot purchase any unit with faith, just as you cannot with gold or hammers, after it becomes obsolete in the tech tree.

I see...

Here's what I noticed for the warrior line (post-warriors):

Muskets obsolete with Rifles (so get your faith-bought Minutemen before getting rifles!)
Rifles obsolete with WW1 Infantry (Replaceable Parts)
WW1 Infantry obsolete with Infantry (Plastics)
Infantry obsolete with Mech Infantry (Mobile Tactics)

And great find on that list Light Cleric! you win one internet!

It's always been in the civpedia as far as I remember... and I remember looking it up after wondering what would happen if I got the swordsman tech but couldn't find any irons.

Top Bottom