When does the full game come out?

Roland Ehnström said:
Bottom line is: It's pretty much impossible to make a bug-free game in this day of age.
That is such bull****, and I am personally getting sick of reading it. It gets propagated further each time a big name game is released - or should that be rushed out before it's completed. it's utter, utter tosh.

the ability to download patches has lead to games being rushed out the door by publishers who can now put ever tighter dealines on developers for quick erleases safe in the knowledge that - a/ it'll be easy to recitfy with a patch at a later date, once the money has been safely collected from a few gazillion sales; and b/ dullards throughout the world are buying the line that is somehow the acceptable norm.

Roland Ehnström said:
That looks like a broken or overheated gfx-card to me. Definately a hardware problem.
I can promise you now, it's not. I had my first crash with game today, and that's the sort of screen I got just before it happened. My graphics card is a brand new ATI x850xt PE. but you're right, i should ignore that only one piece of software on my machine crashes with video display discrepancies, because it simply CAN"T be the game, can it?

****NEWSFLASH****

If it was the game, it would happen to everyone. Fix or upgrade your pos pc.

Kudos said:
Good :). I'm not really trolling at all, I'm just frustrated with all the technical glitches I've been experiencing.

Perhaps there's been an announcment on a patch?

so, you, and a few others have been experiencing problems, and its the GAMES fault? ever thought it might be a problem with YOUR pc/os etc?:confused:

Edit:
have you tried downgrading your gfx drivers? If you are using the "latest" Nvidia drivers 81.85 ive found them to so buggy i had to remove them straight away, the only game they worked with was HL2, everything else had image curruption like you are seeing or texture curruption (those black bars on the water in your screenshot)... so you have BOTH those issues in 1 game.

Try using 77.77 or 77.01 or 77.05 drivers, and wait for Nvidia to sort themselfs out before blaming Civ4

Scatter said:
That is such bull**** [...] it's utter, utter tosh.

Maybe it is, but why do you have to insult me? You may not agree, but please at least try to keep things civilized. :(

Scatter said:
but you're right, i should ignore that only one piece of software on my machine crashes with video display discrepancies, because it simply CAN"T be the game, can it?

Where did I say it "CAN'T be the game"? I definately think that THIS perticular problem is hardware related, simply because that LOOKS LIKE a hardware problem from my personal experience. But that doesn't mean I think the game is PERFECT at all. If you need me to spell it out for you: I KNOW that this game is FULL of bugs! I have read the bug report forum too. :) That I believe that ONE perticular problem is hardware related doesn't meen I think that ALL problems are hardware related, does it?

I was just trying to help, sorry for that, won't do it again. :rolleyes:

By the way, my post wasn't directed at you - it was directed at Kudos - so I don't understand why you are upset at ME at all. :confused:

-- Roland

It looks like the problems I had when I overclocked my nVidia card. Are you or have you ever overclocked that card (the damage can be permanent).

Scatter said:
the ability to download patches has lead to games being rushed out the door by publishers who can now put ever tighter dealines on developers for quick erleases safe in the knowledge that - a/ it'll be easy to recitfy with a patch at a later date, once the money has been safely collected from a few gazillion sales; and b/ dullards throughout the world are buying the line that is somehow the acceptable norm.

Amen.

I think it's not that people really expect a 100% bug-free game. Games are too complex nowadays to ensure that they are absolutely bug-free. It's just that probably 95% of the bugs that are being reported in the bug report forum could have been fixed with a few weeks of beta testing. Also, stuff like the useless Civilopedia would have been removed within the first few days of a standard beta test. Do game developers still beta test their games? No? Well, then the poster who started this thread was right, and we are indeed currently participating in the beta test of Civ 4. And we're paying for it.

warpstorm said:
It looks like the problems I had when I overclocked my nVidia card. Are you or have you ever overclocked that card (the damage can be permanent).

The card is not currently overclocked but I have overclocked it in the past. It's never done any "damage" that I can tell. It's never overheated, or restarted the PC. It has caused artificats when it was too high, and I turned it off completely when the performance upgrade wasn't big enough.

I had similar graphical glitches playing Black&White. I had to go to my nVidia settings and twiddle with the sliders and enable directdraw etc.

Question: You did use the directx that came on the cd right? There's some civ specific content that the game actually needs, even if you already have 9.0c

as an avid gamer (mostly pc, but also console) for the past 20 years, it's reasons like this why ultimately console gaming will more and more become the predominate gaming platform.

all this talk of driver upgrades/downgrades... hardware upgrades/downgrades/differences. You don't have to deal with all this in console games. Most of the time it just works.

I'm not bashing Civ4. It works great on my machine and I love it. But threads like this just remind me that I think PC gaming is on its way out.

fant0mas said:
as an avid gamer (mostly pc, but also console) for the past 20 years, it's reasons like this why ultimately console gaming will more and more become the predominate gaming platform.

all this talk of driver upgrades/downgrades... hardware upgrades/downgrades/differences. You don't have to deal with all this in console games. Most of the time it just works.

I'm not bashing Civ4. It works great on my machine and I love it. But threads like this just remind me that I think PC gaming is on its way out.
There's no doubt that console gaming is simpler, easier and in many respects better.

But people have said that PC gaming is on its way out for a long time now and, well, that's not really going to happen any time soon. Now, if you can buy a PC and get a console for free, that's a different story, but most consumers consider a PC a necessity and a console a luxury. Many of those have to pick one or the other and between a necessity and a luxury which one would you pick?

Well I did everything suggested, including upgrading to SP2.

The graphical glitching seems to be gone but the game still runs like crap now that I'm into the late-mid game and it now freezes up completely, erases everything but the terrain (including the interface), and slashes a big black line across the screne.

THIS is simply not acceptable. I run far more intensive games, like battlefield 2 or Age of Empires 3, with hardly a problem whatsoever.

THIS is garbage, is what it is. My specs are nothing unordinary, it's just that no proper amount of testing was done on this.

Kudos said:
Well I did everything suggested, including upgrading to SP2.

The graphical glitching seems to be gone but the game still runs like crap now that I'm into the late-mid game and it now freezes up completely, erases everything but the terrain (including the interface), and slashes a big black line across the screne.

THIS is simply not acceptable. I run far more intensive games, like battlefield 2 or Age of Empires 3, with hardly a problem whatsoever.

THIS is garbage, is what it is. My specs are nothing unordinary, it's just that no proper amount of testing was done on this.

Ok, sure, next.:sleep:

ok- now go and tweak your virtual memory. page size and all that good stuff for win xp. you'll get there soon enough- your computer is very capable of running the game.

Kudos said:
Ok here's some specs:

3ghz p4 ht
1 gig ram
6600GT with latest drivers

And here's some glorious Civ 4:

Here's somethin for ya :)

I have the exact same specs and it works graphically PERFECT for me, same p4, same ram, and same nvidia. So I can assure you, on a pc that is in good condition (not saying yours isn't, I don't know about it, but MINE is) and has that specs, the game works wonderfully. :)

What driver version are you running? What's your page file size?

A few things:
1. This game was beta tested. There are beta testers that are reading these forums, including the founder of this forum. It's impossible for them to test the game on every possible system configuration. However, I am as stumped as everyone else how that ATI thing got by.
2. Games are released with known bugs . If you don't like it, stop buying games as soon as they come out. Wait until you can buy a gold edition and tell yourself it just came out. However, I'm willing to take some annoyances just to play games I really love, like a Civ game. Or you can be glad you play PC games that can be updated and fixed if there's something that slipped by, or a feature players want the beta testers didn't think about. You don't get that luxury on most consoles.
3. The joke would have been funny if there weren't like 8 threads with the same thing already.

If you want the game to be tested for twice as long, be prepared to pay twice us much. Since game developers know they wouldn't make even the half as many sales required if they charged twice as much, games get released with the level of testing people are willing to pay for.

If you don't like it, stop buying games.

Well, except for the DirectX 9.0c issue, it worked fine with my computer.

Even got the special edition too, which is a nice change of pace from me preordering it and getting the regular version (Looking at you, Amazon.com for C3C).

Top Bottom