Where is the Manual?

Gelvan

Prince
I really don't believe this: after paying CHF 79.90 for Civ5 - I open the box and I don't have a manual??? only a "leaflet" saying the manual will be installed? WTF?

If there was a hint, on the box that it's not included (or only in the limited edition) okay, I would have bought the limited edition (CHF 120) I don't care that much about money.

But I DO care about manuals and I'm more than pissed off with take2 that there is no manual!

I really don't believe this, that's outragous.

After playing the demo and downloading the manual with 230 pages I really was convinced that take2 would bring back the civ feeling, but no manual is really a no go.

I'm really disappointed, also I've never ever read anything about the manual being a leaflet. I would have swallowed the steam thing (after using the demo, I already have steam anyway) but after buying civilization since Civ1 in EVERY form Civilization has ever come out (including special editions (Civ2fantasy etc.), ToT Civ4, Civ4Bts), I'm absolutely furious, that in the standard (?) version of Civ5 there is NO manual at all (yes, I don't call that leaflet a manual!).

F* however was making that descion.

Sorry for "bad language" but this is just nuts. I'll try to bring it back to the store and buy the limited edition (at least: if someone here can confirm that at least the limited edition has the manual with 230 pages, I hope so, for CHF 120...) even though it's not the store's fault, and it's already open so I don't really think that will work.

Maybe writing to take2 so they send it to me?

Bah, playing Fallout New Vegas now, glad I bought that one as well...

Well acording to this the LE does contain an artbook (zzzZzzz) but no manual as well.

In addition to the standard retail version, Civilization 5 will be offered in a special edition box to better stand the test of time. The bundle includes: five metal figurines based on in-game units, a two-disc CD soundtrack, the "Behind the Scenes at Firaxis on Civilization V" DVD and a 176-page hardcover art book. The special edition will build its first city in the the UK on September 24 for £60. (We've sent a messenger pigeon to 2K Games for confirmation of a North American release and price.)

Our recent preview of Civ 5 left us feeling good about the sequel's prospects. Yeah ... like, "just one more turn" good. We should probably go to a meeting.

Update: 2K Games confirmed to Joystiq the special edition will settle in North America on September 21 for $99.99.

Welcome to the times of Digital Download.

well, at least I don't have to try to get the printed manual, because it does not exist.
*pissed off*

ok, calm down, find you inner self, meditate.

I'm sure that I'll love civ5
but I don't like that take 2 guys at all..

I don't understand, you said you downloaded the 230 page manual, and then complain that there is no manual? Firaxis announced that they wouldn't be using paper manuals (to save trees was their stated reason), and would rather be using an interactive pdf. They even released it for download a few days before CiV was released.

So Firaxis anounced that? never EVER seen anything about that.
Yeah I now that they released that "digital manual" I've downloaded it ;)
But that was (for me, okay sorry I'm from the last century...) one of the main reason (together with a really good demo) to buy Civ5: the thought that there was a FAT manual as in:
- civ1
- civ2
- civ3
-alpha centauri
-master of magic
- civ4

Sure it's my fault if I did not read that "announcement".
Maybe all that senseless steam discussions distracted my reading ability or something like that.

still I think it's really a bad descision. Trees? let's talk about oil pest shall we? or office work?
what a lame excuse to save some $

They were being "socially responsible" by not printing a 200 page manual. Just another sign that Civ5 was rushed out the door with as little effort as possible.

http://www.civilization5.com/#/community/feature_manual

That was the page I've downloaded the manual. But: there is only written that civ5 will have a big interactive manual, that now can be downloaded. that's fine.
but I've not seen the thing about firaxis trying to be greenpeace - that there is an interactive manual should not mean there is NO normal manual - at least in my book (which I don't have haha).

you see I don't think I will complain much more - the whole thing is just another nail in the coffin of computer industry as it should be.

and I stupid person was disappointed with the manual in the Elemental Limited Edition. :D

oh dear, I really have to buy only games like fall out where you at least can buy a strategy guide...

I'm getting old, I see...

They were being "socially responsible" by not printing a 200 page manual. Just another sign that Civ5 was rushed out the door with as little effort as possible.

Well.....

1) I'm pretty sure the people working on the manual probably didn't have to do much with the coding/design of the game.

2) They did bother to produce a 200 something page pdf manual, they just never printed it out, like they stated they would not do beforehand.

like they stated they would not do beforehand.
I, for one, did NOT read that - especially not on the box.
But I seem to be not the person that was the main customer they wanted to attract.
Maybe they thought I've bought too much paper from them already?
Is there a limited supply of wood in Northern America lately?
but then to make an art book - yeah - that's so green.
:lol:
after all I can laugh about that. But somehow I really don't get it.

Civ V has enough real problems without people complaining about trivial things like this.

Did you expect the game box to state "there is no manual inside" ?

Not having a paper manual is more economical, (printing manuals ain't cheap and who has to pay for it in the end? That's the right, the customer.) more environmentally friendly (it's just about the only thing they could have done to be environmentally friendly aside from using recycled plastic which isn't Firaxis' decision anyway), and more efficient (Paper manuals can't be patched - and the online manual has many errors).

And what about the oodles of people who bought the game as a digital download? Are they supposed to miss out on a manual?

Honestly did you really need your own thread and a double post all for this one thing?

honestly no.
it's just a thing I got used to in the last 24 years, but which - it seems - I have to forget about from now on. (digital download and all of that)
there's always an argument pro and contra and maybe you are right and this is trivial - it's just not trivial to me.
I would gladly pay more, just to have it, to read in the train, to look at it when my computer isn't available. I like books and maybe the next thing you say is that books shouldn't be printed, because of the ecology? about the patches: the MoM and Alpha Centauri manuals have also "errors" because of patches, but when I bought MoM on Gog lately (because my old discs have vanished in time and space) I was really happy that I had my old manual because - to me - it's just not the same, to read a "book" or to look on a computer screen.

but since I can't change it, I shut up now, as you have advised me to. sorry for disturbing peace.
And btw I don't think civ5 has "enough real problems" it's a great game so far. (ok, I've only played the demo, but even that convinced me, that it's a great game). flaws will be corrected, and it's much better than vanilla civ4 was (once upon a time).

Civ V has enough real problems without people complaining about trivial things like this.

Maybe a thick manual would have been the right item to keep him occupied while the game is patched?

Not having a paper manual is more economical, (printing manuals ain't cheap and who has to pay for it in the end? That's the right, the customer.) more environmentally friendly (it's just about the only thing they could have done to be environmentally friendly aside from using recycled plastic which isn't Firaxis' decision anyway), and more efficient (Paper manuals can't be patched - and the online manual has many errors).

If the customer is paying for it, and clearly a download version of the game wouldnt come with it, wouldnt it be a choice?

And what about the oodles of people who bought the game as a digital download? Are they supposed to miss out on a manual?

You state things above that make it seem like you dont like paper manuals, so i dont see how theres any 'missing out'. Again, it would have been choice. Digital download? Digital manual. Extra cost? Get a paper manual.

Honestly did you really need your own thread and a double post all for this one thing?

Honestly, if you dont care about a paper manual, did you really need to post here? Personally, i understand wanting that tangible manual, especially in the digital download era. CD's for example, are on the decline, but guess what? Vynal records are gaining steam (no pun). Why? People like that physical item in their hands. People enjoy the lyrics, the list of people who worked on the project, the artwork, etc.

Is just me or is the manual filled with a lot of errors and bugs?
I mean it may not matter....

I like how no one is ever happy with this game. Like there is not enough to complain about, but the paper manual that only a small percentage of the gaming population uses anymore. I love my SMAC manual, but i love that game so much more, and the manual didn't make or break the game for me.

The way games are today, things are constantly changing due to user feedback and constant patching that internet provides... it make almost more sense to have a manual being built into the game, so when the game changes the manual does itself.

Honestly, if you dont care about a paper manual, did you really need to post here? Personally, i understand wanting that tangible manual, especially in the digital download era. CD's for example, are on the decline, but guess what? Vynal records are gaining steam (no pun). Why? People like that physical item in their hands. People enjoy the lyrics, the list of people who worked on the project, the artwork, etc.

Vinyl Records? haha... Audiophiles like those. Digital downloads are projected to outsell all CDs this year, with another year of expected expanding growth rate.
Yes, i understand the need for the physical item in hand, such as my need to have U2 cds, when i have the downloads already. But i'm not upset nor do i need to have a long rant on a forum about how I don't have the physical items (i love Keane, but i don't have their CDS), when i still have access to it digitally.

Trust me, the manual has so many errors in it that it would have been a disservice to civ5 players to print it. ;)

Even the tech tree had inconsistencies with the release version of the game.

I love it, it has at least something of a manual (you know, Bethesda style) which of course I'm not content with at all, but since I already knew that Bethesda never made good manuals, and furthermore, since there is a great strategy guide I already ordered, this doesn't bother me as much, as in the case of civ5.

Firstly because I knew Firaxis as a really great company (regarding games and manuals) - I wholeheartedly (sp?) recommend to anyone to read the last pages of Alpha Centauri's (fantastic) manual, so you'll see what Firaxis once was. Okay they may still be, but the take-it-or-leave-it-2-us company seems to have destroyed much of it. Secondly: because there was a manual for download with 230 pages, which I really thought, would be in the box. An announcement? oh sorry that in the last few months I did not read every announcement of take 2 marketing!!

Firaxis was known for big fat manuals coming with their games, but now they don't do it anymore because some brilliant guy at Take2 said: "oh, come on, we could make even more profit, if we don't print it". And they got away with it, by telling us - customers? no FANS! - how glad we could be to get a manual in digital form (which we already had in every iteration of Civ called Civilopaedia!) - and the unbelievable thing is: most people just say: yeah! cool!

that's a bit irritating.. but okay, to each his own.

And people, mods, fans and fellow customers - it doesn't bother me if somewhere in a manual the cost for xy is wrong. that's not the point, the point of a manual is a portable, readable, backgroundstory to a game. If you don't believe this, then read the AC manual or the MoM manual again..

oh and about Vegas, I really like it, but I was a big fan of Fallout 3 - so I'm biased - and it seems quite similar only a bit better mechanic wise. But before all, it's a great (!) new story and that's better than play Fallout 3 a thierd time through. (that's what I say after 6h play and being nowhere but the start ;))

That sasi: I'll love Civ5 (after I've cooled down a bit about that manual thing, which really bothers me personally and even if I'm the only one on earth who is bothered about that, it's my right as human being, to express feelings, smile). As I loved every Civ (even Civ3 - only afterwards I didn't like it anymore). Furthermore: I can play Civ again! only one more turn, and all of that! Especially since I now played 5 years Fall from Heaven because I did (as I say now - afterwards) not like Civ4 BtS Vanilla that much... ;)

Here

I bet it is buggy though. Either that or it shows how the game is supposed to work before they started to tweak it and made it unstable. :mischief:

Thank you! :)
*ordered*
I'll tell you how it is ;) (although it takes a while until it comes over the big ocean, far up to the hills I'm living: 30 days according to my online book store.. - anyway. thanks a lot!)
Civ5 seems to be stable on my computer, so it seems I'm really lucky. :)

Top Bottom