When is Civ 5 most enjoyable for you?

Early game? Developing your capital, early settlements, establishing religion, going science or war etc.

Midgame trade, exploration, wonders and the rush to industrialization?

Lategame nuclear weaponry, high-tech units and ideologies?

Also state on which difficulty you normally play.

Ancient & Classical Eras when setting up my empire.

Late renniasance/ early industrial. The war is the most varried, the map is now noticably changing, the money situation is no longer too critical or too dull, and you are exposing the last hidden corners of the globe. Between 1550 AD and 1800 AD in real world time.

Rocket artillery. :D But the game usually finishes long before that. Starting with artillery warfare is no longer a huge hassle at least.

The Era I enjoy the most is the start, exploring, deciding on good spots, deciding on techs, that's when you are doing the most adapting and where the plan is not yet set into stone.

But I have the most fun when I am learning, or seeing that I have improved, for instance when first shave 20-30 turns away from my usual win times.

The middle and latter eras for definite. Early game can be a pain at times, but once you get to mid game, have a dozen or more cities up and running (I play wide...) and you're clashing with your neighbours the fun really begins.

the part before I have to interact with the AI
since the AI is absolutely terrible

Renaissance/Industrial era warfare. Before then, warmongering is a gamble that doesn't often pay off, and too busy dealing with infrastructure anyway. After then, it becomes a snooze fest of spamming bombers or 4 range battleships.

Even cannon are great. While still 2 range like cata/trebs, your queue is freed up enough where getting the occasional cannon isn't an issue and can just pump out more. Especially in a wider empire. If you manage to get up to 8-10 cities by mid Renaissance, you can have one city just pump out new military non-stop and rush-purchase any vital buildings which shouldn't be ignored (schools, etc.)

Oh, and Emperor to Deity, also sometimes use mods. Deity warmongering isn't as enjoyable, so often I play Immortal with some mods to help the AI out a bit (e.g., upgrading units for them cost zero gold)

honestly i like civ v from beginning to end, but; its an utter pain settling your capital and having to choose to build a scout, or two, then a worker when i would prefer to be building up to an archer to defend it. fortunately i have not seen the AI civs beeline to attack me when i am so vulnerable. i also prefer settler difficulty only it doesnt allow anyone to declare war on you, but thats the difficulty i currently have most fun on.

Until the late renaissance because then wonders become scarce.However I always forget to warmonger early game when it is still fun and end up winning boring battles late game

Medieval-Rennaisance for me. Empires are starting to take shape, runaways are slowly getting visible, the most interesting wonders are in this time period, warfare starts becoming more and more profitable, you set out to explore the world beyond your own continent...its a beautiful era.

honestly i like civ v from beginning to end, but; its an utter pain settling your capital and having to choose to build a scout, or two, then a worker when i would prefer to be building up to an archer to defend it. fortunately i have not seen the AI civs beeline to attack me when i am so vulnerable. i also prefer settler difficulty only it doesnt allow anyone to declare war on you, but thats the difficulty i currently have most fun on.

i would never understand why someone would want to play a game when they always win, regardless. Settler is something I never played, or want to play. On settler, you basically dont need an army. Settle 4 decent spots, build some buildings and wonders. Gold will skyrocket without military, so bribe every CS and then you win.

i would never understand why someone would want to play a game when they always win, regardless. Settler is something I never played, or want to play. On settler, you basically dont need an army. Settle 4 decent spots, build some buildings and wonders. Gold will skyrocket without military, so bribe every CS and then you win.

I used to play Civ III and IV on Warlord because I didn't want to obsess about the game and optimize everything. Sure, it's not at satisfying when you win, but it can still be fun. Actually I played Civ V like that for a while before I decided to go up in difficulty. Neither way is better, anything that's fun for you is the best.

Top Bottom