Where are my Iron resources?

Conspirator

Prince
Is anyone else finding that resources aren't always there? For example I'm playing a game where I have only one Iron resource, with 6 Iron. I've built a mine on the Iron, and connected a trade network from my capital to the city that has the Iron resource mined. But I still have 0 Iron available? Is this a bug or am I missing something here?

I'm currently playing my first game as Egypt on King difficulty on Epic speed Huge map, Continents. Generally I'm quite liking the game. It's certainly different from Civilization 4 and still hasn't got that comfort zone I had when I play Civ 4, i.e. I know exactly what to do, what to build, what to research in Civ 4, while that comfort is not there in Civ 5. It does have a lot of similarities but there is certainly a whole new layer of concepts I need to fully understand before I can say, truly, which game I prefer.

I haven't been able to go on an offensive as of yet. There is a lot of free land, so I've just settled new cities wherever there are new luxury resources, and aimed mainly for plains hills to get as much production as possible. I currently have 6 cities, 5 relatively close together but with a lot of space in between the gaps (buying tiles is quite expensive, so don't generally do it). Does anyone else find that cultural expansion is quite difficult? And has anyone else found that the maps seem to be a lot larger than Civ 4? (probably because of the difficult of border expansion/hexes?)

Diplomacy wise it doesn't seem to be as complex as Civ 4 but I'm still in the early stages (around 1ad, turn 130 odd I think) of the game so don't really need any help at the moment. I do like how they come up in the game sometimes and add little comments which give an insight into how they are feeling. For example one civ apologised for declaring war on a CS that was friendly to me, and offered me to say no prob it's ok, or you will pay. You can demand other civs not to settle near you. It's quite obvious when someone isn't happy with you, or is unsure about you, etc. but how they react to events in game. They also mock you. I like how deals end every so many turns automatically. It does certainly have a lot of potential. it reminds me of Civ 2 for some reason.

The game is taking a very long time to get going. Whether this is a bad or good thing I'm not sure, but you do certainly feel a bit held back in terms of production compared to Civ 4 (but only because of civilian rushing being taken out). I'm unsure whether I like this or not yet, need to see how things play out but I'm certainly not against the move, I always liked long game, and it does mean you need to decide a lot more carefully what you want to produce. Something you select now will give a result in 15 turns, rather than pretty much instantaneously in Civ 4 with rushing. Because buildings cost maintenance now and units cost a lot of maintenance you need to decide what to build, and the units you have need to go a long way for you.

I'm no longer breaking about even financially anymore like in Civ 4, I want to have a big surplus to help leverage actions in game. Which is good. I do wish build wealth was better though, much better to produce a unit and then kill it than to build wealth.

As of right now I don't really see the need to attack any of my neighbours apart from to push them back culturally away from my borders, because I have a lot of space and my cities aren't even near half their potential if I focused on buying tiles instead of rushing cities. Maybe you should start the game and focus on only a few cities, like 3 and then build up an empire later by conquest, i.e. capturing select juicy few high happiness/production powerhouses? Does anyone know what happens culturally when you take a city, do you retain the tiles the city owned or is it like Civ 4 when you were left with a 1 tile city?

I have something different regarding iron.

I didnt have iron, but traded for 3 with napoleon as we were allies in a war. I have one iron source with 2 iron outside a city but it is not connected. However in my game it is showing 9 iron sources... Really cant figure out where they are coming from. Looks like a bug.

I really hope it magically fixes itself after I load the game back up. I need those Irons.

Have the same question. I have two iron mines within my borders. It gave me 4 iron up at the top of the screen. I used them though to develop 4 swordsman units. Now I have zero iron and I don't understand why I'm not gaining anymore? Are those iron mines limited resources and they ran out? Why am I not gaining more iron? I mean I know you can deplete a mine in real life, but it seems pretty silly that they'd be so limited in the game when iron is used for so much.

Iron mines are limited, so in your game you can build 4 iron units, or you need to capture a few more mines. It's becoming more strategic. 4 swords, 4 cats or a mix?

Is anyone else finding that resources aren't always there? For example I'm playing a game where I have only one Iron resource, with 6 Iron. I've built a mine on the Iron, and connected a trade network from my capital to the city that has the Iron resource mined. But I still have 0 Iron available? Is this a bug or am I missing something here?

I'm currently playing my first game as Egypt on King difficulty on Epic speed Huge map, Continents. Generally I'm quite liking the game. It's certainly different from Civilization 4 and still hasn't got that comfort zone I had when I play Civ 4, i.e. I know exactly what to do, what to build, what to research in Civ 4, while that comfort is not there in Civ 5. It does have a lot of similarities but there is certainly a whole new layer of concepts I need to fully understand before I can say, truly, which game I prefer.

I haven't been able to go on an offensive as of yet. There is a lot of free land, so I've just settled new cities wherever there are new luxury resources, and aimed mainly for plains hills to get as much production as possible. I currently have 6 cities, 5 relatively close together but with a lot of space in between the gaps (buying tiles is quite expensive, so don't generally do it). Does anyone else find that cultural expansion is quite difficult? And has anyone else found that the maps seem to be a lot larger than Civ 4? (probably because of the difficult of border expansion/hexes?)

Diplomacy wise it doesn't seem to be as complex as Civ 4 but I'm still in the early stages (around 1ad, turn 130 odd I think) of the game so don't really need any help at the moment. I do like how they come up in the game sometimes and add little comments which give an insight into how they are feeling. For example one civ apologised for declaring war on a CS that was friendly to me, and offered me to say no prob it's ok, or you will pay. You can demand other civs not to settle near you. It's quite obvious when someone isn't happy with you, or is unsure about you, etc. but how they react to events in game. They also mock you. I like how deals end every so many turns automatically. It does certainly have a lot of potential. it reminds me of Civ 2 for some reason.

The game is taking a very long time to get going. Whether this is a bad or good thing I'm not sure, but you do certainly feel a bit held back in terms of production compared to Civ 4 (but only because of civilian rushing being taken out). I'm unsure whether I like this or not yet, need to see how things play out but I'm certainly not against the move, I always liked long game, and it does mean you need to decide a lot more carefully what you want to produce. Something you select now will give a result in 15 turns, rather than pretty much instantaneously in Civ 4 with rushing. Because buildings cost maintenance now and units cost a lot of maintenance you need to decide what to build, and the units you have need to go a long way for you.

I'm no longer breaking about even financially anymore like in Civ 4, I want to have a big surplus to help leverage actions in game. Which is good. I do wish build wealth was better though, much better to produce a unit and then kill it than to build wealth.

As of right now I don't really see the need to attack any of my neighbours apart from to push them back culturally away from my borders, because I have a lot of space and my cities aren't even near half their potential if I focused on buying tiles instead of rushing cities. Maybe you should start the game and focus on only a few cities, like 3 and then build up an empire later by conquest, i.e. capturing select juicy few high happiness/production powerhouses? Does anyone know what happens culturally when you take a city, do you retain the tiles the city owned or is it like Civ 4 when you were left with a 1 tile city?

Cultural expasion is difficult. You can't go for a science/conquest victory and expect to be in the lead in culture anymore. You have to specialize in culture. I suggest playing as the french if you are looking for a cultural victory.

When you take a city you get all the tiles that city expanded onto, including the ones that were bought by that city.

Does anybody know a way to fix this. The iron isn't working. It's making me not want to play the save.

I'm having the problem of entire maps being generated with no Iron present at all..anywhere. 3 games on Pangaea and even some on Continents and no Iron showed up. Oh, I have luxury resources everywhere and Horses in such abundance you can't even trade them to anybody...but not a single source of Iron.

At this point I don't see how Horses can be considered 'strategic' resources as they show up in dozens upon dozens of locations in every terrain type. Iron is apparently the rarest substance in the ciV universe.

I'm having the problem of entire maps being generated with no Iron present at all..anywhere. 3 games on Pangaea and even some on Continents and no Iron showed up. Oh, I have luxury resources everywhere and Horses in such abundance you can't even trade them to anybody...but not a single source of Iron.

At this point I don't see how Horses can be considered 'strategic' resources as they show up in dozens upon dozens of locations in every terrain type. Iron is apparently the rarest substance in the ciV universe.

You did discover iron working?

IIRC, you should still have the iron available even without the trade network. The capitol won't be able to use the iron until the trade network is linked, but that shouldn't be a problem for the city near the iron.

The only way you should have 0 iron available is if you have used it (units, buildings) or traded it away. From your description that sounds like it's not the case. Sorry--maybe you can upload a save of it and others could take a look?

Yep, I feel the same way. The maps seem larger, and the borders expand really slow. I like it--I have a nice balance of workers staying busy, but not wasting any hexes (or just a few). The "newness" of the gameplay will wear off, but I'm already much more immersed in the strategies for this version of Civ.

In the later game, when all the civs are talking and have histories with dealing with each other, things get really... neat... The city-states really add a layer that, IMO, is necessary. It's one of those forehead-slapping moments of "how come we didn't have this before???" Really a neat twist.

Yep, all across the board, decisions seem much more weighty now. I love it... you're forced to really consider cost/benefits of EVERYTHING. Putting a factory in a city that doesn't produce a lot may be a waste of coal... but maybe you'll have more coal in 10 turns if things work out with that city-state... etc.

Others answered the last question. In the 5 games I've played, I spent around 150-200 turns just meeting & greeting, expanding in my little bubble. Something will happen about that time, though--a war will break out, or the Songhai will settle *right* next to where your next city was going to go... and then you'll get the urge to send your army on its first mission.

Great post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

If you start building a unit that requires the resource, then it reduces by 1. So if you have 6 iron and you immediately start building 3 catapults and 2 swordsmen, you'll then have 1 iron showing available even before the units are built.

Also, if you get a puppet state, you get all the resources including the strategic ones. And if you become allied with a city state, you also get those resources as well - but only if they have built the appropriate improvement on it.

So for the resources to go down unexpectedly: you've started building a few units that require that resource.

For the resources to go up unexpectedly: a city state you are allies with has just completed the improvement on the resource.

Note that you dont need the puppet states to be connected via a road to your empire in order to get access to the resources that the puppet state has.

I am having this same problem but with Aluminum. It's just me and two other civs left, I control half of my continent, I have Electricity and Aluminum is on the map, I've got 3 different sources of it all being worked by the nearest cities.
And yet my Resource bar shows very clearly 0 Aluminum, with none being used or anything.
Needless to say this is making things go slowly for me in the modern age.

Edit: extra info

I don't think it is a coincidence that all three of my Aluminum resources were in land I captured from an enemy, and already had Mines built on them. The manual says that you get the resource when you build the improvement on the tile...I wonder if there is a bug in the way that resource tiles change hands when already improved?

Are the mines still under construction, or completed?

I am having this same problem but with Aluminum. It's just me and two other civs left, I control half of my continent, I have Electricity and Aluminum is on the map, I've got 3 different sources of it all being worked by the nearest cities.
And yet my Resource bar shows very clearly 0 Aluminum, with none being used or anything.

I don't think it is a coincidence that all three of my Aluminum resources were in land I captured from an enemy, and already had Mines built on them. The manual says that you get the resource when you build the improvement on the tile...I wonder if there is a bug in the way that resource tiles change hands when already improved?

Hmm. My first game I didn't have any access to coal but as soon as I conquered a city that did, I got the coal and had access to it.

For the OP, make sure there is an actual "Mine" on the Iron by mousing over it. Checking the strategic view with improvements showing to make sure that the workers actually finished the mine (A fully opaque icon, no transparent one with a blue bar next to it). My game had several unfinished improvements when I checked prob due to an enemy coming in range and stopping the work. With some improvements its hard to tell if they have been stopped midway through.
Also check to make sure you are currently not building any units that require iron. When you set a city to build a unit or building that requires a resource, it will reduce the value and set it as used since you are building it.
Also check to make sure that you are not accidentally trading it away to someone by going to diplomacy and checking the deals.

Are the mines still under construction, or completed?
The mines were completed long before I ever got my hands on them.
By all rights they should be functioning normally. I even made sure to lock citizens in them, so that they are guaranteed to always be worked-tiles.

The mines were completed long before I ever got my hands on them. By all rights they should be functioning normally. I even made sure to lock citizens in them, so that they are guaranteed to always be worked-tiles.

Given your post above this one - I wonder what would happen if you pillaged your own improvements on those tiles, then rebuilt the mines on the Aluminum resources?

(And I haven't gotten past Renaissance yet, so this may be a stupid question... but its definitely mines that provide access? Not a quarry or something dumb like that?)

Top Bottom